Camp stove advice for plans for future global overlanding (Coleman Dual Fuel 424?)

• HTML tutorial
Hi everyone, I have been doing Googling and reading other threads so I think I have come up with a plan of what stove would be best for me, but I was hoping to get opinions on my specific situation to either confirm this or point me in another direction. Though at this point I have only gone on trips from the Arctic Ocean to Mexico, within the next few years I hope to do South America or possible Europe and Asia. Up until my most recent trip up the Dempster I had just a single burner stove. I upgraded to the Eureka Spire LX and loved it, but unfortunately ended up with an unreliable one that I brought back. It worried me about what would have happened if I had been on an even bigger trip (and outside of North America in particular) and something like that happened, which also got me thinking about things like availability of propane.

Ultimately, given my global plans in the moderate term, I am thinking that I should actually be looking towards the Coleman Dual Fuel 424 as the dual fuel capability seems like it could come in very handy for me. As well, from what I have seen it looks like if I really got tired of pouring/pumping I could get a kit to run the 424 off 1 lb propane tanks. It looks like the 424 will be a bit smaller and have a few less BTU than I had with the Spire LX, but the 414 looks bigger than I would want so I think the size of the 424 should be fine.

Are there any other stoves I should be considering before placing an order for a Coleman Dual Fuel 424?

Thanks for the help!

Poniard

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Apple Valley, Utah, United States
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Abbott
Member #

I’ve owned a 424 since 1989 and it is my primary camp stove. It has been dependable. I have a back up replacement pump but have never had to use it. The second burner is hard to set for simmering but other than that, everything works great. I’ve never needed to run unleaded but good to know it’s an option. Make sure you order a Coleman funnel for it. It has a filter and breathing pipe to make during easier. It’s also easier to check fuel level. I think it’s a great choice. Happy travels.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I just bought a 424 Dual Fuel from a local hardware store that was on clearance for only $64. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I went in to find parts for my old 425 from 1950.
The one thing to keep in mind with the Coleman liquid fuel stoves, the second burner is an auxiliary burner, it will only come on with the main burner and will never put out more heat than the main burner. If you turn down the main burner, the aux burner goes down too.
With that said, they have been around for over 70 years and the parts are mostly unchanged. This kind of longevity out of a camp stove says a lot, it must be pretty decent and reliable to have stood the test of time like it has. Very few other stoves have been around with very little change for 70+ years.
If your rig is gas, you will always have fuel around to use in it.

Reactions: KonzaLander

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

While it’s convenient to have the dual fuel as an option. Your 1st choice of fuel should always be Coleman (white gas) fuel. It burns much cleaner than unleaded which could foul the burners orifices. This may cause smoke/soot. Some report “tasting” gasoline in the food while using unleaded (maybe psychological)

Reactions: KonzaLander

bobzdar

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Richmond
In reality, any of the white gas stoves are dual fuel. You can run them all on unleaded and there does not seem to be any added risk vs. one branded as 'dual fuel' to do so - it'll eventually gum up either one if not cleaned or run with white gas periodically, especially if allowed to sit. If it's going to sit for any length of time, empty out the unleaded and run white gas through it. With white gas, it can sit for years.

That said, run white gas unless you don't have a choice, unleaded only in a pinch. It's a nice option to have if you're going to be out in the wilderness. I also have a propane attachment for my triple burner, as that's better for it than unleaded in a pinch.

As to whether it's a good choice... have two Coleman stoves, a 425E and a 426D triple burner. Both are from the early 70's, the 425 has been in my family since before I was born. They're run exclusively on white gas and have required virtually zero maintenance. I also have a propane dual burner, a texsport. The 425 sat in my parent's garage for 15-20 years before I got ahold of it when my dad passed and we were cleaning out the garage, I didn't even realize we still had it. It still had pressure in the tank and fired right up - with the 20 year old gas.

In my experience the coleman/white gas are very frugal on fuel use compared to propane - a gallon of white gas lasts me a year worth of trips and we take 8-10 per year. We don't use it for every meal, but for most breakfasts if just for the coffee. You can get white gas at most sporting goods stores and Walmart, but you can get the little propane cannisters anywhere.
They aren't as easy to control the flame on as a propane so require some getting used to. Propane, at least the one I have, is just like using a gas or propane stove at home. Read reviews though as some don't have good flame control.
Propane can put out a little more BTU's so your coffee is ready a little faster.
The way the Coleman gas stoves work you can't control each burner fully independently, one burner is always higher than the other and the burner connected to the generator always has to be lit. Propane they can both be controlled or lit individually. Not a big deal, but you always have to cook the hottest stuff on the burner connected directly to the generator and the other burner will never go higher than the burner connected to the generator (this is even more fun on the triple burner). Propane you can adjust individually.
The Colemans are built like tanks. Both of mine are pushing 50 years old (older than me) and other than the feet rusting out of the 425, presumably from it either having some water in it or sitting in water in the garage, are still running great and fully intact. I'm under no illusion that the Texsport will last anywhere near that long and most of the propane stoves are a lot more flimsy, even from Coleman. However, you'll get years of use out of any of them if you take even a modicum of care, so imo not a big deal. My kids will probably end up getting mine unless I do something stupid like run one over not paying attention.
The Colemans are just more fun, so I don't use the propane stove very often. There's nothing quite like that hiss of a Coleman generator, it instantly take me back to my childhood listening to the 425 and the various lanterns over the years.

