Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

How do you guys store and carry your Cat Iron while Overlanding and traveling? I'm in the process of searching for some sort of bag or something to store mine in while in transit.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I’ve switched over to @BrienWenkel’s solution.
Like this idea!!! My last trip out, which was my shakedown run for my new rig, I had issues with the camp kitchen aspect and storage. Think this will work!

thanks for sharing this!!

Reactions: RainGoat

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg I use bags made for scaffolding clips. They are round and made with two webbing handles. Very usefull. Hung from hooks on the inside of my truck bed

Last edited:
Reactions: Minjin

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I appreciate that they seal up. I’ve felt okay leaving them outside in the wet & wildlife. In a pinch, they could even ride on the rack but that would only be to free up internal space for something unexpected as it would otherwise be very inconvenient on the roof.

I also found that because they stack, I can put it up on the crate & it’s at a much better working height.

DeWalt has a similar 22” solution. I actually like their smaller box better (& this great clear covered one) but the Rigid crate is way more useful than the DeWalt one. Plus Rigid is cheaper & I like their lock mechanism between boxes better.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I use the crate to carry my chainsaw. I cut a hole big enough for the bar with the bar for to slide through. It works great. I have a trail rack over my spare tire, it rides there. I place other boxes and bins in front of the bar, so a casual glance is hard pressed to even see my saw.

Reactions: RainGoat

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I use the crate to carry my chainsaw. I cut a hole big enough for the bar with the bar for to slide through. It works great. I have a trail rack over my spare tire, it rides there. I place other boxes and bins in front of the bar, so a casual glance is hard pressed to even see my saw.
I just found Camp Maid makes skillet totes similar to dutch oven totes. 3 sizes, the small sits my 10.25 Lodge and the large my 13 1/4. There is a medium as well. 3 packs available on Amazon but I bought mine from Camp Maid website as they have 25% off sale and free shipping.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I slide my skillet and Dutch oven, and sometimes a griddle, in the spot below the water jugs. Spare fuel bottles go in also. FF6F0EC0-DD4B-46DC-9D82-343FBBDE5934.jpeg

Reactions: lhoffm4

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My griddle & 10” skillet go in my Medium Rigid Tool Box I use as my camp kitchen box. (Credit to @brienwankel / @handsomeanchor)

Last edited:

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Has anyone seen the Lodge and Camp Chef (or Camp Maid) dutch oven tote bags and can comment on the better bag? Nobody around me would carry something like that to see them myself.

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
IMG_4864[1].JPG

My complete cast iron cookware set lives in this crate apart from the tripod and chain which is in its own carry bag.
1 gallon dutch oven with lid
1 10" skillet
1 Trivet
1 lid lifter
1 waffle pan
1 pair of gauntlets
1 solid ribbed griddle ( grill) which is full length of the crate
Not a bad set for 54 english quid and that black iron pot hangs perfectly level on the chain.

Last edited:

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I have a wood box the set came in but it’s bulky so I got the black canvas bags from Cabelas. Makes it easier to pack individual DO pots and skillets

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Has anyone seen the Lodge and Camp Chef (or Camp Maid) dutch oven tote bags and can comment on the better bag? Nobody around me would carry something like that to see them myself.
I have one that I use to store my 10" dutch oven. They have a little padding around the sides to keep it from knocking about, and a little pocket under the lid. It's pretty well made and does the job just fine. It's held up after about a year of use. I got my from Sportsman's Warehouse.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am not sure if you have seen these.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Cast iron pan - I like it very while on the road! For storage while not in use I just wrap a kitchen towel around the cast iron pan and put it in the kitchen storage box.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I really only bring along my cast iron griddle and I just put that in a heavy garbage bag and put it in the bottom of my cook kit.

Reactions: El-Dracho