Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So, I already asked in my insta stories and I got a 100% deffo yes. But since there are some 'experts' here I'm gonna ask here as well :P

I'm not a amazing photographer, got a huge budget, or skill for that matter. I 'just' have a Canon EOS 1100D that I have had for years and years now. But since I've been using Instagram more and more I am trying to improve my pictures a bit. All these years I've been shooting with the EFS 18/55 kit lens the camera came with but I'm reaching its (mainly zoom) limit quite often now.

As I only have a simple camera bag that only keeps my camera I was looking for a all-round lens that could still fit the camera inside the camera bag. So I stumbled on the Canon EFS 18/135 IS STM lens.

Online I find quite good reviews, Only 'bad' ones are from people who put it against lenses that cost 5 times as much.. But anybody here has any experience with them? It at least needs to be better than the kit lens :P

DirtySantana

Rank II

Pathfinder I

Hurricane
Glass is probability the most important thing you can buy for your camera since it will follow you from camera body to camera body. The real trick is to learning to use your camera. Take the time to really learn to use the camera in it’s full manual functions and take lots and lots of photos. Then when you’ve take lots of photos keep taking more photos.

The other thing you can do is to study other photographers work and not just what you see on Instagram but actually study a photographers work and one who is able to go into the details on how they create their images. Study their composition, color, lighting, shot angle, subject matter and how they tell their story through imagery. Don’t get sucked into photoshop and how to edit out your mistakes. Take better photos from the start so your spending less time editing.

I have been taking photos for a long time and that’s what will get you the results your looking for not and expensive lens and body.

Now with that said if you have reached the plateau of extensive picture taking then I would consider more or updated equipment. I find that when folks are learning early on they buy zoom lenses and then don’t really spend the time moving around since the feeling is that you can zoom in, so maybe consider prime lenses and perhaps you can pick up more that one prime for the price of the zoom lens your after.

Now I take photos for a living and shot with b/w film when I was first learning so you needed to be deliberate, that has gone out the window with digital. So take your time and really think through the image you are creating. I hate editing photos so I work hard to not spray and pray photography.

Hope this is not to much but is helpful to you.

Reactions: Baipin and [DO]Ron

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I hate editing photo's as well, mainly because I'm not good at it :P so most of the stuff I should is what you see is what you get :).
But on holidays I often try and get some distant thing that my eyes can pick up with ease on camera but find the 18/55 lacking the capability to do that. That's why I'm looking to upgrade it to something that still starts wide but as more zoom on the upper end.
My brother has the same kit lens but a 55/250 to go with it but I don't really wanna go carry a bag with multiple lenzes around.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Look into a nice used 24-105mm or a 24-70mm,it will be a nice jump in quality of the lens. If that is too much you can look at other makers that offer a canon mount. Sigma or Tamron.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Consider adapted lenses. You can get some great Contax/Yaschica lenses made by Zeiss for Canon bodies, M42, etc. If you don't mind manual focus, they're a great way to get high quality in an inexpensive and often smaller size. mflenses.com is a great resource.

Like DirtySantana said; bodies are temporary, but you keep lenses forever.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I'm almost always shooting on AF :P Really looking for some more soon so thats why I was looking at the 135. Concidered getting one used but for the ammount of cash I would just like the safety of warranty..

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

What about a 18-270mm lens?

I've had that one and the only thing I didn't like what the lack of zoom (I now have a Sigma 150-500mm which on my 35mm Sony APS-C camera gives me 225-750mm zoom)

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

What about a 18-270mm lens?

I've had that one and the only thing I didn't like what the lack of zoom (I now have a Sigma 150-500mm which on my 35mm Sony APS-C camera gives me 225-750mm zoom)
Been reading a bit on a Tamron 18-270mm, it is a little more expensive then a Canon 18/135 but from all review I read the zoom isn't really usefull on that lens because image quality gets sucky fast.. For the ammount of money I rather have a good lens with less zoom. Don't need that much zoom. If I go down that route I'll get a real zoom lens like you have and swap lenses..

Reactions: Baipin and Joey83

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

The equipment is less important than your "camera eye". Join a photography "Meetup" group. No pressure from the group. You can post your images on line along with the others and see how different folks see images. Have fun.

Impromptu shot last Saturday near Victor, Colorado.

Attachments

Last edited: