Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I wish that I would have known about these trails when I lived in Minnesota. Maybe have to take a trip back home some summer.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. I know there was a fight in one county (forgot which one) from the landowners so they're working on rerouting everything to go completely around that county.

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Yeah that’s what I had heard as well, they were saying that it wasn’t going to bring in enough profit for the damage that would be done on the trails and the up keep or something along those lines as well as the private property owners. I have emailed and asked them if there has been any update on the process , so I’m looking forward to what they have to say.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I really hope this takes off! It would be a great to get to do that and then go do the T.W.A.T. along with it. Just would add to the fun.

Reactions: Tim nash

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Yes it would, could probably connect them once you hit superior instead of going towards the apostle island. Well you could still do that then follow superior to Duluth and up towards grand marais. That would be a nice little trek.

Reactions: Jrahn0822

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Yeah that’s what I had heard as well, they were saying that it wasn’t going to bring in enough profit for the damage that would be done on the trails and the up keep or something along those lines as well as the private property owners. I have emailed and asked them if there has been any update on the process , so I’m looking forward to what they have to say.

Supposedly there will be an update at the MN4WD meeting next month.

Just an update that this is progressing, although at the speed of gov't.
Border to Border Touring Route - Minnesota DNR

Most of it could be done now on County and Forest Roads but there are some sections of the proposed route that are currently hiking and snowmobile/ATV trails only.
Lake of the Woods County was one of the primary issues from what I have heard and it mentions they are reviewing the latest proposed route. Otherwise, it will just bypass that county from what I understand.

I'm certainly looking forward to running it upon completion of the route and as you guys mentioned, connecting it with the TWAT as well.

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Just an update that this is progressing, although at the speed of gov't.
Border to Border Touring Route - Minnesota DNR

Most of it could be done now on County and Forest Roads but there are some sections of the proposed route that are currently hiking and snowmobile/ATV trails only.
Lake of the Woods County was one of the primary issues from what I have heard and it mentions they are reviewing the latest proposed route. Otherwise, it will just bypass that county from what I understand.

I'm certainly looking forward to running it upon completion of the route and as you guys mentioned, connecting it with the TWAT as well.
Yeah it’s a bummer and same here I just got back from a 2 week adventure and can’t wait for that to open

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
I came across this earlier in the morning and found the pdf files on the DNR website showing a proposed route. Having not much to do today I decided to plot the route in Gaia GPS. I understand the roads will not be very difficult terrain wise, but, it is over 1200 miles long! I'll post the two gpx files (at one point you can either go a Northern route through Ely or a Southern route to Gilbert/Virginia area).

This fair well may have been a colossal waste of time as I am sure they will produce a more update route as it is still in the works. Also, if I were to do this again, I would create 8 routes to match their pdf files and not just one. That way someone does not have to download the whole thing if they are only doing smaller pats.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
Anyone here aware of any updates? I assume it will still be in the process for a few years more before its an official trail.