Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We'll be in Big Bend National Park this weekend. (Anyone else by chance?)

For those that have been, any tips for campsites, overlanding sites, etc?

We're really pumped. It's been on our bucket list for a hot minute. Thanks in advance. We're on our way to Overland Expo and the park was kind of on our route so we figured now is the time for us to hit it.

Jeepsies aka Eric, Brittany, and #LittleNomad

Reactions: roots66

Ross Hoffman

Rank 0

Contributor II

We're really pumped. It's been on our bucket list for a hot minute. Thanks in advance. We're on our way to Overland Expo and the park was kind of on our route so we figured now is the time for us to hit it.

@Jeepsies Sorry your question feel on deaf ears. Hopefully my reply doesn't. How was the trip? I plan to make this once I get my RTT for my pickup. It'll be a maiden voyage of sorts for me. Which sites did yall visit and overnight camp at? Any pictures? Is black gap road intense? Unfortunately, I don't have jeep. I'll be making the trip from south central Texas.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Same here. Plan to make our first trip when we can afford the time to travel there. I do know it's crazy busy during Spring Break and summer is seriously hot, so timing seems to be a key factor. Looking forward to hearing your experience.

Walt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tulsa, OK, USA
Member #

I hear winter is prime time for Big Bend. Am also anxious to learn of "must see" points with in the park. Also, wondering if sit-on-top kayaking is generally safe in that area of the Rio Grand. THX

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Also, wondering if sit-on-top kayaking is generally safe in that area of the Rio Grand. THX
I would think some places should be. Found this video about the park.

Walt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tulsa, OK, USA
Member #

WOW.... thx. Just spotted thru some of this. Looks great. Will go home and watch it all with my wife.
Much appreciated.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I know myself and others and placed some big bend info on here recently. It's such an awesome place. I hope y'all have fun. We'll probably go back this fall or winter.

Reactions: Walt

Edward Ruth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Ruth
Member #

Our experience with Big Bend Nat’l Park is there are only a few backcountry campsites. If you plan to go on a busy time,like a winter holiday, you may find yourself shut out.

The park does not take reservations for backcountry and it’s supposed to be first come first served but there is a secret website that lets get a place in line the night before. There were people who arrived at the park office long after we did that were able to jump ahead of us in line because they knew the secret URL. If it still works try this:

75.41.147.131/cgi-bin/perit

It should open something called the “Campo Backcountry Permit System”

Reactions: grubworm

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
you said fall or winter...is it pretty brutal there in the summer? we're planning our first trip there and i was thinking summer, but i dont want to go if its going to be too hot to enjoy
From what I've seen/read, summer temps can reach 120°. So depending on your setup, it may be too hot to camp. The mountains are supposed to be cooler, but not sure there's camping there.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
@Jeepsies Sorry your question feel on deaf ears. Hopefully my reply doesn't. How was the trip? I plan to make this once I get my RTT for my pickup. It'll be a maiden voyage of sorts for me. Which sites did yall visit and overnight camp at? Any pictures? Is black gap road intense? Unfortunately, I don't have jeep. I'll be making the trip from south central Texas.

Contact Rusty 78609 on utube, he knows every camp spot in Texas.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
you said fall or winter...is it pretty brutal there in the summer? we're planning our first trip there and i was thinking summer, but i dont want to go if its going to be too hot to enjoy
Ha ha the good part about going in the summer is you'll be the only one there. Its way too hot to go then. Keep in mind there are no trees in big bend other than by the river and up in the mountains. BYOS: bring your own shade.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are very busy as is spring break. We go in the late march and april time frame and my friends that go much more often do the same. We reserve a campsite at Rancho Topango so we can have running water and showers, etc. At least that way you know you have a spot vs trying to get a back country spot which is pretty much just a flat spot on the ground and nothing else. There's a lot of spots but they are many miles apart. You may get a site you may not.

Reactions: grubworm and Walt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ha ha the good part about going in the summer is you'll be the only one there. Its way too hot to go then. Keep in mind there are no trees in big bend other than by the river and up in the mountains. BYOS: bring your own shade.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are very busy as is spring break. We go in the late march and april time frame and my friends that go much more often do the same. We reserve a campsite at Rancho Topango so we can have running water and showers, etc. At least that way you know you have a spot vs trying to get a back country spot which is pretty much just a flat spot on the ground and nothing else. There's a lot of spots but they are many miles apart. You may get a site you may not.
The trick is to go to Balmorhea instead. Go gar fishing there ! Good deep swimming hole separate from lake , heat wont bother you at all !

Walt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tulsa, OK, USA
Member #

Very helpful! Thank you

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hear winter is prime time for Big Bend. Am also anxious to learn of "must see" points with in the park. Also, wondering if sit-on-top kayaking is generally safe in that area of the Rio Grand. THX
The trick is to go to Balmorhea instead. Go gar fishing there ! Good deep swimming hole separate from lake , heat wont bother you at all !

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Yeah, I was hoping for a little more feedback before we took the trip, but it ended up being really nice anyway. Not to leave you hanging however, we documented the trip on our RV Blog. You can find the article here with all the details. There are some photos too.

As far as Black Gap, it is a very easy trail, but incredibly scenic. I'd recommend you air down a little before turning onto Glen Springs road which leads you out to Black Gap. Just because of the washboard and it will make for a nicer ride. There is only one section of Black Gap that should offer you any sort of challenge. It is located about halfway in and is about 100 feet in length. However with proper wheel placement, and maybe a few strategically placed rocks, a non-lifted truck should have no problems in my opinion. However, do not go alone just in case (pretty easy to find someone at the park to run with) and take a lot of water, sunscreen, hats, etc!

Hope that answers your questions, if you have more let us know!

Reactions: roots66 and Walt

Taco_Rojo_

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Robstown Texas
First Name
Jesus
Last Name
C
Member #

Thinking of heading to Big Bend and would love to do some fishing. I see its a bit out the way but hows the gar fishing there?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thinking of heading to Big Bend and would love to do some fishing. I see its a bit out the way but hows the gar fishing there?
I haven't fished there in years but am told it is still good. You might
It doesn't look too promising for fishing according to this report for 2017
I guess the gar fish has been wiped out since the last time I was there in the 80's. Still a nice place to swim and relax
for a couple of days. Check out the other sites about Balmorah as well, some people like it others don't.

Reactions: Taco_Rojo_