Brake upgrade on a Toyota Land Cruiser HJ61

• HTML tutorial

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Question: should I try upgrading the front brakes or just replace needed parts like pads etc? From the little research I have done most parts are interchangeable with and FJ version. So the parts are available.

Side note, I will be increasing the weight in the coming months and years with other overlanding related upgrades.

Thanks

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I have an 80 series Landcruiser. Different vehicle, but I upgraded from the factory brakes to a good aftermarket rotor and pad set, along with braided brake line extension replacements, and it made a noticeable difference in stopping performance.

And I'm very much heavier than a stock 80 series.

Upgrade when possible!

Dan.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I have an 80 series Landcruiser. Different vehicle, but I upgraded from the factory brakes to a good aftermarket rotor and pad set, along with braided brake line extension replacements, and it made a noticeable difference in stopping performance.

And I'm very much heavier than a stock 80 series.

Upgrade when possible!

Dan.
Thanks. What did you go for (if you can remember) Were the rotors made for an 80 series?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Thanks. What did you go for (if you can remember) Were the rotors made for an 80 series?
Specifically for the 80 Series for sure.

The brand I used was PowerStop. Drilled and slotted rotors. They seem to have a decent reputation and so far I'm pretty happy.

The '80 goes through brake pads like a teenager through cell phones, so I'm used to doing the "Pad Slap" (pads only), but the key to getting good performance out of these (and really any new pads) is to do the proper bedding-in procedure proscribed by the manufacturer.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Specifically for the 80 Series for sure.

The brand I used was PowerStop. Drilled and slotted rotors. They seem to have a decent reputation and so far I'm pretty happy.

The '80 goes through brake pads like a teenager through cell phones, so I'm used to doing the "Pad Slap" (pads only), but the key to getting good performance out of these (and really any new pads) is to do the proper bedding-in procedure proscribed by the manufacturer.
Thanks again for the info. I will probably do something similar although I will have find something for an FJ, which should work.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Look into running 1st gen tundra callipers and rotors on your truck I know its possible with the mini trucks with the sfa with a bracket from Front Range Offroad Fabrication if not maybe they can make something that works for the 60 series.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Look into running 1st gen tundra callipers and rotors on your truck I know its possible with the mini trucks with the sfa with a bracket from Front Range Offroad Fabrication if not maybe they can make something that works for the 60 series.
Thanks, I have been just recently looking into a company called Red Line Land Cruisers. They have kits for the 60 series. Just depends on what I want to spend.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

89-95 4Runner Calipers and quality AISIN pads. Minimal mods and great stopping power.
I ended up calling Valley Hybrids in Stockton CA. They are sending me new rotors from Terrain Tamer and pads from them. They also gave me part numbers for the calipers they use. So I think I found my upgraded brakes. Thanks to all for helping.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

How are they different than what you started with?

Fwiw 89+ 4Runner V6 are better as they feature 4 large pistons vs. 2 big/2 small such as your old (and new?) ones.
Really the only upgrade to my old brakes are my rotors. They are drilled and slotted. The calipers are the same and the pads are the same size. Better pads but same size.

Pepperana

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Dutch
First Name
Will
Last Name
Schoot
Member #

Sorry to dig up this old thread! Upgrading the 60 landcruisers with 4runner calipers, 80 serie master/booster will really transform the breaks and make it brake like a good modern car (without abs). So well worth it.
Did it on my hj60. Let me know if anyone needs tips!

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

Scope7s

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ecuador
First Name
Mario
Last Name
Nieto
Sorry to dig up this old thread! Upgrading the 60 landcruisers with 4runner calipers, 80 serie master/booster will really transform the breaks and make it brake like a good modern car (without abs). So well worth it.
Did it on my hj60. Let me know if anyone needs tips!
HI, i want to upgrade my brake os my hj61 12th 1989, can yoy help me with more information how you do it?? Thank you

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

So I had an issue, two years later I was down to metal. I don’t think it was products!! I think I have a master cylinder issue.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
HI, i want to upgrade my brake os my hj61 12th 1989, can yoy help me with more information how you do it?? Thank you
Talk to the guys at cruiser outfitters. I've bought a number of things from them over the years and they really know what their talking about.
If you dont go the conversion route buy good rotors and pads. A previous post said the shop they contacted gave them autozone numbers. You dont want any of the cheap brakes. I only run high nickle rotors and good pads. My brand of choice is Stoptech. For my Cruiser I run their non drilled rotors and their commercial semi metallic pads. With soft 35" tires and a ton of extra weight, I can just get them to start to lock up on panic stop. If you could have seen the crap rotors the previous owner had and compared them to the ones I run now, you would see how much better the stop techs handle the heat. The others were O'Rielly's premium (crap) brakes. I also dont drive or stop easy. I abuse my vehicles and build them to handle it.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m just not sold on the necessity of a brake upgrade for my 80 series. I’m running stock rotors, stock calipers and high end ceramic pads from , of all places, Advance Auto. Our vehicle scales out at 7,000 lbs +/- and the trailer weighs 1,000 lbs+/- when fully loaded. The trailer has no brakes and we pull it an average of 10,000 miles a year. The front axle was rebuilt, along with new rotors at 205,000 miles. We now have 317,000 miles, same rotors, new front pads @ 248 & 287 thousand miles. New rear rotor and pads at 235, and just pads @ 287 thousand miles. I get such good braking performance and longevity because I use ceramic pads and I drive our cruzer as if it is a truck. The bonus? I have free brake pads as long as I own the truck. The second set was free as well as any future needs..