Blowing Rock, NC to Betsey's Ole Country Store via Globe Road

• HTML tutorial

RichardS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
Member #

This is a fantastic little route into the heart of Western North Carolina. Blowing Rock is a charming mountain town with restaurants, coffee shops, a brewery, etc. Just 15 miles away, on Wilsons Creek is Betsey's Ole Country Store. Betsey's is run by a family, they offer primitive camping and even cook up breakfast and dinner on request. Betsey's is home to Blue Ridge Expeditions annual event, Winter Safari. The road to Betsey's takes about 45 minutes, its unpaved, dusty, windy, and totally fun. The road there is called Globe Rd which at some point becomes NC-90 W.

From Betsey's there are lots of options for unpaved routes. Roseboro Road offers trout fishing and Brown Mountain Beach Road has some incredible views of Wilson Creek. Off Roseboro is a little traveled trail called Old House Gap Road, you'll want to air down for that one. Takes about 35 minutes to travel the 3.5 miles. If you are really feeling adventurous, check out the infamous Richland Road. That run takes 3-4 hours to go 10.20 miles. 10.1 miles from Betsey's there is a state run OHV park with a single 12.6 mile 4x4 loop called Brown Mountain OHV. Brown Mountain is open April 1 to Jan 1 and costs $5 a day. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=49004 Its worth doing when open, but if you can only choose one, do Richland Road.

Roseboro Road, near entrance to Old House Gap Road IMG_7323.JPG

Richland Road
IMG_7712-2.JPG

Panoramic view of Wilson Creek
IMG_7318.JPG

Spring trout off Roseboro Rd
IMG_8110.JPG

Typical portion of Richland Rd
IMG_7685-2.JPG

justin marsh

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Miriam Vale QLD Australia
Member #

Kroombit Tops National Park

Attachments

coondawg

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Alabama
Member #

Used to live in that area but didn't get a chance to do any off-roading mostly because of no 4x4. Miss living up there Looks like I'm going have to get back up there soon. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: RichardS

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

Hey thanks for this post it made my 4th a blast. Did Old NC 105 into Roseboro Rd then down Brown Mountain. Hope to make it back out and do some of the more intense sections with some on board air and a buddy next time!

Reactions: Big E

tnave94

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sanford, NC
Member #

This is a fantastic little route into the heart of Western North Carolina. Blowing Rock is a charming mountain town with restaurants, coffee shops, a brewery, etc. Just 15 miles away, on Wilsons Creek is Betsey's Ole Country Store. Betsey's is run by a family, they offer primitive camping and even cook up breakfast and dinner on request. Betsey's is home to Blue Ridge Expeditions annual event, Winter Safari. The road to Betsey's takes about 45 minutes, its unpaved, dusty, windy, and totally fun. The road there is called Globe Rd which at some point becomes NC-90 W.

From Betsey's there are lots of options for unpaved routes. Roseboro Road offers trout fishing and Brown Mountain Beach Road has some incredible views of Wilson Creek. Off Roseboro is a little traveled trail called Old House Gap Road, you'll want to air down for that one. Takes about 35 minutes to travel the 3.5 miles. If you are really feeling adventurous, check out the infamous Richland Road. That run takes 3-4 hours to go 10.20 miles. 10.1 miles from Betsey's there is a state run OHV park with a single 12.6 mile 4x4 loop called Brown Mountain OHV. Brown Mountain is open April 1 to Jan 1 and costs $5 a day. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=49004 Its worth doing when open, but if you can only choose one, do Richland Road.

Roseboro Road, near entrance to Old House Gap Road View attachment 18624

Richland Road
View attachment 18626

Panoramic view of Wilson Creek
View attachment 18627

Spring trout off Roseboro Rd
View attachment 18628

Typical portion of Richland Rd
View attachment 18629
Agreed. Absolutely my favorite place during my time at Appalachian State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gobi_recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

FYI There has been alot of negative attention floating around Richland rd by the land owners off that road. I believe the actual road is still state owned but any side road is owned by their respected land owners.