Investor

Endurance I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Daharsh
Member #

Im getting ready to replace mine. What is your favorite brand camp toilet and why. Im looking for something a little taller than normal and sturdy, but able to fold up compactly. While on the subject, what are your favorite toilet bags and where do you acquire them.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a Luggable Loo seat....in the bucket I use biodegradable bags and after droppin' duces I put cat litter on top....I will either bury it if I'm far off grid or I will through into another biodegradable bag with other "loads" until I can get it into a can or dumpster somewhere....

Seat

Bags

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've had, from L > R in the images below, a Reliance Luggable Loo (snap on lid for 5gal bucket) for over 8 years, a 3-legged Reliance Fold-To-Go for more than 10 years, and some generic snap on lid for I don't know how long, though it's never been used. Purchased at different times when I didn't have one or the other with me but wanted a commode either for company or back country camping.

My own preference, by far, is the 5gal bucket. I've always got room and other uses for a bucket, and usually store other stuff in it en-route. So, it's not taking up extra space. More comfortable in height, too. I'm not a fan of having to buy special bags continuously for this or that toilet device or using special gels to solidify urine. Or retrieving and setting up a portable toilet when needed.

Different ways for different folks and different preferences/needs.

I've learned over the years the key to portable toilets, ease of disposal, and keeping odors at bay is to keep solids and liquids separate. The offensive odors one gets with mobile and portable toilets is from the mixture of urine and feces. Keep them separate and the odors all but disappear, and the ease of which one can dispose of the waste is greatly increased.

Solids deposited into peat moss and mixed (I just jiggle/shake the bucket sufficiently when done) create an earthy garden smell, not offensive in the least. Urinate somewhere else first, or attach a urine diverter that re-directs it into a separate container. There are some clever arrangements on you tube. Rather easy, really, to get in the habit, and far easier to deal with the waste.

camp-toilets_6518-900.jpeg

camp-toilets_6519-900.jpeg
Pro Tip: If you get a Luggable Loo Seat Cover - Walmart, Amzn, Outdoor stores, etc, I suggest being sure you get the one with the ear on the lid like the one at left, not the one at far right. Along with the ear making it more convenient to open, the lid itself is a bit rounded and more rugged than the other one. The pics on amzn show both in the same offering, and it's not clear which they are really selling.

camp-toilets_6521-700.jpeg....camp-toilets_6520-700.jpeg

For the snap-on lid and 5gal bucket on the left, I use typical trash bags meant for 5 gal buckets, and when I can get them, thick bio-degradable 5 gal bags, to contain a quart of two of peat moss. I'll use another bag--usually a plastic grocery bag--snapped just under the removable seat part of the lid but across the open bucket top when not in use so I can shake/jiggle the bucket to stir the contents, so solids are better mixed with the peat moss.

When choosing bags, be aware that bio-degradable does not always mean compostable.

The Reliance Fold-To-Go on the right comes with it's own bags in a pouch under the lid, though I've never used them. Sometimes I'd dig a latrine trench and use the seat as a convenient perch for camp guests over the trench. Was up to the user, then, to sufficiently cover their part of the trench.

Over the years, the number of folks digging insufficient cat-holes, or no cat-holes at all, has caused a proliferation of visible human waste in even remote back country sites. Pack it in, pack it out, is by far the more recommended method. In a growing number of places it is demanded and you may be told "NO cat-holes; you must be prepared to pack out your own waste." I've not dug a cat-hole or latrine trench in years.

roomwithaview-900.jpg
Room With A View

You will also find that in separating solids and liquids that the bucket can be used far longer, I mean by several weeks, before having to dispose of the contents; even with two people using it. That means a hell of a lot less human waste being transported about in a bag on your spare tire until you find an appropriate place for disposal. In popular places around spots like Moab, etc, human waste being regularly dumped in dumpsters and commercial establishment trash cans around town has become a problem for locals.

As for odor from long-term usage, I've had a 5gal bucket right in the van inside the side doors on extended adventures, and those riding with me never wrinkled their nose or even suspected I had an on-board toilet; it is that un-noticeable.

I'll be using the same set up this summer, though have had a Nature's Head--a more evolved and easier to use version of keeping solids and liquids separate--sitting in a box for a few years for an off-grid cabin I had planned. I've never gotten around to installing it in the van. I may this year, though, as I redo my van interior to one with a more built-in floor plan.

They're great, too, and though portable in the sense you can easily move it to a shower tent or off-grid cabin and back because there is no plumbing to connect/disconnect, it certainly is not foldable. They come with a built-in urine diverter, separate urine container, and a 12v fan and vent hose. The fan and vent are more for helping the peat and solids to start composting than to vent odor.

For those interested in making their own 'composting' toilet with a urine diverter, you can get the Nature's Head Liquids Container as a separate item. I keep a spare one--in the image below--for use with the Nature's Head.

natures-head_6523-900.jpeg
Nature's Head

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Im getting ready to replace mine. What is your favorite brand camp toilet and why. Im looking for something a little taller than normal and sturdy, but able to fold up compactly. While on the subject, what are your favorite toilet bags and where do you acquire them.
We have used just about every folding brand on the market and now use the Thunder Box. Not cheap but very sturdy, tall and compact.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Unfortuntely the perfect travel toilet showed above is`nt available anymore. I did import them from the US to Europe at 2011. But I did found some other good products.

