MMett

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mettler
So I have a new Bronco on order. I’m getting a Badlands with Sasquatch package. With this, Ford will not add a roof rack from the factory but you can add as a dealer option. The dynamic load rating is only 100 lbs and I don’t see a lot of roof tent options in that area that will sleep 2 adults and have an annex for a child to sleep in. What’s everyone’s thought on this?

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I believe that the 100lbs is meant while being on trail, my yakima rack says 300lbs offroad but not moving it can hold more

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Find out the dynamic load for the actual roof of the Bronco you have and go from there. There are plenty of places that can make you a custom rack that can hold whatever you want.
Do not use a riveted in rack for anything but looks they rip out really easy, you want bolts and anchor plates on the inside.

Or get a ranger and a bed rack.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

You may have to wait for more aftermarket solutions to arrive to get the rack capacity you want. My Jeep has the same issues with rack load capacity directly on it's fiberglass roof and to get the higher load capacity rack solutions that drill through the roof to attach to the roll bar such as the Rhino Pioneer or exoskeleton type solutions such as the Gobi are needed.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Just add in that load rating includes the rack and everything hung off it. 100lbs is pretty light.

Reactions: WrightRunner

talbot

Rank I

Contributor III

AB, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hester
There's a bronco in my future as well, the weight limit is pretty low - from memory 100 dynamic, 300 static
there are a few such as the CFC superlight, but personally haven't seen any with an annex that are that light

there are some emerging aftermarket options though
4wp I think has demo'd a racking system that works both hard and soft top and i'm certain has better weight specs

MMett

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mettler
There's a bronco in my future as well, the weight limit is pretty low - from memory 100 dynamic, 300 static
there are a few such as the CFC superlight, but personally haven't seen any with an annex that are that light

there are some emerging aftermarket options though
4wp I think has demo'd a racking system that works both hard and soft top and i'm certain has better weight specs
What’s crazy is the demo bronco even on this website with a huge rooftop tent on it. Even though it won’t support it. Legally

talbot

Rank I

Contributor III

AB, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hester
What’s crazy is the demo bronco even on this website with a huge rooftop tent on it. Even though it won’t support it. Legally
yeah totally, that demo unit was a little misleading with the RTT and the tires/suspension as it didn't have the sasquatch option, just aftermarket 35's

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Find a fab guy and have a rack custom made and bolted through the lower areas of the body to something solid. Plenty of jeep guys have done this.

Removable roofs have consequences. Lol.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Somebody will produce a system that penetrates the roof and uses superstructure. That or some form of exoskeleton are the only ways you're ever going to get enough capacity up there to not turn into problems later on.

More bothersome to me is the winch mounting/intercooler obstruction thing.

I think when the new wears off those things there will be more complications to work out, there always is. The aftermarket will rise to the occasion I'm sure, but just like a vaccination that is rushed to market, I'm unlikely to be an early adopter/beta tester on my dime. I'm disinclined personally to the Bronco for the same reasons I'm disinclined to the Wrangler, which is lack of cargo area. I know people get along with them, but I want and need more room for cargo.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just like the old Broncos, k5s and jeeps a winch is gonna have to be on top of the bumper for both sport and big Bronco unless you or someone else makes a bigger bumper to hide it.
I highly doubt that anyone will make a front hitch for the sport, possibly for the full size but still doubtfull.
You'd more likely end up with a bumper that sticks out 12 or so inches more than now if you want a winch on it. unless there are heavy duty front suspension parts available for it you'll be looking at changing the shocks, tie rods, sway links etc more often.

talbot

Rank I

Contributor III

AB, CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hester
the 4wp system mounts on the front windshield and the where the hard top attaches to the body, rear cargo area - similar to the jeep setups as mentioned
works with both hard top and soft top

I suspect there will be a additional similar options as bronco's hit the streets

MMett

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mettler
the 4wp system mounts on the front windshield and the where the hard top attaches to the body, rear cargo area - similar to the jeep setups as mentioned
works with both hard top and soft top

I suspect there will be a additional similar options as bronco's hit the streets
Do you know how much weight that supports by any chance?

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Actually that Bronco in the Overland ready probably has about 120-125 lbs up there. That looks to be the same tent I have at about 95 Lbs, it is a 2 man. The bars are maybe another 25 - 30. So over yes but not a huge amount my Disco has about 140 out of 160 between tent and awning