Bottle Jack

• HTML tutorial

Top Hat

Rank I

Enthusiast I

FL
I'm set on getting a bottle jack for tire changing now that my Jeep is lifted. Does anyone have experience with the Torin Big Red 12 ton bottle jack? I'm sure 6 ton would be sufficient but I've read some Amazon reviews in which the jacks leaked fluid. I was thinking the 12 ton would be beefier and less likely to bust a seal since it would be relative overkill (but still fairly light and rather inexpensive). Safejack looks good but is much pricier than I want to go for a jack system. I probably would end up getting their cradle attachment and collar to add to the Torin, though.
Any thoughts or personal experiences would be welcome as long as they are relevant to bottle jacks. No hi-lift hijacks, plz. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Sheedy614

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I got this, works great.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Bottle jack is my standard go-to for changing tires off road. That is what I carry in my Jeep, and I have used it for changing tires on other folks' rigs. They are simple, reliable and versatile.

I have no feedback on Torin though. Mine are old jacks that I picked up at garage sales/swap meets.

I will say that I would not go for a 12 ton unless your rig is a crew cab diesel dually or a Unimog. 6 ton is probably more than adequate. You don't want something heavy and hard to manipulate when you need to get it positioned just right under the chassis of a vehicle that is already in a less than ideal position.

Top Hat

Rank I

Enthusiast I

FL
Did some more research and ended up going with an Omega 6 Ton and a cradle with extension screw collar from Safejack. It came in a pretty beefy box so I'll just store it in that, upright. If it's upright (or stored on it's side with oil fill cap facing up) it is less likely to leak over time.
Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Desert Runner

JustDriveBro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chico, CA, USA
Member #

I'm set on getting a bottle jack for tire changing now that my Jeep is lifted. Does anyone have experience with the Torin Big Red 12 ton bottle jack? I'm sure 6 ton would be sufficient but I've read some Amazon reviews in which the jacks leaked fluid. I was thinking the 12 ton would be beefier and less likely to bust a seal since it would be relative overkill (but still fairly light and rather inexpensive). Safejack looks good but is much pricier than I want to go for a jack system. I probably would end up getting their cradle attachment and collar to add to the Torin, though.
Any thoughts or personal experiences would be welcome as long as they are relevant to bottle jacks. No hi-lift hijacks, plz. :sunglasses:
I've always used 10 ton+ bottle Jack's, even with my Silverado 2500 and have never had an issue. Even as far as size and weight goes it's not substantial to get the heavier duty jack

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
These are some great things to consider since my hilift doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

JustDriveBro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chico, CA, USA
Member #

"You don't want something heavy and hard to manipulate when you need to get it positioned just right under the chassis of a vehicle that is already in a less than ideal position."
Very good point, especially with off road use like you said. I only have driveway experience with bottle jacks

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

12 ton harbor freight. Doesn’t leak. With coupon $20. Also bring the high-lift and factory. That and a couple of 2x8 cutoff scraps.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
A JEEP, I would think a 6 ton would be overkill, and easier to lug around, than a 12 ton. You probably would be okay with a 4, but that would be the minimum with the up- fitting you have done.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I use a pair of MotoMaster 6 ton bottle jacks for my Jeeps. That's Canadian Tire's house brand so I'm not sure want brand they "really" are. I made a couple of caps that make lifting the front end for lubing and removing the wheels much easier. I don't like lifting the front end with a floor jack under the off centre differential.

As for Torin brand jacks, I have 3 ton and 4 ton Big Red floor jacks and they work great … no leaks. The tire shop I go to uses Torin exclusively and I figured that was good enough for me.

Jack - Bottle Tops 1.JPGJack - Bottle Tops 2.JPG

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

I’ve had a Torin Big Red 12 ton for about 4 yrs now. No problems, no leaks. I used it for my old Cherokee, now use it for my Grand Cherokee. Never had any issues