Brian Campbell Bicycle overland trailer

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

I thought this may be useful to those looking to build a cheap light weight trailer. This design was built and invented by Brain Campbell of full time bicycle touring fame. It is a 4'x8' and 4' tall trailer constructed from poly foam insulation board, foil duct tape, and aluminum angle extrusion. This one was sheathed with aluminum flashing from Homedepot (not all were) that was taped with foil tape to the outside of the foam board. Brian has been living in in his bike RV of this same construction for over 30 years and so I would say it is very durable and light. Human Powered Housing Project - Davis - LocalWiki

I have one of Brian's trailers built during a Portland Bike community fund raising effort to get him funds to rebuild his old bike RV and travel funds. This was lived in by a local clown for a couple years full time (I believe) and I rescued it after it was sold than and abandoned. Towing it 4 miles behind my recumbent trike to my shop. The weight is 80lbs and the aluminum frame will hold over 1000lbs is built with truss style construction. This same construction techniques of house body could be built on a cheap 4x8 utility trailer from harborfreight. The house body was so warm that all that is need to heat it is a small candle. The rear windows were actually replaced with screen mesh to allow for some cooling. Any creative DIYer could build a nice little camper using this method for under $300.00.

Dont ask to buy mine has a twisted frame from hauling 1500lbs of concrete chunks and bricks to the recycling center. I did build an exact replica for a homeless friend with the original windows and fittings that came off mine. It was pedaled all the way to South Florida than back to Portland where it was stolen.

Attached are detailed pictures of the chassis which could be beefed up with thicker, larger aluminum angle material to accept a utility trailer axle and hitch. I have more pics of the foam board house body or you can Goggle Brian Campbell bike RV and see more info about how it is made.
The trailer s built new
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1026.jpg
4908f814d33d36dc0ea581e84e60b63d.jpg
Portland clown living in trailer
10622725_10152717404044644_7188175979949892392_n.jpg
As it was when I found and rescued it
BicycleRV.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: