Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Besides Rotopax or Jerry-cans, how are others carrying extra fuel?

N

NorthWest Xploder

Besides Rotopax or Jerry-cans, how are others carrying extra fuel?
I am currently using eagle cans on my rear carrier. Future plans id like to get a spare tire sized auxilary fuel tank.

Reactions: Speric

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I am currently using eagle cans on my rear carrier. Future plans id like to get a spare tire sized auxilary fuel tank.
Those are nice too. I'm wondering if anyone uses any of those gas containers you see at the auto-parts stores. They seem to be fairly inexpensive. Just wondering if they hold up to jarring around. I've only used one once when I ran out of gas back in high school because my gauge was broken.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
For the times I do take fuel with me I take this. Surprisingly the fancy valve hasn't failed me in 3 years of use now. And I've never once smelled gas fumes from it.

Can't get the Amazon link to work.

1589994142142.png

Last edited:

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I know you're not looking at rotopax but here's my opinion.

I was pretty anti-rotopax until I bit the bullet and bought their 3.5 gallon tank. I thought they were overpriced for what they are, but after my last trip I liked how convenient it was to take off and on. They secure well using their mounts. It was a bit over a $120 investment but it just flat out works. Some people complain about the fill tube but to me it works just fine.

Attachments

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I've two very old jerry cans and a 3 gal rotopax. Gonna sell the rotopax and replace the old beat up steel cans with new Midwest Can jerry cans. I tried the rotopax and just don't care for it. Even replaced the spout and added the vent kit. Just don't care for it.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Bought a VP Fuels 5 gallon container to try out. It was about $33 with tax. Used to use them on the sprint car and they worked pretty well. I'll need to build a lockable holder for it and mount it in the truck bed.
I use them for my H2O, I added a ball valve to the hose, I love them.

Reactions: TexasGMG

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I went with one of these. Found a 5gal can online for $30. I kinda like the idea of metal gas can over a plastic one. Plus it's pretty small given how much it holds.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Bought a VP Fuels 5 gallon container to try out. It was about $33 with tax. Used to use them on the sprint car and they worked pretty well. I'll need to build a lockable holder for it and mount it in the truck bed.
I run the VP cans too. way easier to use than others. don't mount up with anything fancy and they take up some extra space but i don't get gas down the side of my jeep when i fill it.

Reactions: TexasGMG

jcx03

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

los angeles
First Name
joseph
Last Name
c
Member #

Currently carrying 2 of these. Made by Midwest, sold by hf. Midwest is sold at a bunch of places like tractor supply, Autozone, etc.

Reactions: Downs and TexasGMG

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

I have used both Rotopax, normal cheap cans, and Jerry's of different brands and materials (metal and the polymer jerry shaped container) and the Rotopax by far is the better constructed. I know people occasionally have issue with the mounting brackets with swelling from heat or elevation change, and of course they come with the stupid 'no spill' spout that is easily changed, but their construction is much more durable in my experience, stands up to rubbing well, doesn't leak fumes or gas, and overall just keeps the gas inside.

If you are going with something other than those listed above I would agree with others and trying the VP race type containers, simple, easy to pour. Negatives would be they are bulky and they vent gas out the open nozzle, and so storage options are more limited.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I bought a Rotopax once (not sure why now to be honest), the crap nozzle buggered on the first use, so I swapped it out with a regular one..... then gave it to a friend's daughter as she needed something to hold some extra fuel.

I swear by my Scepter MFC's. I believe they are almost unobtanium in the US, or very pricey if you can find them. I've beaten mine up over a number of years now, from one extreme temperature ot another, laying flat or standing up. It doesn't seem to matter, they are just the best fuel cans out there. I'm sure I could drive over one with ho harm down to it. They also empty in a matter of seconds due to an internal venting thru the handle.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I bought a Rotopax once (not sure why now to be honest), the crap nozzle buggered on the first use, so I swapped it out with a regular one..... then gave it to a friend's daughter as she needed something to hold some extra fuel.

I swear by my Scepter MFC's. I believe they are almost unobtanium in the US, or very pricey if you can find them. I've beaten mine up over a number of years now, from one extreme temperature ot another, laying flat or standing up. It doesn't seem to matter, they are just the best fuel cans out there. I'm sure I could drive over one with ho harm down to it. They also empty in a matter of seconds due to an internal venting thru the handle.
Yeah because they aren't CARB or EPA approved. But the gov gets to exempt itself from such things so the military continues to use them as needed.

They make a civilian version with the fancy spouts.

I've heard of people taking the blue water cans and changing out the seals for viton seals and using those as fuel can's. Not sure i'd go that route lol.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

These work fantastic in a truck bed. This was how I used to do it when I had a full size truck.

Reactions: TexasGMG and MMc

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Any issues with leakage? I used mine for the first time this week, and by the time I got to my camp you could see some spillage.

I also found it a bit difficult to pour into my tank. Kinda bummed.