Here is a small market overview - about available portable and foldable camping toilet.

It was interesting to analyze the international market about the use of urine diversion toilet or UDT / UDDT (german article) who starts to get common for some high-end german Expedition Vehicle Builders in Germany, but dosnt seem to be an option for the US Overlanding market. To save water on the big trucks isnt a bad idea in my eyes.

For small vehicles these foldable toilets with certified corn starch bags (certified bio degrenable) with NO polyethylen makes more sense. But on bigger trucks - or even more in natural parks it makes sence to consider them - like it already get done: backcountry-sanitation-manual and technology review of uddts...

trippin
I don't know of any simple, inexpensive, urine diverter toilets in the US, though there are some more expensive alternatives like the Nature's Head I posted above (I have one) and the Airhead, which was started by a guy who used to work for Nature's Head.

If someone started manufacturing a durable but simple urine diverter solution in the US that would fit a 5gal bucket (that would contain solids only, with liquids being diverted to another container) it would sell.

I've contrived them on my own, and now have a Nature's Head. For the sheer construction, comfort, and convenience, with the built in 12v fan for aiding composting, the extra liquids container, and ease of installation/removal and being able to use both in my van or in an off-grid cabin, etc, they can't be beat.

The links you posted, both to your blog and other sites, are very interesting.

Thank you!

edit: Oops! I forgot about the Separette, which is a seat with a built-in urine diverter, which could easily be fashioned into a comfortable toilet box for van, or camp shower tent, etc.

Separette-Privy_501_with_folding_seat_grande_3355ce60-6c07-4ec3-89cd-c93d81b30b06_1200x.jpg

For those who have not read the whole thread, using a urine diverter to separate solids and liquids at the time one is using the toilet, helps tremendously in reducing/eliminating odors and greatly facilitating the removal of contents.

The solids, in my experience, having been mixed regularly with peat moss or coconut coir, will not have to be emptied for up to a month or more, depending on how many people are using it and how often. The liquids container, of course, will have to be emptied more often, usually daily if being used by two.

It really is the best solution I know of for long-term adventure travel and not installing a black-water system, and not having to buy gel bags or proprietary disposable bags over and over for portable seats, and, importantly, not having to mess with waste daily or every time the toilet is used.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I`m jaelous about your rig-size - these naturhead solution is pretty bulky for us mid-size 4x4`ers ! But the best setup I have seen so far.

This is just 130$ - but in europa and may end with shipping and tax - at 200$ - maybe too an option for people at the US or other non EU people.

trippin
I saw that one on your site, I think, and like the style and functionality of it.

A couple of the best things about the Nature's Head design are the spider handle to help mix the contents SO easily and efficiently after use, and the through-flow of air provided by the simple low-draw 12v fan. As much for aiding the compost process as it is to vent potential odor. I got mine mostly because it works and works well, has all the features built-in that would be troublesome to add to a bucket or folding seat arrangement, and that it is super-quick to move to an outside privy or off-grid shelter, or put back in the van when heading out on adventures.

natures-head_6523-900.jpeg

Reactions: 4x4tripping

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
We use the Cleanwaste GO Anywhere Complete Portable Camping Toilet and also their waste bags. The last time I bought bags was October 2020 and the cheapest place was a 50 pack on Amazon, we paid $101.10 back then, but Amazon shows that same pack for $161.82 now. Ouch, I guess there really is Inflation.

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
We have had good luck with this one. Only thing I would mention is we had to snap off two of the tabs on the legs because it clipped them so tight you could not get it out. Once I made this minor tweak with some needle nose pliers it has been good to go. Fits great in the Trasharoo and doesn't take up too much space. Fits most of the common bags with no problem.

Reliance Products Fold-to-Go Collapsible Portable Toilet, 9824-21W, Gray/Black, 14.5"x14.5"x14.5"
More information:

Reactions: Mr.Spain

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
It has become a massive problem here in Europe. The nice spots are covered in poop. Many people are not digging holes or using their solutions. Even a dog bag for a bin would be a good idea. There are many reasonable solutions on the market, making it possible to have a nice shit without leaving traces.

Kevin Baker

Rank 0

Contributor II

Florida, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Baker
I don't have a particular preference in terms of brands, but some of the most popular brands for portable toilet services are TOI TOI USA, Lowes, and United Rental. For a taller and sturdy option that folds up compactly, you might consider TOI TOI USA. As for toilet bags, Reliance Products Bio-Blue bags are widely used and can be found at various online retailers like Amazon or outdoor stores. I hope this helps you.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

We have had good luck with this one. Only thing I would mention is we had to snap off two of the tabs on the legs because it clipped them so tight you could not get it out. Once I made this minor tweak with some needle nose pliers it has been good to go. Fits great in the Trasharoo and doesn't take up too much space. Fits most of the common bags with no problem.

Reliance Products Fold-to-Go Collapsible Portable Toilet, 9824-21W, Gray/Black, 14.5"x14.5"x14.5"
More information:
I have a similar version made by Cleanwaste. Works fine and packs down into a rectangular box that’s easy to store.

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
Laveo dry toilet for the win for us. Charge the battery and take extra cartridges For packing. No water, no mess., no stink. Tall enough for me to use in an emergency. But it’s really for the wife. Been a game changer for her. The flush spins the cartridge and seals it for the next time. About 17 flushes per cartridge and it’s disposable like a dirty diaper.

Attachments