US Rocky Mountain Camping and Exploring Capitol Reef NP - Utah - Look for OB Flag off Notam-Bulldog road

• HTML tutorial

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Camping Memorial Day weekend - BLM land off Notam-Bullfrog Road on the East side of Capitol Reef NP - Check GPS Coords

We'll be traveling the Cathedral Valley Loop on Saturday May 25 - more information available here: Cathedral Valley - Capitol Reef National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Family Friendly Camping Friday through Monday, so come join us even if it is for a single night.

Please RSVP.. I'll be making camp donuts Saturday night and would like to have enough for everyone!

PM me if you're only coming for a specific night or two as well as RSVP so we can make sure we get a large enough area for us to all fit, especially if you are bringing a trailer.

Please be self- sufficient, no bathrooms, water, etc.

Download the KML on "Locations" tab for the route we will be taking.

View Rally Point
Reactions: jeepers29

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Camping Memorial Day weekend - BLM land off Notam-Bullfrog Road on the East side of Capitol Reef NP - Check GPS Coords
We'll be traveling the Cathedral Valley Loop on Saturday May 25 - more information available here: Cathedral Valley - Capitol Reef National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Family Friendly Camping Friday through Monday, so come join us even if it is for a single night.
Please RSVP.. I'll be making camp donuts Saturday night and would like to have enough for everyone!
PM me if you're only coming for a specific night or two as well as RSVP so we can make sure we get a large enough area for us to all fit, especially if you are bringing a trailer.
A-Aron

Let me see if I'm on call that weekend and hopefully I can make it.

Looks like the camp spot is S. or 24. which might make it hard to run the loop depending on how high the water is in the Freemont River. 2 years ago We could not make the water crossing on Memorial day weekend due to high water. There is a lot more snow this past winter. The KML does not indicate if the river crossing is first or last if the water is too high or fast there is an alternate path through the north of the park and down the west side.

Boort

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
A-Aron

Let me see if I'm on call that weekend and hopefully I can make it.

Looks like the camp spot is S. or 24. which might make it hard to run the loop depending on how high the water is in the Freemont River. 2 years ago We could not make the water crossing on Memorial day weekend due to high water. There is a lot more snow this past winter. The KML does not indicate if the river crossing is first or last if the water is too high or fast there is an alternate path through the north of the park and down the west side.

Boort
We will do the water crossing first, last week the water was at 20".. I'll call to check on it and update the thread here as we get closer! We'd love to have you join us.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Download the KML on "Locations" tab for the route we will be taking.
Do you know if dogs are allowed in this area?

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Do you know if dogs are allowed in this area?
From the NPS website for Capitol Reef:
"Pets are allowed on leash in the developed areas of the park: within 50 feet of center line of roads (paved and dirt) open to public vehicle travel, parking areas open to public vehicle travel, in unfenced and/or unlocked orchards, in the Chestnut and Doc. Inglesbe picnic areas, on the trail from the visitor center to the Fruita Campground, on the Fremont River Trail from the campground to the south end of Hattie's Field, and in the campgrounds.

Pets are not permitted on hiking trails, in public buildings, or in the backcountry." Pets and Other Regulations - Capitol Reef National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We are going to be in the backcountry...

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
From the NPS website for Capitol Reef:
"Pets are allowed on leash in the developed areas of the park: within 50 feet of center line of roads (paved and dirt) open to public vehicle travel, parking areas open to public vehicle travel, in unfenced and/or unlocked orchards, in the Chestnut and Doc. Inglesbe picnic areas, on the trail from the visitor center to the Fruita Campground, on the Fremont River Trail from the campground to the south end of Hattie's Field, and in the campgrounds.

Pets are not permitted on hiking trails, in public buildings, or in the backcountry." Pets and Other Regulations - Capitol Reef National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We are going to be in the backcountry...
That's the way I read it too, but hoped I was wrong. Thanks.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Just an update, Capitol Reef road conditions for our route are currently High Clearance 2wd through High Clearance 4WD.. water crossing was measured last at 13" as of last week, I'll check again later in the week, but we are going to plan to keep our original route. I will be posting a secondary camp site waypoint if our first choice is too muddy or less than ideal. Please RSVP and stay tuned!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Tina and I won't get there till late Friday night. Hope we can find you.
@Cendee is going to scout our camping spot and drop us some Coordinates thursday night or friday morning, shouldn't be too bad from there, @Knitron will be rolling in late friday as well

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
It is unlikely we'll have service due to the rugged terrain, here are some GPS Coordinates and Tracks to help you get to camp. We have decided on 1 of 2 locations, we will try the 1st location and if it is occupied or too muddy we will retreat to option 2.. either way, I will hang an OB Base Camp Flag off the turn off of the Notam Bullfrog road for either site with small battery powered lantern or light for those arriving past dark. I'll have the CB on CH16 and FRS radio on 22 -20.

Turn off for camp site one coordinates: 38.25733, -111.11867 Google Maps Link
Camp site one coordinates: 38.26084, -111.11844

Secondary Site turn off: 38.26319, -111.12817 Google Maps Link
Secondary Site Coordinates: 38.25627, -111.12484

In the unlikely even both locations are occupied we will find a spot to the West of location 2.. look for my trailer and lights if you are arriving in the dark.

Look forward to meeting you all there! Safe travels, and feel free to contact me before Friday afternoon if you have any questions. 435-572-0567

Attachments

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

@Cendee is going to scout our camping spot and drop us some Coordinates thursday night or friday morning, shouldn't be too bad from there, @Knitron will be rolling in late friday as well
So a little unexpected bump in the road here. Since I was off work sick Mon and Tues I am going to work Thurs and Fri to make up some hours. I wont be rolling in until Friday evening.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Water Crossing Measured at 12.5".. we'll stick to our original plan of running Cathedral Valley Clockwise tomorrow morning, see you at camp! We'll probably try and hit the trail by 9:30 or so...

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Water Crossing Measured at 12.5".. we'll stick to our original plan of running Cathedral Valley Clockwise tomorrow morning, see you at camp! We'll probably try and hit the trail by 9:30 or so...
What a great trip, are you considering doing a trip report with a few pics. I'll never forget this one....[emoji109]