Camp area recommendations Ashley national forest and Roosevelt national forest

• HTML tutorial

squatchgx

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
We are about to embark to go pickup a trailer we are having built and are going to stop for several day camping spots on the way back to the east coast. We rough planned our trip back and will likely stop in Ashley national forest outside of salt lake then Roosevelt in northern Colorado. We are wondering if anyone knows of scenic dispersed camping areas in these forests that don't draw huge numbers of people. We are in a gx470 with decent tires and skids but am with a young daughter so need to keep trails moderate nothing too extreme.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@squatchgx

Check out Laramie River road on the West side of Rosevelt. I think this is about where I camped last time 40.659325, -105.859789, about 5-6 spots on the east side of the road not far from the river. If you prefer to be near more water, try the Ne shore of Lost Lake 40.614814, -105.849334 Though this usually gets taken by early afternoon on Fridays. Long Draw Road has some pull offs that provide a nice spot to set up for the night. 40.557086, -105.821616 Keep an eye out for Moose if you're near water here and stay Bear safe.

It's been a few years since I've been up to this area. I used to recommend the Dowdy Lake / Red feathers area but it's basically a subdivision these days.

Boort

squatchgx

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
Thanks, starting to play around with the GAIA app and put some markers in for those areas. We minimize any food odor and store things away from the sleeping area in airtight containers ...thanks for the heads up though. Used to camp in grizzly areas of Montana and quite a few people would visit and not know bear safety. Will try to mark where we stay in the app for coordinates and append post if we find good places once we get back.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@squatchgx

Sweet. I've never had bear issues here but know of others who failed to take precautions and had a momma black bear and cub tear apart their coolers around 2 am. They scrambled to the truck and watched as the bears helped themselves before sauntering back into the forest around 5am.

Moose are a bigger problem because they go where they go and don't care for us one way or the other. Any Dogs will set them off though. Be extra attemtive in any areas with Willows or water.

Boort

squatchgx

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
First night near mirror lake in Utah just outside Ashley forest...up a forest service road overlooking several marked campsites. Great view nobody there as it was up some switch backs. If anyone stays just be bear smart...signs of previous bear in camp area. Gps: 40.62844, -111.14866 7743 ft upper setting Rd near summit. Also stayed near coords from boort (thank you) nice scenic spot, though flies where fairly active so bring extra spray.

Attachments

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@squatchgx
First night near mirror lake in Utah just outside Ashley forest...up a forest service road overlooking several marked campsites. Great view nobody there as it was up some switch backs. If anyone stays just be bear smart...signs of previous bear in camp area. Gps: 40.62844, -111.14866 7743 ft upper setting Rd near summit. Also stayed near coords from boort (thank you) nice scenic spot, though flies where fairly active so bring extra spray.
Your Welcome, Glad you got to enjoy the area!

Boort