Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
So we arrived back in Cyprus for a calm 8 days final preps before we start our trip.

We should have collected the Landy Wilson from the garage the day after we arrived but sadly that did not happen. We also had to contend with no mains water as the land lord had not paid his bill so the water meter was removed.

Wilson was off the road first with a water pump issue then an oil leak on the oil cooler so garage ordered a new gasket, The courier akis express lost the gasket.

So a second one was sent out from a different Land Rover depot and akis express also lost that one, talk about incompetent.

After 2 days of searching one of them was finally found and was fitted friday (yesterday).

I could now relax a little so enjoyed a couple beers in the sunshine. That one €20 gasket was going to cost us €100's if it had not been found as we would have to extend the rental apartment, extend the rental car and change the ferry booking. To say I was stressed out is an understatement.

We collected Wilson last night and today I have finally managed get some work done loading up the trailer, couple minor repairs and a 100 mile test run on Wilson. We should have had plenty of time to do this but everything went against us and as Wilson has just had a new gearbox I am now trying to get as many miles on it as I can before we head off just to be comfortable and confident in it.

We have all of tomorrow to finish off everything else and hopefully another minimum 100 mile trial run before the trip starts on Monday.

Big trip psychology is not something I had planned for but had been warned about by experience long trip Overlanders. Back in January I said I was stressed and one Overlander who did Europe, Africa the across to South America and the Pan American to Alaska commented I hadn't seen anything yet !!!

I am just now realising more and more what he meant.

Below is couple of pic from our week so far trying to plan and prepare but always with the thought Wilson the Landy might not be ready.17504586_1861722007442923_5068660686164494696_o (1).jpg 17545464_1861796207435503_1902138008364189690_o (1).jpg 17621669_1862215290726928_2792673552928349623_o.jpg 17545210_1863334047281719_332966248737328115_o (1).jpg 17632416_1864732913808499_2297104613002463256_o.jpg

Reactions: Scott nunn

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Looks like you are going to venture into Turkey - just by looking at the laptop. There are so many great places to go in Turkey. I spent 2.5 years there in Adana with a Suzuki Samurai 1989 - 1991 and I enjoyed my entire time there. Castle by the Sea was one of my favorites places to go on the weekends.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Looks like you are going to venture into Turkey - just by looking at the laptop. There are so many great places to go in Turkey. I spent 2.5 years there with a Suzuki Samurai 1989 - 1991 and I enjoyed my entire time there. Castle by the Sea was one of my favorites places to go on the weekends.
We have about 3500 miles to do in Turkey trying to see as much as we can. Sadly the security situation in the East and South East is dictating where we can go however we are hitting Cappadocia of course then east to Nemrut Dagi and north to the Black Sea Coast and Sumela Monestry etc.
From there we head south west ish back into the centre of Turkey then down to follow the southern coast all the way to Gallipoli.
We both love historical sights so again we will hit as many as we can and if need to will use our full 90 days visa to see as much as we can.
After that Greece and the rest of Europe.

Those Suzuki Samuri's are little wippets that scamprer up anything and anywhere. Always fancied one a fun run about but sadly all my moneys goes on Land Rovers and trips like this which we hope to complete in around 12 months.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Are you coming in to Silifke or Mersin? In Tarsus are you going to stop to see where Mark Anthony and Cleopatra visited at a small park with waterfalls in the background and a great Chi outdoor cafe. Is that Konya as your destination? Beautiful mountains and off roading especially if there is still snow on the roads.

Last edited:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
There is so much history there it is hard to take it all in - especially coming from such a young country USA. I know what you mean about security now, as the military isn't allowed to bring their families with them any more. We did our best to see as many historical sites as possible when we were there, I put 25,000 miles on my Suzuki while there.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I wish that I could remember how to get back to an area along the Tarsus Çayi that we used to camp (I will try to explain it the best way that I know how) A river flowing into the side of a hill and just stopped. In the middle of the hill were these clear pools of water where you could cliff dive as they were about 20 - 40 feet deep and then you walk a little further to a cave opening where the river came out with these beautiful waterfalls that we used to wade into the water and go under the falls. The water was freezing cold all year long.