Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Hey everyone! Figured I’d share my very mild 2008 GX470. I bought it a couple years ago with 49k on the odometer and have been using it for mild wheeling and camping ever since. Prior to the GX, I had a 2nd gen Tacoma, a TJ, XJ, and CJ.

2008 GX470:
Stock suspension
SSO sliders (weld-on)
T4R TRD Pro wheels in graphite
275/70r17 Cooper S/T Maxx tires

A ~2” lift and Gobi rack are planned down the road, but no immediate plans right now. I usually upgrade as necessary (i.e., when something breaks or limits me, I replace it with an upgrade). The GX is a very capable vehicle in stock form and I don’t plan to use it for rock crawling, so not much more is needed mechanically. A rear locker might be nice :)

Day I brought it home

Having the SSO sliders welded on

Not the best picture, but I pushed the front wheel well liners forward approx. 2” to accommodate 275/70r17s without a lift. Took about 20 mins and you’d never know it wasn’t that way from the factory. Used this video for reference: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOIp0qX_Gh

After the TRD Pros and 275s were mounted (yes, apparently I like to take pictures on garbage night)

I scrape the 6’5” clearance warning thing at my garage with the bigger tires. I’ll have to find a new place to park if I lift it haha

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Looks great! I've seen GXs out on trails and I'm thinking how the hell did a Lexus get out here. I had to look them up. Had no idea they were so capable.

Reactions: Arailt

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Thanks! Yeah, I’ve always liked them, but started considering seruously a few years ago when I was looking to buy a 04’-07’ 100 Series. They’re identical to what the rest of the world knows as the Land Cruiser Prado with slightly different styling cues and a more plush interior, sound deadening, bells/whistles, etc. Close in size to an 80 Series, powerful, affordable, super reliable, and most of the suspension offerings for an FJ Cruiser/4th gen T4R are direct bolt-on. The aftermarket for the GX itself is really starting to take off now that the cat is out of the bag.

Reactions: JCWages

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Hey everyone, quick update after four years:

I traded the 2008 GX470 for a 2019 GX460 Premium.

Out with the old.

In with the new.

Reactions: Dougnuts

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

New wheels and tires - Motegi Tralite 17x8.5, 0 offset and 275/70r17 Falken Wildpeak Load Range C. Stock suspension. Zero rubbing (even at full lock) on-road after following the steps below. 275/70 does not fit in the spare tire location, so I'll have to figure out a solution to that.

I had to move the front fender well liners forward like I did on the 470. On the 460, I removed one bolt (green) and two screws (red). I pushed the fender well forward, drilled a hole in the fender well plastic, and reinstalled the green bolt to hold it together.

I also had to zip tie back the running board at the rear of the front fender wells (blue). I removed the screw and retainer (pictured last photo), used an 11/32" drill bit to make the round hole on the running board larger, and put the zip tie through the square hole in the fender well diagonally. I used two 24" 175lb cable ties from Lowes on each side. I have seen write-ups that show to install a screw with a washer and nut that holds the zip ties in place of the screw that was removed from the running board. I skipped that step and looped the zip tie directly around the running board/fender well liner. I think the black zip tie looks cleaner than a silver screw and if/when one of the zip ties breaks, I won't have a metal screw rubbing against my tire.

Shot of the zip ties from underneath. The second zip tie wraps around the forward-most running board mount. I plan to carry spare zip ties because it seems like vibration and rubbing on the running board mount over time could cause them to eventually fail.

The screw and retainer (blue) is from the running board, and the screw and retainer (red) is from the front fender well (2 blue and 4 red total). All 6 were not were not reinstalled.

Reactions: Justin Forrest