DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Starting to gather information for a trip here. Got some maps being sent my way.

Got all my scouting done in Rothrock and Bald Eagle. Hoping to get here soon...

Anyone have any experience?

We are probably going to be adding ATV to our equipment list, and they have 2 ATV trails.

RBSFabXterra

Rank II

Traveler III

Hummelstown, Pa.
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Smith
Not much there for wheeling. Nice views from some of the mountain tops. Our family has been going to Cowans Gap SP for over 50 years the second weekend in October for a family get together. Great times, nice lake, OK fishing but not my favorite SP. You will do better in Tuscarora SF.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the reply. I do not look for wheeling...just off pavement travel and a natural setting.

I did not realize Cowans Gap was here.

We have been planning to get there...just have not. Now there is more reason to go.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Received my maps and information for here.

By far the best envelope of info I have got from any state forest.20210430_184018.jpg

They gave a print out with directions, a description, whether it is secluded and easy hard access. And how close they are to water.

That sent the usual day use map and then a detailed campsite map of each area. They are not Purple Lizard Maps but pretty detailed.

Looks like I will be exploring here sooner than I thought.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Finally made it to Buchanan!

On day 3 of a 7 day trip. Just a camping trip, off pavement! (This is actually day 10 of a 21 day trip)

Love the site! It is just off the road but pretty secluded overall. IMG_20230710_174435.jpgIMG_20230710_174444.jpgWhen we scouted it out we were a bit concerned about shade...but, I got the camper set in the sweet spot and still plenty of sun light for solar!

We took what was to be a mile hike to see a stream my son found on the map. Once we got to the stream, we quickly realized we were at the Abandoned Turnpike. Some how I totally missed it on the maps. We did a geocache and then climbed up to the turnpike. IMG_20230710_152332.jpgTook a look one way, then the other and took the direction back to camp, hoping the tunnel was on the way?!?!IMG_20230710_152735.jpgIMG_20230710_152741.jpg

Sure, enough, graffiti on the road told us we picked the right direction.IMG_20230710_155154.jpgIMG_20230710_161411.jpg

The site is situated Northwest, so we get to see the sun set and star gazing is phenomenal.IMG_20230710_115407.jpgIMG_20230710_201834.jpgIMG_20230710_205937.jpg

We also got another RAM HeftyDuty, and my wife towed the camper for the first time...she did awesome. This means, I may be building a dedicated Overlander Rig out of my truck!

Great weather also helps.

Reactions: MuckSavage

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

@DevilDodge , I was out "your way" last month. Last minute, my buddy asked if I'd tow his dirt bike to a Hare Scramble at Rocket Raceway. (Three Springs/McConnellsburg) Just an overnight trip. When I got home I realized I was so close to so much cool stuff. Michaux, Abandoned Turnpike, etc. If I go next year, I'll spend a few days exploring the area!

• Love
Reactions: DevilDodge

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

For sure, @MuckSavage

Three springs is just north of this site and McConnellsburg just south.

Three Springs is about the halfway point from Tuscarora to here. We spent the first 7 days there, we are heading to Forbes on Sunday.
Cool, like I said, If I head out there next year, I'm surely planning on spending a few days! But I did have fun in the day I was there, plus, as a Jersey Piney (flatlander) I surely wasn't prepared to camp on a hillside but I did the best I could (8" block under the left side camper tires)

Jump fixed.jpgCamp Rocket.JPG

• Love
Reactions: DevilDodge