Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Heres a thread for stuff we need to remember and the cute rhymes, poems, sayings, logic to never forget.
Great stuff for campfire gossip.

I'll start...

A good way to remember the correct wire rope clamp orientation is: 'Never Saddle A Dead Horse'.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

For boaters, right left, starboard port, red green.

5 letters in
Right & green.

4 letters in
Left & Port.

Makes Starboard Right
Port Red.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The Bowline knot.... most inportant, universal, fast, even blindfolded knot ever.

The rabbit came out of the hole, ran 'round the tree, and went back down the hole.

Reactions: Ghost

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy

5 letters in
Right & green.

4 letters in
Left & Port.

Makes Starboard Right
Port Red.
Bow forward and your aft will be to the stern.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

5 letters in
Right & green.

4 letters in
Left & Port.

Makes Starboard Right
Port Red.
If you can see both red & green simultaneously, heel to starboard. If you can see both colors - the other boat is on a potential collision heading. Adjust your course to until you only see the red. That way you will pass the other boat at a safe distance on your left.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
heres a good one to remember before going on a long hike..." WWL"

micky.png

Last edited:

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

The Bowline knot.... most inportant, universal, fast, even blindfolded knot ever.

The rabbit came out of the hole, ran 'round the tree, and went back down the hole.
I preach that knot to everyone I work with and for the past 10 years I still get tools lowered down to my with some kinda quadruple granny Macramé BS that takes me 10 minutes to unFu.....

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I preach that knot to everyone I work with and for the past 10 years I still get tools lowered down to my with some kinda quadruple granny Macramé BS that takes me 10 minutes to unFu.....
Funny...as a diver offshore, we'd be on bottom and need a tool send down the "down line", that is the knot we wanted to see. Ever so often, a new guy would send a tool down so knotted up it would take minutes trying to undo it, all the while, the dive supervisor is on the comms bitching wanting to know what is taking us so long.

• Haha

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Funny...as a diver offshore, we'd be on bottom and need a tool send down the "down line", that is the knot we wanted to see. Ever so often, a new guy would send a tool down so knotted up it would take minutes trying to undo it, all the while, the dive supervisor is on the comms bitching wanting to know what is taking us so long.
I was fortunate in having one grandfather that was a hard hat diver and another that was a commercial fisherman so I could probably tie a bowline before I could tie my shoes. Then being a lineman, firefighter, and doing mountaineering, & rock climbing for fun You kinda have to know working and rescue knots literally with your eyes closed. Now days I’m frequently working confined spaces under ground with nowhere to run when a 40-60# bucket of tools is being lowered down to me. I get more than a little bitchy when I look up the see some silly string looking attempt at tying a knot. The crazy part is my partner was in the freaking Navy. Isn’t that some kinda requirement?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The crazy part is my partner was in the freaking Navy. Isn’t that some kinda requirement?
Ha! Knot really. Before diving, I was on subs in the navy and about the only thing I got out of the navy was a bad hair cut. Boatswain Mates on surface ships learned rigging, rest of us did whatever. I was a line handler when the sub docked and un-docked and we pretty much looked like monkeys trying to get a rope to the tug boat or around a cleat on the pier. A lot of what I know is from working with foreign guys offshore...

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you can see both red & green simultaneously, heel to starboard. If you can see both colors - the other boat is on a potential collision heading. Adjust your course to until you only see the red. That way you will pass the other boat at a safe distance on your left.
If you see a boats red light, swing so he sees you red light too, otherwise you will cross paths.
Always approach red to red or green to green.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

If you see a boats red light, swing so he sees you red light too, otherwise you will cross paths.
Always approach red to red or green to green.
That’s the same thing, you just explained it in a more cohesive way! Not so good w/ my words.

Adding an auxiliary horn that has a lower tone is also a good idea while navigating skinny waters. They should be off the flat waters soon but I have encountered a LOT of pontoons on the water after dusk this year that run their dock lights all the time. They are idiots. None of them have a VHF or if they do they don’t turn it on or aren’t monitoring 16. I’ve had to use 1 horn for some. Both horns for some of the more lively pontoon passengers. Then there are the completely oblivious where I’ve had to use my spotlight to light them up to determine their heading & speed visually. It’s safer to assume that nobody on the lake has any idea what they are doing.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a red light over a white light means the boat is fishing at night

what is a red light over 3 white lights?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

a red light over a white light means the boat is fishing at night

what is a red light over 3 white lights?
Green over white is a trawling vessel w/ nets in. Green, white, white, red is a trawler pulling nets. Green, white, white, white is a trawler shooting nets. I spent a few summers growing up on shrimp boats.

I’m not familiar w/ any that have a single red & 3 whites.

I know that variations of 2 red & 2 white vertically indicate a vessel aground.