Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I'm sure buried somewhere in these posts(I did search, didn't find it), some of yall talk about mountain biking. I've always loved riding bikes and am looking to get me a mountain bike to ride trails with. So I was wondering, how do yall transport your bikes when overlanding? Do you even take your bikes overlanding? What bike is a good starter (I'm not spending over $500)? And anything else anyone would like to add lol! I'm thinking of just purchasing a hitch mounted bike carrier and just put it on the back of my truck. I think it would be cool if I could come up with some type of mounts and mount it to the side of my bed rack! Anyway...whats yalls thoughts??

3Putt_Par

Rank I

Traveler I

Folsom, California, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Raley
Member #

I try and ride every day so I couldn’t even imagine going up to the mountains without my bikes. At $500 you’re going to be hard pressed to find a mountain bike worth riding unless you can find a used hard tail. Gravel bikes are a good option and could be in your price range.

I currently use a Thule xt hitch mounted to my Rigd ultra swing. but have a 1up rack on order. The Thule just isn’t solid enough to go off road attached to the ultra swing. Let me know if you have any questions about bikes. I’m way more versed in bikes than overlanding lol. But that’s why I’m here haha

Reactions: Lil Bear

DirtyBeans

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Meade MD
First Name
Louis
Last Name
Espinoza
Member #

I have not gone on any trips as of yet with my bike, but I normally carry it in the back of the truck with my tailgate pad. I am in the process of building a M101a3 trailer and I am playing with the idea of putting the bike in the back of the trailer over the tailgate or weling a 2" hitch on the back of the trailer for a hitch mounted carrier. I know that RCI makes the bike mounts to mount on the side of their roof racks, not sure if they would fit you application.

Attachments

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I try and ride every day so I couldn’t even imagine going up to the mountains without my bikes. At $500 you’re going to be hard pressed to find a mountain bike worth riding unless you can find a used hard tail. Gravel bikes are a good option and could be in your price range.

I currently use a Thule xt hitch mounted to my Rigd ultra swing. but have a 1up rack on order. The Thule just isn’t solid enough to go off road attached to the ultra swing. Let me know if you have any questions about bikes. I’m way more versed in bikes than overlanding lol. But that’s why I’m here haha
I just got me a GT aggressor pro. It was a gift for my birthday. From what I have found it is a good entry level bike. It was a good deal also lol. Gonna see about some upgrades after I ride it a few times.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I do quite a bit of gravel biking. I ride a Giant Escape (yes partially so I can say, I'm going to escape with an escape in an escape...) that I threw some better tires on. I'm into it about $800 after everything (bike, tires, saddle, bags, fenders). Honestly you can still get a decent mountain bike for $500-$600, but your options open way up if you are willing to go closer to $1k. With Giant at least you can easily buy one of their basic bikes for around $500 and over time upgrade the components until you have that $700-$800 bike. For each model the frame is the same, its all the components that get upgraded. I'm sure this may well be the case for others, but Giants are the only modern bikes I have owned so I can only speak about them.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have been a very active cyclist for many years, mountain biking. in the last few years less. From time to time I like to go out into nature with the bike. But I go hiking much more. Nevertheless, I had considered some time ago to take the bike with me on overlandin trips. However, I decided against, because it was too much effort and even more stuff to carry. Bike, canoe, sup board, hiking boots and much more, to take all this needs a lot of space and increases weight. iIm not a friend of large roof loads while overlanding. Maybe an offroad trailer would be a solution to carry all that stuff? But maybe I'm just looking for a reason to build me an offroad trailer. You know what I mean...

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I'm a surfer and a mountain biker first and foremost. To me, that is what makes overland travel so great as it gets me to the awesome places to do what I really love doing. I carry my bikes on a receiver mounted Yakima Rack. Check out www.bikesdirect.com They have several decent entry level bikes in the 500.00 range. IMG_3127.JPEG

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I just got me a GT aggressor pro. It was a gift for my birthday. From what I have found it is a good entry level bike. It was a good deal also lol. Gonna see about some upgrades after I ride it a few times.
I worked as a bike tech for a year at a local sports chain here. We sold GT. They are great bikes. My wife has the aggressor pro as well. They made a female specific model and it fits her perfect. I am riding a specialized rockhopper and Colin has a Diadora 26'er kids bike. We grew up in the early days of freestyle and Mountain biking. Where we would get a cheap bike, add parts and build something cool. I worked all year my graduating year to buy my Specialized. I still have it today, as well as my first real mountain bike which was a CCM frame and built from other parts I acquired. It was cool my next door neighbour bought the bike off me when I bought my Spech'. He gave it to Colin last fall!

Biking is awesome. I am replacing my motorcycles with pedal power/e power now.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I am always bringing one of my bikes on my trips whenever possible. The best way I have found is using a hitch mounted rack. I used to work at a truck/SUV outfitter many years ago and I have always used Thule racks. Best quality, best design and sturdy as hell. Look to craigslist, you can find them at reasonable prices used.

As for buying a bike, for 500 bucks, I would once again suggest looking to craigslist. Lots of quality used bikes out there. If you have a friend that knows bikes, they can help you find a good deal on a used bike. I would rather buy a quality used bike for 500 bucks than almost any new mountain bike priced at 500 bucks. New mountain bikes inbthe 500 dollar range will have the latest features like hydraulic brakes, 1 x 10 drivetrains and adjustable forks, butbthe components will be bottom of the barrel. Look for a used bike with a reputable brand with a frame that is undamaged. I would rather ride 8 year old shimano XT components over brand new cheapo components any day of the week. Good luck!

BikeTraveller

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Rodney
Last Name
Boles
In the past, I’ve mostly carried bikes via a hitch mount (or a spare tire mount when I had a Jeep). I’m in the process of building out a Suburban to road trip and overland in. I can mount a bike inside for increased security and stealthiness, at least when traveling solo.
I‘m planning a summer long trip with the family with me for most of it, though, and won’t be able to set up this way. I am thinking a roof rack mount might be the most secure. It would be tough for someone to get up there and get it off the vehicle without waking us. I can throw it in the vehicle if we park at a trailhead for a hike.
I‘m currently at three bikes. This is my road bike. I have a gravel bike that’s a bit older, but other than tires pretty similar. And the a heavy steel touring bike that’s basically a drop bar rigid MTB. I sold my FS MTB to fund the tourer, and occasionally miss it. I’ve got a decent chunk of change in bikes and bike-related gear, but I ride at least 8 hours a week, as well as tour by bike often. 5FF222D7-B45D-4F66-AE73-417F4920EC72.jpegMy setp