[CA] Stanislaus National Forest (Highway 4 area) on 4/28/2018

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Two friends and I are doing a day trip to the Stanislaus National Forest off of highway 4 on Saturday 4/28. Our general plan is to run the Sourgrass Trail and then if time allows to explore Board's Crossing, Calaveras Big Trees, and other dirt roads in the area. Or, we could go farther up 4 and do some snow wheeling. We would be happy to have some other OB members join up if anybody is interested in a trip.

Where
The Sourgrass Trail (05N02R Pine Needle Flat Road) is located south of highway 4 near Dorrington CA. It starts at the Sourgrass Recreation Area and follows the North Fork of the Stanislaus River for about 2.5 miles to where the trail ends at a nice campsite.

Here's a map of the area

When
Final times are still to be determined. But in general the plan is to arrive at the Sourgrass Day Use area sometime between 11 and 11:30. I am leaving the Walnut Creek area about 8:15 and plan to meet one friend at Brentwood about 9am. We will be meeting the other friend somewhere in Stockton or Angels Camp on the way up the hill. The Sourgrass trail takes 2-3 hours to run, and afterwards there is more to explore in the area.

Difficulty

This is not a very difficult trail, but it is also not a flat dirt road and there is some risk of vehicle damage if drivers are reckless or don't pay attention to their spotter. For reference, one of my friends is new to offroading and is looking to work on his skills, the other is highly experienced and is going to test out some new modifications to his truck. This is a good trail for starting to learn some rockcrawling skills.

I would rate this trail a 4/10 in terms of difficulty. There are some reasonable sized rocks, a water crossing, and a steep climb. I have seen stock XTerras go through this trail before with no issues. That said, it is still very early in the season and sections of the trail could be eroded or muddy which would make it more difficult. There is one short climb that is often difficult for non-locked IFS trucks, so we will quite likely get to break out the recovery strap or winch.

More trail information and pictures. If you do a Google image search for "Sourgrass Trail" the first couple of pictures with very large rocks are NOT this trail, those are the Slickrock trail and somehow got mislabeled.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stanislaus/recarea/?recid=14875
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CA-4/index.shtml
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/sourgrass_20050612
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/sourgrass20040524

Recommendations
  • Rock sliders are not strictly necessary, but there are some rocks big enough to cause damage if you are not careful.
  • Functional spare tire, make sure it has air.
  • Clothes for weather ranging from 70+ and warm to cold and rainy.
  • Gloves and boots in case it is muddy.
  • FRS/GMRS radio for communication.
Rules
  • This is a family friendly trip.
  • Nobody gets left behind, we all share responsibility for making sure everybody gets back to the highway.
  • If the trail turns out to be very wet we will turn around if there is any risk of causing damage to the trail.
  • Everybody accepts sole responsible for the safety of their vehicle and its occupants.
  • All vehicles must have solid front and rear recovery points.
  • Have fun!
Who
To keep things moving and to prevent us from blocking the trail let's limit the group to 8 rigs or less. Sign up below if you are interested, and of course post if you have any questions.

1. Matt (4Runner)
2. James (Tacoma)
3. Dean (Pathfinder)

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Sounds fun. I like that trail. Can't make it this weekend but keep me posted if you go up Hwy 4 again.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
How did this trip go? I'd love to see some pictures!
We had a good time out on the trail. Sometime during the last two winters there was a major flood and the water crossing about 2 miles in has drastically changed and is much more difficult than it used to be. I'll post pictures once I get around to uploading them.

Reactions: MBroenkow

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Here are some pictures from the trip, there are more at the following link.
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_2018_sougrass

Start of the trail

First obstacle

Stock height Tacomas don't have great approach and departure angles.

The water crossing used to be possible in a stock rig, but sometime in the last 2 years there was significant flooding and the crossing is completely changed and much more difficult. We parked the Tacoma at this point and continued in the other two trucks.

Fast moving water and reasonably tall rocks.

After the river crossing there is a short rock garden.

The Pathy on 33's and crawler gears definitely had an easier time than my manual transmission 4Runner on 32's.

There is a nice campsite on the North Fork of the Stanislaus river at the end of the trail.

Some pictures from the way back out.

- Matt