Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK, here is the scoop. My daughter, son in law, and two grandsons are doing the WRT with us next spring. After several vehicles, he finally "got" the jeep thing and bought a new '16 4Runner Trail edition. It is bone stock except for sliders that I highly recommended to him. We had planned upon camping at Arches NP after the WRT to do some day hikes, and to drive out to Klondike Bluffs. Unfortunately, no reservations will be taken for Devils Garden for the entire year, due to construction. I'm thinking then we do, for our 4th time, Devils Kitchen down in the Needles. Here is the wrench in that plan.. Will a stock 2016 4runner be able to negotiate the Elephant Hill Trail, out and back? I'm thinking yes, maybe, or no maybe not.. Does anyone know for sure? thanks all, looking forward to your replies..

Reactions: 101Tundra

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
That's funny, I think you mean he got the jeep thing, so he bought a 4runner... It's a nuance thing.
Elephant hill... How attached will he be to keeping the new 'runner damage free? It can definitely navigate it, there is always a possibility of damage but if he's careful, likely not. It has been watered down some by strategic filling in of some holes with cement but still an awesome challenge and a great reward if you go all the way to the confluence. Take a shot, oh and take some pictures, especially of the squeeze.
If you do a search on YouTube, you'll find one of a guy that took a brand new 200 series landcruiser over and back. Damage or not I'm not sure but it looks like he was careful.

G'luck, Dan

Reactions: 101Tundra

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We had a stock 100 with sliders with our group last year on E Hill that did great. Driver skill could be the deciding factor though. The driver of the 100 was very experienced and touched his slider at the descent down to Devils Lane, that was it. Maybe get the son in law on a few shake down days and I'd think he'd be good. And good call on the sliders first and foremost! That trail is amazing and Devils Kitchen was unreal.image.jpeg

Reactions: RiverCityDave

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That's funny, I think you mean he got the jeep thing, so he bought a 4runner... It's a nuance thing.
Elephant hill... How attached will he be to keeping the new 'runner damage free? It can definitely navigate it, there is always a possibility of damage but if he's careful, likely not. It has been watered down some by strategic filling in of some holes with cement but still an awesome challenge and a great reward if you go all the way to the confluence. Take a shot, oh and take some pictures, especially of the squeeze.
If you do a search on YouTube, you'll find one of a guy that took a brand new 200 series landcruiser over and back. Damage or not I'm not sure but it looks like he was careful.

G'luck, Dan
Yup, he had two jeeps a JKU, then the new Cherokee. We've been over Elephant Hill 8 or 9 times and out through Bobbies hole and up into the Abajos just once.
Here I am on our last trip getting 24.5 feet of rig thru the switchbacks..

Last edited:

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Very cool. I'll have to check out your YT page later. I was thinking of exiting the park thru Bobbys Hole when we went and had done plenty of research on the area, but backed out due to uncertain trail and weather conditions but I wish we had went for it. I totally have to come back and due the full Mexican Hat to Moab route.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
There are way too many really cool runs out there, the entire west that is, let alone the 4 corners region, that I fear life just isn't long enough.. My darling wife and I are addicted to the area and cannot get enough of it. All told, we've been to the Moab/4corners region 4 times in the last 6 years. 11 weeks total and we haven't even scratched the surface. I'd love to do the Mexican Hat run from the Needles, we got down the Abajos about halfway and made a left turn and ended up in Blanding..