Camper Shell/Overland Bars/Bed Rack?

• HTML tutorial

What do you run on your truck bed for overlanding?

• Camper Shell

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Bed Rack

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Separated Overland Bars

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other? Post a comment!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

I drive a 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma (2013, Prerunner, 6ft bed) and the primary reason I do any extended camping/traveling with it is because I have an ARE camper shell. Before the camper shell, I had to get everything up in the cab before going out on a hike or leaving the campsite to have everything locked up. I got the camper shell from a family friend almost brand new for $200. I like the camper shell because it's pretty much weather proof and I'm able to store and secure more for extended trips. We camp directly in the camper similar to some other resources on the interwebs and don't need to run (or buy...) an RTT. We also primarily do established camping closer to what you might use with a camper van. Attached pictures of the truck and our DIY drawer storage/bed setup. Fits two adults and a 40 lb pup.

Since joining OB, I'm seeing more rigs with overland bars or a full bed rack and wanted to ask more experienced overlanders if I'm missing anything just looking at the camper shell (or help inspire another viewpoint!)

Pros/Cons if you run a camper shell, standalone overland bars, or full bed rack?

Camper Shell PROS
Availability Second Hand
Weather-proof
Securing gear inside
Can run a second roof rack if needed
Don't need an RTT if camping inside (less $$$ overall)

Camper Shell CONS
New cost more expensive than overland bars/bed racks
Need a rack to mount an RTT (more $$$)
Assuming fiberglass isn't as strong as steel/aluminum for pure offroading
Less stock mounting points for traction ramps, recovery, etc
Takes away from stock function of truck bed if daily driver for non-overlanding truck use

Pictures at Black Canyon Gunnison Ntl Park and Cheyenne Mountain Colo State Park

Attachments

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Aluminium camper shell, my wife and have from coast to coast (Inuvik to Newfoundland) in this
Hey Joe, I really like the camper shell you guys have! Any idea what brand? Mine is cab height and we use that space for sleeping, I like that yours has more head room haha

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
I dont have a taco, but I do have a camper shell. I think its a lund. Keep an eye on your local classifieds, (Kijiji, Craigslist?, facebook marketplace, and you can find them pretty cheap for a hundred bucks or so.)

I think camper shells are the ultimate deal to be honest. You can sleep in them. Store tons of crap, put roof racks on them and then you have storage on top. Really IMO the camper shell is the endgame.

The only downside of course is you loose the ability to haul tall items.