Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I have read that some LED lights do not attract bugs, they are not in the same part of the light spectrum as an incandescent bulbs.

Reactions: Jorrie

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

LED attract less bugs not sure why. Yellow light attracts less and apparently red can’t be seen by insects so works well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jorrie

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

worst option for outdoor lighting for trailers is soft or warm white or warm colors like yellow or orange. Cooler colors like green, blue are ideal against attracting bugs. Green lighting will both help to protect your night vision especially those late night bathroom runs & give you that low detection of your were abouts.
Military pilots cockpits are lite in green lighting
005.JPG

Last edited:

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
At the end of the evening the last thing I do is turn on a light right outside of my tent or trailer which ever I’m using to draw the bugs out of the inside. It helps.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

My plan is to get a strand of the RGB LEDs so I can pick whatever color is best. Not just for bugs, but night vision as well.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Red and green seem to be better for saving night vision in my experience. I have 2 lanterns on with clear glass and one with amber glass. I just got the amber one working. It was inherited from my grandparents. I haven't had a chance to use it out camping yet so now first hand experience. I'll have to try some red or green leds for camp lights and see how that works.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Red is great for low detection, and for night vision in small doses. Red light fatigues your eyes faster than anything else though. After reading some of this I'm trying to figure out how I can rig a removable LED RGB strip on the side of my car for camp light. This site is bad for my wallet, but good for creativity.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

If a lot of bugs are present I use red lights on both sides of my rig and it works great. If it is a no bug situation I use my Solar Camp Light from CVT. It can light up a big area.