Bronco reserved so working ideas to build overlanding trailer from Lowes utility trailer

• HTML tutorial

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
going to trade in Ranger for 2021 bronco 4dr badlands so want to build overlanding trailer low cost but effective. will try and post ideas i have( doesnt mean it will work)

I have 2 37 tires from 2018 Jeep rubicon ( bolt pattern trailer is same as Jeep TJ)
will have to do axle flip and cut fenders off
gives more room for bigger water storage for hot shower setup and drinking
can get tent and awnings higher so can walk under awning with out ducking( I am 6ft 2)
can possible build setup for generator and power cables
build on board drop down cook counter on side
built in drawers to outside using old cheap tool boxes(lockable)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
upgrade your axle to a 3500lb, and do whatever is takes to get matching rubber and wheels to the tow vehicle. Ask how I know and I'll entertain you with the shock and horror of watching wheel bearing fly off like shrapnel while flying down the interstate. Not once, but twice. I'm that guy you passed on interstate 70 in Kansas with the trailer laying on its belly while we were off looking for a new axle. Before that? Utah I-70, same thing. Good luck with your project.

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
upgrade your axle to a 3500lb, and do whatever is takes to get matching rubber and wheels to the tow vehicle. Ask how I know and I'll entertain you with the shock and horror of watching wheel bearing fly off like shrapnel while flying down the interstate. Not once, but twice. I'm that guy you passed on interstate 70 in Kansas with the trailer laying on its belly while we were off looking for a new axle. Before that? Utah I-70, same thing. Good luck with your project.
What axle did you get and from where

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Sounds similar to what I built a few years ago for surf fishing trips.

20161014_150846.jpg
20161014_195327.jpg

Edit, here's a good picture. By using a shade with 3 points, it is easier to catch the wind and have the wind hold it up like a kite
tapatalk_1579999410729.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Draykas

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Even though they are e-z lube axles I'd advise that you repack them by hand once a year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. I like the Dexter ez-lubes, as I can get fresh grease to them while out and about after a deep water crossing. Here is a link to a sales company. There are a lot of youtube videos showing how they work. My local trailer supply guy got mine for about $175, custom built. They are available with a brake drum kit.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Moak. I put bearing buddies on my Lowe's trailer, and usually give them a squirt of grease before we hit the highway. Am I deluding myself in thinking this will protect my bearings adequately. Also went from 12" to 14" wheels. Always heard larger wheels /fewer revolutions made bearings run cooler.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Depending on how often you grease them. The only real issue would be over greasing and have it push out the back making a mess. If you had brakes, this would be bad. I have them on my axles because they came with them. I still tear down and inspect them once a year. Make sure you always use the same grease. Some greases can have issues with others.

Reactions: Biker Eagle

ADValex

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Valley of the Sun
First Name
Alex
Last Name
N/A
I've got a trailer that started out as a lowes 3.5'x5' utility trailer. I had a local shop box in the frame, weld in a new extended tongue, and weld mounts on a 3500lb axle. It's now running on 33" AT tires and has an RTT mounted on top.

Not the fanciest trailer by any means and it still needs a lot of work but I'm very happy and its cost a lot less than a commercial trailer. Next on the list is to widen the fenders and get the electrical started.

I'll have to take some better pictures next time i take it out.

Attachments

Reactions: Biker Eagle

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Moak. I put bearing buddies on my Lowe's trailer, and usually give them a squirt of grease before we hit the highway. Am I deluding myself in thinking this will protect my bearings adequately. Also went from 12" to 14" wheels. Always heard larger wheels /fewer revolutions made bearings run cooler.
I used to think the same way, larger tires, less stress, on bearings designed to support 1,200 lbs, with bearing buddies. Those 1,200 lb axles/bearings, no matter what size tires, simply do not hold up to the constant hammering of off highway abuse even when the trailer is well under payload. I was a slow learner and allowed not just one, but two failures before I stepped up to the 3500 lb axles. 7 years and over 70,000 miles and no sign of premature wear. This winter, I’m finally addressing the weak frame and beefing it up. I’ve a build going on in the DIY trailer forum.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
I've got a trailer that started out as a lowes 3.5'x5' utility trailer. I had a local shop box in the frame, weld in a new extended tongue, and weld mounts on a 3500lb axle. It's now running on 33" AT tires and has an RTT mounted on top.

Not the fanciest trailer by any means and it still needs a lot of work but I'm very happy and its cost a lot less than a commercial trailer. Next on the list is to widen the fenders and get the electrical started.

I’m looking at this trailer for a DIY rig. Definitely update us on your upgrades as you go!

ADValex

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Valley of the Sun
First Name
Alex
Last Name
N/A

I’m looking at this trailer for a DIY rig. Definitely update us on your upgrades as you go!
Will do! Its going to be slow for a little while. Next up is widening the trailer and in doing that creating fenders that will actually cover the tires.

Following that will be power. Probably a large battery pack on the trailer and a solar charger. The current plan is to charge it off 120v at the house and top it off with solar. Eventually I may link it so the xterra can charge it when driving, maybe not.

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
so update trailer build has been delayed due to busy at work( COVID) I did run across a light weight trailer with lift and off-road tires. I am debating on going that option as trying to find time to build seems almost impossible( looking at Sunray 109 sport)

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
so update trailer build has been delayed due to busy at work( COVID) I did run across a light weight trailer with lift and off-road tires. I am debating on going that option as trying to find time to build seems almost impossible( looking at Sunray 109 sport)
did you order your bronco yet? Just put my order in Thursday afternoon.

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
did you order your bronco yet? Just put my order in Thursday afternoon.
Not yet waiting for dealer to call

Reactions: Gr8 Hortoni

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
We did the formal order last night. Were told the 2.7 engine and Sasquatch will push it out some, so late this year.

Reactions: Gr8 Hortoni