CB radio mounting location?

• HTML tutorial

LBHubz

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Long Beach, CA, USA
Member #

Looking to add a CB radio to my 2018 Tacoma. I would like it to be out of the way (not on Dash). Looking at maybe the armrest compartment. This is my daily driver so placement is Key. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I would suggest any location where it is easy to operate and not a distraction while driving, I mounted my radio between my visors and above the rear view mirror on the cab ceiling. That way I can keep my eyes on the road while changing channels or what ever. I used to have it mounted under the dash and it would really pi**off my Wife when I would be looking down instead of watching the road or trail.

Attachments

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I would suggest any location where it is easy to operate and not a distraction while driving, I mounted my radio between my visors and above the rear view mirror on the cab ceiling. That way I can keep my eyes on the road while changing channels or what ever. I used to have it mounted under the dash and it would really pi**off my Wife when I would be looking down instead of watching the road or trail.
While I drive a 2003 Silverado, I ran into a similar dilemma. The pockets in the console had no depth, or air vent tubes behind the back of the pockets would interfere with the cable/power wires and their routing. My solution was to buy some "WIDE" Velcro tape and attach the pieces to the passenger side of the console, and the back of the CB. Depending on model or make of the CB, you may or may not need a external speaker. It is very secure and does not shift from it's set position. The unit is readable from the drivers position, and is adjustable. Once set to your channel, you can have the mic anywhere within reach. I found the tape at Fry's electronics.

Reactions: Flipper and LBHubz

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

While I drive a 2003 Silverado, I ran into a similar dilemma. The pockets in the console had no depth, or air vent tubes behind the back of the pockets would interfere with the cable/power wires and their routing. My solution was to buy some "WIDE" Velcro tape and attach the pieces to the passenger side of the console, and the back of the CB. Depending on model or make of the CB, you may or may not need a external speaker. It is very secure and does not shift from it's set position. The unit is readable from the drivers position, and is adjustable. Once set to your channel, you can have the mic anywhere within reach. I found the tape at Fry's electronics.
Great idea! Gotta love Velcro. Cobra makes a unit with a front loaded speaker.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My truck CB is this size. It does not interfere with a passengers leg room.97683I have the Uniden PRO 520 XL, but the step-down model 510, is just slightly shorter. Both work well also in fitting without much interference between the console and seat. On my setup, it is tight, and a little care when moving the seat fully forward is necessary.

EDIT: You do need a external speaker, as these 2 units have a bottom firing speaker!

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I run a uniden cmx760. There’s the main radio that gets mounted under the seat or under the dash or somewhere out of sight. The microphone gets plugged into the front of the radio with an Ethernet type of plug and the handheld mic has all your buttons and screen in it. It comes with a cable extension with a little square on the end so you can plug the mic in. It’s the most concealable radio I’ve found. The first picture you can see my setup under the passenger seat. The top is an external speaker. The bottom is the radio. The wire coming out of the front is the mic cord.

(I’m realizing now that I don’t have a picture of the mic itself. I can take some pictures if you’d like)

IMG_6015.JPG
View attachment 97791

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
I have a Tacoma and use the Tech Deck from Bird Dawg Industries. http://www.birddawgindustries.com/tech-deck.html

I use a Cobra 75 WX ST all-in-one handheld. The control box is mounted under the passenger seat. When it's not in use, the hand mic (radio) stows under the passenger side seat; the mic holder is mounted on the Tech Deck for easy access by either the driver or passenger.

IMG_2244.JPGIMG_2256.JPGIMG_2262.JPG

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
Sorry, I didn't see that you have a 3rd gen. Not sure if Bird Dawg make a mount for your model. Maybe check with them.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
run a uniden cmx760. There’s the main radio that gets mounted under the seat or under the dash or somewhere out of sight. The microphone gets plugged into the front of the radio with an Ethernet type of plug and the handheld mic has all your buttons and screen in it. It comes with a cable extension with a little square on the end so you can plug the mic in. It’s the most concealable radio I’ve found. The first picture you can see my setup under the passenger seat. The top is an external speaker. The bottom is the radio. The wire coming out of the front is the mic cord.
This looks good. CB really hasn't evolved since the 70's. It's nice to see Uniden stepped up. My question is, on your cmx760, How is the squelch? I looked at several U-Tube videos and they couldnt raise it high enough to cover the background static.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Velcroed to the back of my center console behind the seats. I don't need to see it. Channel rarely changes so don't need quick access.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
This looks good. CB really hasn't evolved since the 70's. It's nice to see Uniden stepped up. My question is, on your cmx760, How is the squelch? I looked at several U-Tube videos and they couldnt raise it high enough to cover the background static.
I think it’s okay. I don’t have a huge amount of experience with cb’s. My squelch is set usually to 2 or 3. If there’s a lot of background noise, I can turn on the ANL. Which has two settings. Usually the first setting is plenty. If the squelch is at 3. I can turn ANL on and drop the squelch to 2 or sometimes even 1 and it’s quiet unless a strong signal comes through. I will say that the volume is lacking. With tires and wind noise, the little speaker in the mic is almost useless

Cobra also has a similar style radio. The cobra 75wx. No experience with this radio for me. Others have loads of stuff to say about that radio

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
think it’s okay. I don’t have a huge amount of experience with cb’s. My squelch is set usually to 2 or 3. If there’s a lot of background noise, I can turn on the ANL. Which has two settings. Usually the first setting is plenty. If the squelch is at 3. I can turn ANL on and drop the squelch to 2 or sometimes even 1 and it’s quiet unless a strong signal comes through. I will say that the volume is lacking. With tires and wind noise, the little speaker in the mic is almost useless

Cobra also has a similar style radio. The cobra 75wx. No experience with this radio for me. Others have loads of stuff to say about that radio
Thanks for replying back. I'm going to assume 1-2 is barely on and 9-10 is highest. The remote mounted CB's in the past have always been a joke. Horrible output and barely recognizable mic audio. In the past I have never even considered one. With my new Tacoma, I have an issue with radio mounting. My ham has a removable face plate so that works. CB was not looking promising. This may be the answer. What sucks is, the only reason I need a CB is, when I'm in a group off-road.
I think I'm going to give this a shot.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Thanks for replying back. I'm going to assume 1-2 is barely on and 9-10 is highest. The remote mounted CB's in the past have always been a joke. Horrible output and barely recognizable mic audio. In the past I have never even considered one. With my new Tacoma, I have an issue with radio mounting. My ham has a removable face plate so that works. CB was not looking promising. This may be the answer. What sucks is, the only reason I need a CB is, when I'm in a group off-road.
I think I'm going to give this a shot.
Checked the manual really quick. The squelch goes from 0-7. I’m usually at 2 . And the mic Audio is pretty terrible. It needs an external speaker. From what the manufacture claims, it will put out a full 4 watts. No one Iv ever talked to has mentioned bad audio quality over the air.

I ran outside and too some pictures. You’ll see a little black cube. That usually lives between the passenger seat and the center console. The mic just plugs into that when it’s needed

IMG_6687.JPGIMG_6689.JPG

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The nice thing about the Uniden CMX760 is the mic uses a RJ45 jack so it is easy and cheap to build an extension cable so the body can be mounted almost any where. You could put a simple RJ45 jack in the dash to plug the mic into and make for super clean install.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I made an overhead console to put reading/map lights, switches and radios in my Willys. The blank spot on the right is where my FT-2900 2 meter Yeasu ham radio is now.

Sorry for the poor photo, I'm trying to figure out how to glue/attach some insulation to the roof.

Attachments