Camping waste disposal?

• HTML tutorial

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I have been asked multiple times whether or not people should foxhole when they camp or bring a waste container for proper disposal with them or any number of other solutions for the daily "newspaper read". I personally tell them to use a Luggable Loo as it will attach to any 5 gallon bucket for easy transport and disposal. You could use any number of liners specifically made for this purpose however using a garbage bag with kitty litter and a septic deodorizer in it works just as well allowing for proper disposal when available. Granted it makes one more item that must be stored and takes up space but the trade off is not too bad.

This option helps stop the invasion of non-native "White Flowers" (bathroom tissue) from popping up in our forests and also helps keep our camp sites much more clean and sanitary. All too often while out and about I come across waste sites where people have dug foxholes and it is heartbreaking to see a wadded up mess of bathroom tissue in the middle of the forest, desert etc. Now to some this may not be that big of a deal and their excuse could be that it is far enough away to not be of concern. However, this is still a concern as while yes it is paper and will eventually biodegrade it is still bleached white paper that holds no benefit if it does biodegrade and it will take some time to do so therefore it is just an eyesore.

Again, we must keep where we travel and camp clean because as we have seen on the Rubicon where I live it can be shut down in a matter of minutes through the proper channels because some people do not respect their land use privilege enough to be mindful. I for one do not want to see anymore of our National Forests or Parks become inaccessible due to careless individuals.

Last edited:

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I agree. Especially in todays setting. The increased volume of people that are joining the community for short, long or always have been adventurers. We have been using the RESTOP 2 bags for years now. These have become my favorite choice of systems. I modify them with silica powder for better liquid absorption.
I feel it goes a little deeper than just Charmin Blossoms though. Overall, human waste has changed due to manufacturing and processing of foods and can have a more difficult time breaking down in nature. But I am not a scientist
Another issue I have seen, is cat hole procedures are not being followed correctly. This is simply a teaching / learning thing that can be corrected though.
It is just my personal preference to Pack it IN / Pack it OUT.....all of it!!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We use a portapottie with a 5 gal holding tank, that is good for about a week out. When we get home a quick flush down the toilet and done. I call it the pottie patrol which I have the honor doing.

Reactions: Robert Jordan

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I’m going to step out on a limb here. I’ve always dug cat holes. I’ve always buried the toilet paper in the cat hole. Away from the campsite, not in any areas where water run off could leach fecal matter into natural water sources etc. Also always buried at least 6-10 inches. This is how I was taught in boy scouts, that’s how all the manuals and field guides we read laid it out.

Now, I know times change and the context can change. It’s small minded and illogical to say “this is how I do it because that’s how I’ve always done it”.

I agree with the concern about people digging cat holes in poor locations, disturbing plants and native species, and most of all leaving toilet paper just floating around. That’s stupid and irresponsible.

However, I honestly haven’t heard any reason outside of greater personal comfort, that seems to be a compelling reason to not do what I laid out that I DO do above.
So what am I missing? Why are once accepted responsibly dug catholes now considered irresponsible? I guess if anything, catch me up to speed on the changes that have sparked this anti-cat hole movement?

Honestly not trying to spark confrontational debate. Open to learning and changing if I’m wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
@f250ben
I see no issue with the practice you follow. This is what I was referring to, teaching / learning.
I feel correct and complete instruction with practice goes a long way in teaching.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The problem is education! Use whatever system is appropriate for the situation, for instance NF, BLM, NPS and so on have different requirements depending on the location. As Robert talks about the White Flowers are a problem especially in sensitive areas and by sensitive I refer more to who is looking at the White Flowers. We need to teach and talk about being good stewards of the land otherwise the people that don't want us on that land will win and we will not have the privilege any longer.

I have chosen to play it safe and use a PETT toilet always, I just don't want to give anyone an opportunity to raise the issue and make it a point of contention.

Reactions: Robert Jordan

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

The problem is education!
Agreed, the problem is always education. Folks who take the initiative to learn normally aren't the issue. How to educate those who spend time outdoors but don't take responsibility for their actions.

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

If I am "out bush" then I still dig a cat hole following the guidelines we all know. But I always burn the toilet paper in the hole as that was how I was taught to do it. And "leave no trace" principles apply at all times. Once finished the only visible signs should be the odd footprint.

Properly buried human waste should begin to break down in the soil within days and be effectively gone in a month or so.

The only exceptions would be in snow or desert conditions where I don't tend to go overlanding.

Reactions: Trick3d