El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I’m heading there this weekend, any snow on the trail or options in that area for a day run?

Chris

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Hi Chris,

I drove up highway 4 last weekend and there was basically no snow in Arnold at 4000ft and several feet at 7000ft. The south end of Mormon Immigrant trail is also at 7000ft so there is likely significant snow on the ground.

USDA shows about 4' of snow at the south end of the road.

What kind of trail are you looking for? I think most dirt roads in the area are closed to vehicle traffic until after the snow melts. If you do explore Mormon Immigrant trail I recommend checking out the old Iron Mountain Ski area which is nearby.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
That’s what I was expecting. Don’t really have a plan. Staying in Pollock Pines and want to just drive off road somewhere. Snow preferred for fun. Might make the trip to Uncle Tom’s Cabin as I’ve never been there.

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
That’s what I was expecting. Don’t really have a plan. Staying in Pollock Pines and want to just drive off road somewhere. Snow preferred for fun. Might make the trip to Uncle Tom’s Cabin as I’ve never been there.
There's no snow at UTC now either. If you're looking for some challenging fun off-roading with snow, I suggest eagle lakes trail at the entrance to Fordyce trail off I-80. It's probably 2hrs from Pollock Pines.

Reactions: slomatt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Did you end up finding some snow covered roads to explore? I was up at Kirkwood on Saturday and it looked like Bear River Road (heads down to Bear River Lake Resort) was open and not plowed.

There's no snow at UTC now either. If you're looking for some challenging fun off-roading with snow, I suggest eagle lakes trail at the entrance to Fordyce trail off I-80. It's probably 2hrs from Pollock Pines.
Great suggestion, and a fun trail in the snow. The front end of my ZJ started floating while crossing the river, then I got stuck in a snowdrift good times. :)

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Does that Eagle Lakes Rd calm down after awhile?i started up that last summer in my

lx450, started to get a little much for a “DD”