Reactions: Poniard

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I am currently running a dual fuel Coleman dual burner, with great results. In addition, I run a Jet Boil Flash, for hot water. The combination has worked out really nicely and I have yet to run across a better system for my needs. The flash system is lightweight, compact and ridiculously fast. I used to carry a small kettle for water, but the Jet Boil is smaller, faster and almost lighter. The only caveat, is that the Jet Boil is a different fuel source. With that said, given that I only use it to heat water, a compressed fuel canister will typically provide weeks of hot water for tea / coffee.

White gas lacks the convenience of propane, for a primary stove, however it eliminates the need for a hose, separate tank, mount and related additional expenses. Additionally, I have had much better results (BTU) with white gas at both high elevation and / or cold temperatures.

Other than a wrench, pliers and a screw driver, (which is likely already in your tool kit) about the only think you might need is a spare pump assembly, "just in case".

As for spare fuel (white gas), a large MSR style fuel bottle and small funnel have worked great. I purchased both at a local REI. The fuel bottles are more durable and substantially more compact than toting around a full size 1 gallon fuel can. Also, if you were in a pinch and needed to use auto fuel to supply your stove, the smaller fuel bottles make for a much more civilized stove fueling process..... :)

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I have a 424 and like it quite a bit but it is quite bulky and takes up a good bit of space when not in use, mainly in it's "thickness". I've been contemplating selling it or trading it for a thinner unit that runs on propane. I do have the propane adapter for my 424 and honestly use the propane far more often than I do the white gas.

I also typically pack my JetBoil since it takes up such little space and the small isobutane cans fit inside the can along with the burner and stand. As mentioned earlier if all you need to do is boil water I'm just breaking out the Jet Boil instead of the full stove.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

In most of Central and South America you'll be using gas not Coleman fuel. Coleman Fuel is VERY hard to find and when you do it's price will be dear. I would add a propane conversion to your kitchen kit, that way you can always get fuel. Propane is available most everywhere in the world. It does suffer at altitude. I ran white gas for years, converted to propane and have not regretted. I replaced my Coleman stoves and converters (3) with a Partner stove, it will be passed down when I am dead.

Trillium23

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stevens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WGU
The Primus OmniFuel Stove will use LP canisters, gas, gasoline/petrol, diesel, kerosene/paraffin, and even aviation fuel. Great little stove.

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Astor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4TRD
Service Branch
U.S. Army
As for spare fuel (white gas), a large MSR style fuel bottle and small funnel have worked great. I purchased both at a local REI. The fuel bottles are more durable and substantially more compact than toting around a full size 1 gallon fuel can. Also, if you were in a pinch and needed to use auto fuel to supply your stove, the smaller fuel bottles make for a much more civilized stove fueling process..... :)
Can you take a pic of the fuel bottle? Is the funnel plastic?

I am actually headed to buy a Coleman today that I found on FB Marketplace......... I will post pics later today.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You do know the flame should blue. Pump that bad boy up. That was a hell of a find!

Reactions: Downs

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would get a propane conversion before you leave the country, propane is what the rest of the world uses. Get a refillable canister and you are set, this way you can use whatever is available.

Reactions: Downs

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Do you all keep the tank pumped and leave fuel in it while traveling and when storing the stove?
Nice find and a good price. I leave mine pumped with fuel during each trip but drain the tank and clean the stoves thoroughly when we return home. Not sure if that's correct but its worked for me.

I'm no expert on these but your's looks to be a 413H (Model# is stamped on the front) and I'd guess it dates back to the 80's (The tank has a MM/YY date stamp on the bottom). Having been in storage for so many years. you may want to soak the pump gasket in machine oil overnight to improve the seal. This was the last iteration of the 413 series which is my favorite because they're large enough to handle a medium sized frying pan and a Coleman oven side by side. With reasonable care, these things last forever - the 413F shown below and the oven were purchased at a yard sale during my sixties college days.

It looks like you;re from NC as well - we're between Rocky Mount and Tarboro. Hope to see you out camping sometime when all this madness passes.

IMG_6479.JPG

Al

Reactions: NC Old Man Overland

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Astor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4TRD
Service Branch
U.S. Army
We are actually going camping this weekend to get away from the craziness, just disconnect from the phone and internet. Trying to get as far away as possible.

I bought the stove from an older couple that purchased a Coleman spa in the late 80's. That is what they said.... and this stove came with it, they just had it in the back of the closet and forgot about it.

I know my mom and dad had a similar stove in the 70's that we used on camping trips, I never paid any attention. Now that I bought one, I am amazed, like everything else the amount of history on Coleman and the collector web sites...... I have always said, if it is out there, someone collects it.....

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Do you all keep the tank pumped and leave fuel in it while traveling and when storing the stove?
I typically kept fuel in it all the time (never failed to light of or seemed like fuel was bad even after longer intervals of storage. But would bleed off any pressure I had pumped into it by pointing the filler cap up and loosening it just enough to bleed pressure. Don't just spin it off quickly or fuel could come blowing out.

Reactions: NC Old Man Overland