Black Hills in Winter (FL to SD)

• HTML tutorial

Brad A Kropp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL
Member #

Wanted to share my trip with the community and open it up for suggestions. Not a pure overlanding trip, but (hopefully) a rather epic roadtrip.

The trip: Black Hills & Custer State Park Day Hiking
Start Point: Jupiter, FL
Destination: Keystone, SD
Dates: 12/17 thru 12/24
  • Leg #1: FL to Chattanooga, TN
  • Leg #2: Chatt to St. Joseph, MO
  • Leg #3: SJ to Keystone, SD
  • 2 Days on Station in Keystone (12/20 - 12/21)
  • Reverse legs home.
Distance: 4,200 miles total - 6 days driving (round trip) + 2 days on station

The background: I've always wanted to see Mount Rushmore and hike the #9 trail in Custer State Park to Harney Peak (now Black Elk Peak).

The challenge: Thanks to "Mr. Polar Vortex" road conditions have been fluid but mostly passable. Trail conditions in Custer State Park are also fluid. Thankfully, the high is set to be 40 degrees (as of today) on the trail for the day I want to hike (12/21). Hopefully, trail conditions allow for hiking.

Side notes:
  • Unfortunately, the Needles Highway is closed during the season. Bummer because it will have to remain on my bucket list...but all the more reason to return in summer!
  • No cold weather camping on this trip. That would just be crazy right now. Just (hopefully) day hikes if trail conditions allow
  • Also, don't let the Florida home base location fool you. I've only lived here for 2 years. Before that Illinois and Oklahoma. I've done a fair share of cold weather camping & hiking plus driving in winter/snow/ice conditions.
Happy to hear from any & all as to suggestions...or even if it's just to tell me I'm crazy. haha. I have an extra week of PTO (my company just switched to "use it or lose it" this year) so I wanted to take a roadtrip rather than sit at home.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I live in Rapid City. Highly recommend Iron Mountain Road instead of needles highway. There are a ton of trails out here in the hills and if you plan on running any of them, you will need a permit from the ranger stations. Let me know if you need any other ideas or help since you'll be in my backyard!