Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Went to Big Bend Ranch State Park for a week with my son a few weeks ago. This was my first trip to this park, but have been to Big Bend region many times. I decided to catalog the trip only using my phone and gopro and have shared via Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2q1cQf8sgpYqRdULGbaFHQ

Some of my key observations.

1. Size matters. I had forgotten just how enormous this area is and getting around exploring takes a lot longer than I remember. The park road just to get into the interior and the Sauceda ranger station is a bone-rattling 26 mile drive. Definitely air down for this one. I saw a few regular cars (Honda Accord) at the ranger station and I'm not sure how they had the patience for the drive in.
2. Plan well for water. The ranger station has potable water, but there isn't readily potable water anywhere else in the park that wouldn't require purifying/filtering. My son and I needed around 5 gallons a day for drinking/cooking/cleaning.
3. I would not bother with sites that don't have a shade structure (aka ramada). Even in late February/Early March the sun is relentless. I made the mistake of booking Yedra 2, which I thought had a ramada, which it did not. After staying at Pila Montoya 3 for several days and having one, I just couldn't give that up. Which brings me to my next point.
4. The site reservation system is a giant pain and the rangers at Sauceda are not able to book sites more than 1 night at a time...apparently. So changing sites on the spot can be an issue if the park is busy. Also, sites that are booked yet unoccupied aren't available, so people that end up not showing up have no incentive to call and forfeit the site.
5. Something I learned, most sites are at least 1/4 mile from the main road or main trail, and 1/4 mile from any other site. For me, the remoteness of my site was what I wanted, however, some of the trails to the sites can be really slow and very narrow. So you may be less than 1/2 a mile to the main road, but it might take 20-30 minutes to get in/out of your site. Factor that time into travel time for exploring or going to Sauceda.
6. Consider protective film for your vehicle. I now have the pinstriping badge of honor on my Tacoma - it will likely buff out for the most part, but I think full size vehicles on some trails would come away with some serious scratches in the paint.
7. It is an amazing place, so huge, remote, and I still can't get over the silence, when there is no wind is a little eerie at how there is no sound.
8. Be prepared for wind, A LOT OF WIND.
9. Would I do it again? Yes - but not for 7 days. I would combine it with travel to Big Bend NP, Fort Davis State Park, McDonald Observatory, maybe add in Guadalupe Mountains NP.

Hope this helps.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

Went there for a week in December 2019, I would agree with what you posted. Only thing I would add is that for any future trips I plan on booking a different site for every night, it is spread out so you don't want to camp in the same place the whole trip. Two nights at most in the same spot. Only other thing is for me, shade doesn't matter, I was either out hiking or in/around my camper so had my own shade to work with. For one of the sites I had chosen, I wasn't sure I was still on the road it was so overgrown, I had to get out hike a ways to make sure I was headed in the right direction, definitely got pin strips, but not all the sites are like that so anyone who is afraid for their vehicle can talk to the rangers before booking.

Reactions: atomicode

atomicode

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

nerd alert - One of my post trip work items is to create a spreadsheet of all the sites in the park with key information pulled from multiple sources so I can more easily plan my next trip to make sure I maximize the time needed to explore.

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We went in April at the begining of the month. Rode out from El Paso and was more of just a camping trip.

I will say the Texas State parks system blows. As of right now, there isn't a park with an open reservation for months, so plan well.

We stayed at Pila de los Muchachos Campsite and it was great, again no cover as you mentioned.

Plan out the time and distance.. Thats important

Enthusiast I

First Name
Houston
Last Name
Brown
nerd alert - One of my post trip work items is to create a spreadsheet of all the sites in the park with key information pulled from multiple sources so I can more easily plan my next trip to make sure I maximize the time needed to explore.
Did you ever complete this spreadsheet? :) Heading there in a few weeks and was planning to document as many sites and trails myself.