Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Let's see your camp lanterns!

In the past you only had a couple of choices for camp lanterns but now, with the new LED technology there are tons of options out there. What kind do you rock in your campsite?

We have been through several phases in our camp life. From the old mantle and propane colemans to the new LEDs. Right now our favorite is this awesome little guy from Wagantech:

20160930_205738.jpg 20161001_074830.jpg

Last edited:

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

We use old Coleman gas lanterns up at my cabin in the winter as they last longer than anything battery powered when the temps get down below 0..
But I love LED! LOVE IT!

I just wrote about these in another post, but check out these new lights from GearAid - I've got nothing but good things to say about them: http://www.gearaid.com/lights/

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Our lantern is a Coleman Propane, takes the same potties as the grill and lasts a long time. I have the 1000 lumen version and can't see needing anything brighter as of right now.

We also carry all sorts of flashlights, headlamps and spotlight.
Same. The Coleman is super bright and the canisters are versatile. I also have the old pump version, but I rarely bring that anymore... I use LED's in the tent.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I support Luci 100%. I have one and love how well it works. Packs down pretty flat and puts out a decent amount of light for a 4 person tent. Also every Luci light sold helps get light to people in need. Kind of like what GoalZero does with solar panels and Toms does with shoes.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I still use my coleman whitegas or propane lanterns

lately I've been switching (preferring) over to LED, since I cant tolerate smoke of any kind
This is exactly where I am right now except the smoke doesn't bother me. Nice shot of a Luna moth btw.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
LEDs rule the roost now a days for us. I like rechargeable or solar compatible and compact. Goal Zero Light-a-Life 350 lanterns have a great soft white wide angle beam for hanging or convertible to place on a table.
Luci solar lanterns are easy and quick too. Hang anywhere.
In the tent we love the Mini Hozuki lanterns. Again easy to hang, dimmable and have a magnet hook and loop. Candle mode.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

I've got the Coleman dual fuel lantern. Gasoline or white gas
Yep, but it seems all Coleman gas lanterns were dual fuel. Back in 1990, was on a trip, had a devil of a time finding white gas. When stopped for gas for car, asked attendant where I could find white gas for lanterns and stove. He said just use unleaded gas. Tried it and haven't used white gas since. For clarity, the stove is a Coleman 3 burner from the 1950s and one lantern also from the 1950s. They still work great! And at prices of white gas today - about $15/gallon - vs unleaded - about $2.40/gallon - do the math!

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I have several, my wife calls me a lantern hussy among other things....
First was a 2 mantle white gas Coleman lantern

Also have a Ultra Light oil lamp that collapses upon itself. Holds about a 1/2 cup of lamp oil with a screw cap so no spillage and lasts a good 30 hours

Then a Bushman single candle lantern from South Africa, uses standard 7/8" dia candles

Lastly is a the Snow Peak Mini Flame, a lovely bit of light with a lot of style runs a 110g Butane/ propane mix can for 15 hours supposedly .

Reactions: B Wild

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I picked up a cheap texport LED lantern on sale and it hasn't died yet and gets rough use so im pretty impressed. I also use chemlights sometimes. They are fun. I try to keep a dim camp. Enough light to do things safely but dark enough to keep some night vision.