Camping in Crede, Co

• HTML tutorial

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

We are spending a couple nights in Cede on our way to Ouray. Was hoping for some tips on places to camp. Will be there on July 3rd and fourth. Thanks for any help. Joel

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We are spending a couple nights in Cede on our way to Ouray. Was hoping for some tips on places to camp. Will be there on July 3rd and fourth. Thanks for any help. Joel
You can take 4WD roads for a large portion of the route between Creede and Ouray. Is that your plan?

There is a lot of camping on Stony Pass.....a few of us were just there a week ago.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

You can take 4WD roads for a large portion of the route between Creede and Ouray. Is that your plan?

There is a lot of camping on Stony Pass.....a few of us were just there a week ago.
We will be pulling a m416 military trailer and was planning on taking cinnamon pass from lake city to Animas fork, then onto Ouray. Will look into Stony pass. Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is a lot of dispersed camping in the Crede area? WQe wanted to spend the 4th there doing the bachelor loop and a few other things. Thanks again, Joel

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We will be pulling a m416 military trailer and was planning on taking cinnamon pass from lake city to Animas fork, then onto Ouray. Will look into Stony pass. Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is a lot of dispersed camping in the Crede area? WQe wanted to spend the 4th there doing the bachelor loop and a few other things. Thanks again, Joel
I dragged a little military trailer over Stony once. It did get old. Stony is long and rocky. Cinnamon will be smoother and shorter. Good choice for a trailer.

Here's one campsite near Creede:

What's your route from Animas to Ouray?

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I dragged a little military trailer over Stony once. It did get old. Stony is long and rocky. Cinnamon will be smoother and shorter. Good choice for a trailer.

Here's one campsite near Creede:

What's your route from Animas to Ouray?
Thanks so much for the info. We had found a bit about the Rio Grande site, but not nearly the info you sent. As far as Animas to Ouray, We haven't decided yet. We want to see how the tow goes. I have towed for many years but never like this. Either we will shoot into Siverton and up the 550, or California to Hurricane, to Corkscrew, up to Ouray. Its part of the adventure. So looking forward to the cool mountain air. I wanted to piggyback the trip yall are doing, then on to Ouray but that damn work got in the way. Maybe next year. Thanks again for the info. Joel

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Jeepers29 Quoted; We are spending a couple nights in Cede on our way to Ouray. Was hoping for some tips on places to camp. Will be there on July 3rd and fourth. Thanks for any help.

Stoney pass is pretty treachurase for a trailer. But was the highlight of our trip if you ask me. Definitely a place I plan on returning to. But if you are just looking for a campsite it is a hours drive from the Creed side to that spot we camped at and was terrific. Also there are several campgrounds near that reservoir. That are not going to take you that far in. After John and I departed I took the route from the reservoir to Lake City. It was a very scenic drive.

It would be nice once all the madness is over to plan a yearly trip down to this area. Each year I go down there I have looked at exploring this or that. Circumstances have deterred me from exploring a certain spur or trail. (Poughkeepsie gulch closed) I just tell the buddy I'm with at the time (we will leave that for next time) just a good reason to return to the area right? As if we need one.

My wife and I are looking at the possibility of returning to this area the last week of July. And camping at a couple sites near where we were recently. Not planning to do any overlanding but just camping so that we can explore Telluride, Ouray and Lake City. We would like to do a couple coveted hikes in these areas. (Depending upon the weather).

Last edited:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Jeepers29 Quoted; We are spending a couple nights in Cede on our way to Ouray. Was hoping for some tips on places to camp. Will be there on July 3rd and fourth. Thanks for any help.

Stoney pass is pretty treachurase for a trailer. But was the highlight of our trip if you ask me. Definitely a place I plan on returning to. But if you are just looking for a campsite it is a hours drive from the Creed side to that spot we camped at and was terrific. Also there are several campgrounds near that reservoir. That are not going to take you that far in. After John and I departed I took the route from the reservoir to Lake City. It was a very scenic drive.

It would be nice once all the madness is over to plan a yearly trip down to this area. Each year I go down there I have looked at exploring this or that. Circumstances have deterred me from exploring a certain spur or trail. (Poughkeepsie gulch closed) I just tell the buddy I'm with at the time (we will leave that for next time) just a good reason to return to the area right? As if we need one.

My wife and I are looking at the possibility of returning to this area the last week of July. And camping at a couple sites near where we were recently. Not planning to do any overlanding but just camping so that we can explore Telluride, Ouray and Lake City. We would like to do a couple coveted hikes in these areas. (Depending upon the weather).
Thank you. We have been going to Ouray for several years around the 4th of July. There has only been 1 year that Black Bear and Poughkipsie were open. They usually don't open till after we leave. The area is scenic crack for sure.