Building a home in a 80 series Landcruiser | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Building a home in a 80 series Landcruiser

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

thelal

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ireland
First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Lally
Fantastic work; well impressed
Feel for you on the cabin evap ; have had to take my front out as well (fixing coax for radio aerial)

Looking to do a custom chop+cabin build in the future ; as feel 2 in the interior would be cramped on a long term basis (from talks with Tim/Kelsey on their poptop from Dirt Sunrise trip and their move to Maltec camper now)
Ping me if need help with EU travels

Reactions: Ob1

Ob1

Rank V
Benefactor

Member II

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD6UKE
Fantastic work; well impressed
Feel for you on the cabin evap ; have had to take my front out as well (fixing coax for radio aerial)

Looking to do a custom chop+cabin build in the future ; as feel 2 in the interior would be cramped on a long term basis (from talks with Tim/Kelsey on their poptop from Dirt Sunrise trip and their move to Maltec camper now)
Ping me if need help with EU travels
Hey Brendan,

thanks for the comment. We don’t travel full time (yet), so the current setup fits us perfectly. Max 30-40 days. I also wanted to keep it stock to keep away attraction when we stop and leave the vehicle for a while.
The Maltec structure is carbon. I think a metal frame would work better. Check Micha’s @overlandunderbudget. 3/4” square tubing frame.

I don’t like the idea of sleeping on the roof because I’m always ready to leave camp in a few seconds in case of emergency. I know, I know… it’s from my military days. .

Sometimes my wife still stays in bed in the morning for a few hours while we take off until it warms up.

thanks again for the offer. May take you on it. COVID, COVID for now.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank V
Benefactor

Member II

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD6UKE
This weekend we volunteered with an Overlandbound group organized by our Executive Director Kent Reynolds OB1632 in coordination with NPS to clean up the Mojave Desert. 35 rigs showed up with 50 hard working volunteers. We were divided into 3 groups. The first photo is one of the sites that was purchased and will be donated to the park. Since it is not transferred yet, it is considered private property and drone flights are allowed.

The last photo is just a suggestion to people that overland for long periods. Our fridge started to smell, so we took a small candy can, removed the plastic window and put a mesh instead. The can is filled with Baking soda and seats inside the fridge. It makes a huge difference.

Photo_6553940_DJI_340_jpg_7553618_0_20211023123742_photo_original.JPG
IMG_6444.JPG
IMG_6460.JPGIMG_6480.JPGIMG_6489.JPG

Attachments

Ob1

Rank V
Benefactor

Member II

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD6UKE
There is one 'last' project in the works for this build. We are replacing the two round PVC water tanks of 8.6 gallons each (hot/cold) under the car with square 12.5 gallons each 304 stainless. Sheet metal is being bend right now, and then TIG welding. The frame supporting them would be similar except the saddle for the tanks would be square. The hot water tank will be insulated with 1/4" neoprene closed cell foam. I hope it will not collect too much dirt.

On a different note, we just started a new project. We are doing a frame off restoration and expedition build of a 1988 Land cruiser Troopy HJ75. Plan is to pull the body off and send it to a body shop. Front leaf suspension replaced with coil. 2H/H42 will be replaced with a 1HDT/H55 or 1HDFT/H55 if I can find one. Popup roof, and then camper build similar to the 80. I'll probably start a different blog for this project. (What did we get into...)

6293A68A-934F-451F-A398-BEDABEA0CF55.JPGIMG_6598.JPGIMG_6599.JPG