TrailGypc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sierra Nevada, California, USA
First Name
kim
Last Name
fish
Hey all, just might want to give you a heads up as I live up here in the sierra, Leavitt Lake road is more than likely still closed. Most roads up that high are. Might want to check on the Toiyabe NF webpage to make sure. I can keep an eye out for you guys if you wish. :)

Sure would love to meet ya all at Bridgeport and do the Bodie/Aurora part with y'all!

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I was looking on the TNF site for closures but didn’t see Leavitt lake rd called out as closed. I think a phone call would be the best choice though.
While I was there I took five minutes to renew my fire permit. It’s easy and free so why not?

TrailGypc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sierra Nevada, California, USA
First Name
kim
Last Name
fish
I was looking on the TNF site for closures but didn’t see Leavitt lake rd called out as closed. I think a phone call would be the best choice though.
While I was there I took five minutes to renew my fire permit. It’s easy and free so why not?
I didn't even see Leavitt Lake on the Bridgeport RD page. Doesn't look like anything has been switched over since they upgraded to their new webpages. Usually after Memorial Day weekend, or a bit later due to that bowl keeping cool. Will keep an eye out for you all though.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey all, just might want to give you a heads up as I live up here in the sierra, Leavitt Lake road is more than likely still closed. Most roads up that high are. Might want to check on the Toiyabe NF webpage to make sure. I can keep an eye out for you guys if you wish. :)

Sure would love to meet ya all at Bridgeport and do the Bodie/Aurora part with y'all!
Yeah I’ve been waiting the snow level reports and almost this weekend to check. I was thinking about a day trip to check next weekend but if you are around let us know. Plan B is to camp off of the Bodie/ Masonic Road.
Thanks!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We need to change up the trip a little bit due to snow at Leavitt Lake. According to a ranger at the Bridgeport Station Leavitt is still under 80” of snow. NOAA shows snow that’s hanging on pretty good in the carved out bowl that is Leavitt Lake. My plan is to do a quick prerun trip this Friday (possibly) to take a look as well as research heading up and over Mt Patterson. What would shift is our campsite locations, Friday night would be along the Bodie-Masonic road, Saturday we would hit Bodie then Aurora cemetery for lunch, and then camp at Belfort ghost town halfway up to Mt Patterson. Mt Patterson summits at 11,654’ and supposedly pretty awesome. The snow packs on Patterson are more exposed and look about 12” or less. In 1.5 weeks that will change as well.

I’ve updated the GPX file on the Rally Point which I will place here as well. I left Leavitt Lake on there so you have the tracks for another trip as well as the back way out of Aurora. The trip should be about a Moderate 1 but I haven’t done the new track yet, I should know more by this weekend. If you need to change your RSVP I understand, but pack for warm and cold weather. The second night we will be camping at 10k feet.

Attachments

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I went to Mt Patterson by myself last year in mid July - an excellent trip.

Sadly I won't be able to make this trip, but I recommend it.

A cabin on the north side
20210718_114646.jpg

You can drive to the very top!
20210718_130817.jpg

Approaching the top from the south
20210718_125809.jpg

An old mine on the south side
20210718_131901.jpg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Sadly and regrettably, due to staffing issues at work beyond my control (despite being my regular day off), Karen and I will not be able to attend this weekend as planned. We look forward to the next one with everyone. All, please travel safe and have a great time…send pics! Roger and Karen

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Wow this looks like a lot of fun. I wish we could join you all.
Moments ago I had to cancel due to unforeseen work staffing issues, my spot is open if you’re interested. Hope it can work out despite the 11th hour. All the best!

Reactions: Birdman