Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Can anyone ID this bike rack? I think it's out of Australia. I don't think it would work for my 29" MTB on the front of my Patriot X1, but I'm interested in bike storage options for the X1. Bikes on the roof are not great, and having them on the back interferes with the spare tire carrier. Not many options left. I wish the X1 had a way to put bike racks on over the soft tent.

22-3.png

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

NJ5

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
NJ
Last Name
Jordan
It's called the "Towbar mount" but it actually mounts on the ball itself.
( Thule 970 Xpress 2 Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Carrier )
I wouldn't trust my bikes to the torsion (rotation? moment?) forces that a bumpy road would place around the ball.

I'd rather drill through something like the following if you're only trying to mount one bike:
Thule UpRide Roof Mounted Bike Carrier
You could either mount it directly to the tongue, or, to a plate that you could then weld to the tongue.

Or, if you wanted to use strap clamps and some strapping material around the tongue, this one might be easier to mount:
Thule FreeRide 532 Roof Mounted Bike Carrier 2015

For two bikes, I think the following rack would be better (in the same position over the tongue) for anything off-road:
Thule Camber 2-Bike Hitchmount Bike Carrier Black

I don't know what vehicle you're using, but would something like this be possible?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/D-192.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbvuhKr36AIVCZSzCh0YVgk8EAQYBSABEgLOoPD_BwE

Please keep us posted, with pics!

NJ

Reactions: QCrunner

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

It's called the "Towbar mount" but it actually mounts on the ball itself.
( Thule 970 Xpress 2 Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Carrier )
I wouldn't trust my bikes to the torsion (rotation? moment?) forces that a bumpy road would place around the ball.

I'd rather drill through something like the following if you're only trying to mount one bike:
Thule UpRide Roof Mounted Bike Carrier
You could either mount it directly to the tongue, or, to a plate that you could then weld to the tongue.

Or, if you wanted to use strap clamps and some strapping material around the tongue, this one might be easier to mount:
Thule FreeRide 532 Roof Mounted Bike Carrier 2015

For two bikes, I think the following rack would be better (in the same position over the tongue) for anything off-road:
Thule Camber 2-Bike Hitchmount Bike Carrier Black

I don't know what vehicle you're using, but would something like this be possible?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/D-192.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbvuhKr36AIVCZSzCh0YVgk8EAQYBSABEgLOoPD_BwE

Please keep us posted, with pics!

NJ
Thanks. I’ve decided to just get one of the ISI racks out of Australia.