Blue Lakes and Indian Valley, CA

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Last August some friends and I explored the Blue Lakes and Indian Valley area and I finally got around to uploading the photos. This was a quick weekend trip, we left the Bay Area Saturday morning and got home Sunday night.

We drove east up highway 88 and then turned south onto Forestdale Road which is just after Red Lake. This road drives up and over the Forestdale Divide and offers some beautiful scenery. It is a fairly easy road, but there is one off camber area on a ledge and there can be snow late into the summer.

We parked at the Lost Lakes and hiked cross country with the goal of summiting the Nipple. Please note, the PCT actually goes right past the west side of the lakes and is a much easier route than we took.

There were some large snowfields even in August during a dry year.

The ridge drops off steeply to the north...

And slopes down to the south towards the Blue Lakes area. The Deer Valley trail (re-opening this summer after many years of being closed!) starts at the end of the Blue Lakes and heads south to Highway 4.

Here is the Nipple up close. There are several similar outcroppings, and we had to use the GPS and a map to determine which is the actual peak. There is a geocache on the top.

The view back towards the Lost Lakes where our trucks are parked.

After descending we headed down into the Blue Lakes area and then headed west on Blue Lakes Road which is paved and heads back north to highway 88. We had been over Forestdale Road many times before, the real goal of this trip was to explore the Indian Valley Area. Off of Blue Lakes Road we turned east onto Sunset Lakes Road. This easy dirt road passes multiple small lakes all with camping opportunities. We checked out Tamarack Lake, Upper and Lower Sunset Lakes, Summit Lake, and Wet Meadows Reservoir and ended up camping at Lower Sunset Lake about 100' from the PCT.

West side of Upper Sunset Lake

Dinner

Our campsite

Sunset Lakes Road continues north past the east side of Wet Meadows Reservoir for a mile or two and dead ends where it meets the PCT.

We backtracked to the junction and headed south on the dirt road into Indian Valley. I had been scoping out this area in Google maps and wanted to see what it is like in person. It is fairly dry, and offers nice views and a few good remote camping opportunities.

The road forks at the end of the valley and unfortunately both ways are dead ends. There is a nice camping spot in a meadow at the end of the western fork. I had hope to find a way to route out to highway 4 which is about 2.5mi south, but there is no way to get there.

We backtracked and headed out Blue Lakes Road through Hope Valley to highway 88. There are a ton of other roads to explore in this area. In the future I want to explore Burnside Lake and I'll be running Deer Valley in September.

Here's a map.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aljUac7eGyXS7Iz-F5e50Vw5QPI&usp=sharing

- Matt

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
quick question: where did you hear that Deer valley trail was re-opening? This is great news, you can take that trail from hwy. 4 to 88. Nice report...

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
quick question: where did you hear that Deer valley trail was re-opening? This is great news, you can take that trail from hwy. 4 to 88. Nice report...
The opening date is based on a conditional seasonal closure determined by snow levels. See the following for details, in particular the signed decision from the Forest Service. This decision is an outcome of the "42 trails" lawsuit which closed Deer Valley and many other trails.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=45439&exp=overview

Deer Valley will officially open on August 3rd this year.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-use-issues/2540801-slickrock-deer-valley-ca.html

- Matt

Reactions: afootorafloatLJ

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I'm really excited about Deer re-opening. There's not that many difficult trails along hwy. 4 and both Slick and Deer are both difficult and scenic...looking forward to Aug. 3...

Reactions: afootorafloatLJ

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
I was camped at Lower Blue Lakes Campground last week. Deer Valley was closed and the trail above Upper Blue Lakes was blocked by a large tree. Great scenery and jeeping. I'll be back up there in the fall to check out the Aspens...

siznarf

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
B
Member #

Very interested! Might check this out this week!

Do you have nav files?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Thanks for the excellent write up! I have been exploring this area for many years and was first taken to Upper Blue Lake when I was a child. Last year I went up there in the X and ran a few trails in the area.

The trail to the top of Hawkins Peak was a lot of fun, although not very hard and rewarded me with excellent views into NV. Another great trail is off of 88 W of Blue Lakes Rd about 2 miles on the N side. It heads up to a small lake called Crater Lake and is a little more challenging. Forestdale Divide Rd can be challenging, depending on erosion from the previous winter. I have straddled a large rut for several miles on it in the past and after the severe winter we had last year I bet it is pretty torn up.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Very interested! Might check this out this week!

Do you have nav files?
I don't have any nav files, but there is a link to a map in my original post. Have fun!

The trail to the top of Hawkins Peak was a lot of fun, although not very hard and rewarded me with excellent views into NV.
Thank you for the recommendation, I added Hawkins Peak to my list of places to check out. A friend recently went to Crater Lake and it is also on my list.

- Matt

Reactions: BCBrian

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP
Thanks for the detailed write up. I grew up in Amador county and had no idea this was so close. These are some trails I will be adding to my families list of runs.

Reactions: slomatt and v_man