Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are both self employed. I own a commercial interior design firm, she is a life coach. We are travelling from Canada to the US for 1 month in April. While away, we both have to be connected, not an option. Initially I was thinking of a WeBoost and using our cell phones, but we overpay in Canada and each of our roaming rates would be $10/cdn/day/phone. So that is more than $600 for 1 month!

In the last few days, Ashley Giordano on Exp. Portal wrote a great article about off-grid internet, etc. I am now thinking maybe outright buying a mobile internet hot spot, then getting a US sim card? I suspect we will to through 20gb + in a month, maybe more as long as we don't really stream videos.

Any recommendations/thoughts/insight would be appreciated!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

It's been a long time since I had a mobile hotspot, however my phone does hotspot and I use it for about 2 weeks a month for work. It's a no contract phone through straighttalk, I pay $65 that includes 20g hotspot and I believe it operates on the Verizon network.
A weboost would still be a good thing I believe.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

When we drove from Calgary to Banff & Jasper, and then two nights in Edmonton, then to Glacier, my CradlePoint IBR900 mobile router never failed us. I had both a Cigarette Lighter plug, and well as a 110AC power cord. You don't really need something that powerful. It takes a 2FF Sim, You could purchase it as a pre-paid SIM, similar to Consumer Celluar. Where here in the States are you traveling to? David

North53Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

When we drove from Calgary to Banff & Jasper, and then two nights in Edmonton, then to Glacier, my CradlePoint IBR900 mobile router never failed us. I had both a Cigarette Lighter plug, and well as a 110AC power cord. You don't really need something that powerful. It takes a 2FF Sim, You could purchase it as a pre-paid SIM, similar to Consumer Celluar. Where here in the States are you traveling to? David

Thanks for that. We are doing Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, California + Oregon.

Been looking at this but can’t find much info on it for reviews:

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Troy,,
That GLocalMe.com device looks interesting, supports the "Cloud Sim" and/or your own sim. Good 4G coverage in Canada and the States where Cell Service is available. Per the web-site, you can Rent one for a 30 day minimum. Cleaver Try, before you buy.
Are you not visiting Washington State? Let us know if you get to Boise, I'll buy you a beer, if you consume.

David

Last edited: