Bottle Jacks

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

TreXTerra

Rank VI

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've tried a couple different hydraulic bottle jacks and I'm disappointed in their performance. They have to be stored upright, the seals tend to go bad over time, and all the one's I've bought have very limited lifting heights. Any that have enough lift are often too tall to fit under the chassis on rough terrain, the ones that are compact enough to fit, don't lift high enough. Also, the pump style handles don't have enough movement in a tight space to jack quickly.

I know that the OEM Toyota jacks are mechanical and can lift much higher than an average hydraulic bottle jack. Are there any other aftermarket jacks with this same style mechanism?

Or, does anyone want to sell me their Toyota jack? :sunglasses:

Motoboss

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

TreXTerra

Rank VI

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I saw that, but all of those jacks are simple hydraulic systems that have to be quite bulky to get the height I need - and that doesn't address the challenge of getting a large jack under a vehicle with a flat on uneven ground. I have a HF jack that I thought would be sufficient and ended up using it a few weeks ago. The jack topped out before the tire was sufficiently raised to get the spare on and we ended up resorting to the scissor OEM jack.

That's why I'm interested in a jack more like the Toyota OEM, it has two lifting pistons compared to one, it doesn't leak, and it doesn't rely on o-ring seals.

Sorry for the poor quality, this is the best I could find to show how much extension a mechanical bottle jack has. I can't find a hydraulic one with this much lift in this small a package.

RoarinRow

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

I picked this one up from Amazon and help lift my truck with a 6" lift. Hope it works. Haven't taken it out of the box yet lol.

12express

Rank 0

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
W
Ham Callsign
N7IFO
I carry 2 bottle jacks.. a 2 ton and a 6 ton. I also carry some wood blocks for cribbing. I put together a couple top adapters to cradle the rear axle tube also.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Lindenwood

Rank VI

Advocate II

Ft Walton Beach, Fl
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
McDonald
Member #

If you have and carry a hi-lift, I am a big fan of the lift-mate wheel adapter. I have used it to lift 4Runners, an F250, an Xterra, and my Rav4.

For changing the spare, simply place a jack stand under the axle tube / control arm and set the jack aside.

Of note, I have never seen a mechanical bottle jack with the height, light weight, and compactness of the Toyota ones.

HiLiftLiftMateWheel.jpg

Reactions: Desert Runner