Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have been a KO supporter for years, I ran KO's or Generals for tens of years mostly BFG. I have been very happy with the on and off road performance, I got about 45k miles on them, never a sidewall fail. I didn't mind paying a premium price. I put a set of KO2's plus a spare on the truck I have now. I replaced 3 and rotated the spare to use after 28K miles, I thought this sucks, lets see what I get from these. I am at 20K now and will not be getting 30k from them. I am very disappointed. I go with Genarals next time. Please I don't need suggestions on your favorite tire is, I wanted to let others know about my experience with KO2's.

My truck is a driveway queen get's driven11000 mile per year on average, 60 to 75 % is getting to where the pavement ends, the rest is dirt. I do spend a lot of time in Baja and the desert trails around So. Cal. trips to Nevada and both sides of the Sierra are not uncommon.
I know Toyo, Cooper, Goodyear Nitto, Falken, and everybody else makes good tires.
I rant is done.

Reactions: KAIONE

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
I have KO2s on my 2103 wrangler and they have been on the truck for 3.5 years and yes mine is also a driveway queen but after 26k miles they still
look and behave as if they were new. I have been to Colorado and around New Mexico and have no complaints so I am surprised that you are having
such bad luck with them I wish I had an idea. I know not much help.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have been a KO supporter for years, I ran KO's or Generals for tens of years mostly BFG. I have been very happy with the on and off road performance, I got about 45k miles on them, never a sidewall fail. I didn't mind paying a premium price. I put a set of KO2's plus a spare on the truck I have now. I replaced 3 and rotated the spare to use after 28K miles, I thought this sucks, lets see what I get from these. I am at 20K now and will not be getting 30k from them. I am very disappointed. I go with Genarals next time. Please I don't need suggestions on your favorite tire is, I wanted to let others know about my experience with KO2's.

My truck is a driveway queen get's driven11000 mile per year on average, 60 to 75 % is getting to where the pavement ends, the rest is dirt. I do spend a lot of time in Baja and the desert trails around So. Cal. trips to Nevada and both sides of the Sierra are not uncommon.
I know Toyo, Cooper, Goodyear Nitto, Falken, and everybody else makes good tires.
I rant is done.
looking forward to how your next set of tires perform.

Most of my KOs MTs also got about 45K miles. I swithched to a tall skinny grip a few years ago and I'm getting 60K miles on them. Plus a 5mpg just in fuel economy which adds 95 miles between gas stops. I got tired of the rough ride, poor fuel economy and went looking for something different, the extra 15K miles of tread life was a hidden bonus.

Yokohams 742S tires in a 7.50R16..... technically a 185/100R16. Pizza cutters. They excell in winter driving.

And not a driveway queen.... I drive 24K miles every year, pulling a trailer 10K miles a year.

7.50R16s vs 245/75R16s
IMG_0453.jpeg

Reactions: KAIONE and MMc

Tom Cole

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Weatherford, Texas, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cole
Member #

Mis Dos Pesos.... KO2 have been a great tire for me. When they first came to market years ago, they rocked the tire world. But since then, other tire manufacturers have come out with their KO competitors and I have to say some of them are pretty dang good. I currently own and run KO2s and are happy with them. I also have a pair of KM3s I switch over to when I'm planning a 'rough' trip. I'm interested in what you switch to when you do.

Reactions: KAIONE and MMc

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I was seriously considering KO2’s, until I read reviews on performance in the rain. For my driving, my rain-on-road to off-road driving is about 20:1. So, I went with an AT tire with better wet road performance.
Last spring I drove 400 miles in the rain. I had zero issues. No hydroplaning, nothing. @Adventures with Penny was with me and commented several times about hydroplaning. Both of us on KO2s, but different rigs. I’d say, the rain performance “depends “.

someone noted above issues with balancing. I have about 15k on mine and have noticed a vibration. Three tries to get it mostly right. It’s close. How do I know it’s tires? I swiped the set of pursuit tires from my other rig for a test drive, and had no negative behavior.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Wow that’s interesting I never had any issues with the KOs in the wet. Especially when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Where I lived I could have snow at my house & drive 1.5 miles down the hill about 850 feet elevation change in to rain. They always performed great in both, one of the main reason I ran them… what did you end up getting?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Yep, something about the last few years. I’ve had previous sets not give me or others this issue, but they were not 265/70-17. My current BFGs are getting remounted on old steel wheels for beach, nasty trail and ranch use. No wet weather problems but they must be out of round because they’ll start to vibrate the truck on my way home from rebalancing. Yes, I tried the entire range of pressure and it did not do much.

Reactions: MMc and Sparksalot

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Wow that’s interesting I never had any issues with the KOs in the wet. Especially when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Where I lived I could have snow at my house & drive 1.5 miles down the hill about 850 feet elevation change in to rain. They always performed great in both, one of the main reason I ran them… what did you end up getting?
I'll most likely go with Generals, I have not replaced them yet, they still have tread, I am disappointed from the life I am getting.

I run on dirt roads and two tracks, mostly sand and beach rock. I like the wide foot print for both. I don't wheel hard, it's not important to me to see if I can climb something. I go to remote places and play. I drive a full size truck set up for doing that. The KO's have always been good and done me right, but only getting 25k befor replacement isn't for me.

EDIT: When I started running full size truck, I stopped caring about gas mileage for the most part. A 3/4 ton 4X4 running 4.11s on gas isn't getting much mileage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have been running BFG AT's for 25 years (7 sets). Originally I could get 50k on them, but as they changed the compound, the mileage dropped. All in all, I have had good luck with the various versions. A couple of months ago I had to replace my tires and the KO2s were no where to be found and I was forced to go with MTs. What a difference. Above 65mph the noise skyrockets. They follow the ruts in the road horribly. Haven't had a chance to test them on snow and ice yet. Wish I could have gone the the KO2s.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I haven't run with KO2s since my rubicon days 10 years ago. I never had any problems, no flats, no loss of traction in or upon any roadway and always got at least 40,000 miles out of all my BFG products. I'm experimenting with the Generals now for the first time and so far at 35,000 miles am pleased with them for the price. The only downsides are sidewall bulge, roll out at high speed cornering, ( vehicle is at GVRW 7,000lbs ) and the high pitched whine road noise which was difficult to get used to. Because of these things, I'll be going back to BFGs. However, to the point @MMc, I have heard from more than a few tire dealerships over the decades that BFGs and Chevrolet do not play well together. If you have a Chevy that may be the reason for their premature failure. One thing I learnt about mud terrain tires is that if you have even one bad or borderline suspension bushing, kiss MT tires goodbye. They are not forgiving at all, whereas ATs are much more forgiving.

Reactions: MMc

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I rant is done.
Curious if you are seeing where on one axel over others? I had an alignment issue with my truck in the past that caused excessive tire wear.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I haven't run with KO2s since my rubicon days 10 years ago. I never had any problems, no flats, no loss of traction in or upon any roadway and always got at least 40,000 miles out of all my BFG products. I'm experimenting with the Generals now for the first time and so far at 35,000 miles am pleased with them for the price. The only downsides are sidewall bulge, roll out at high speed cornering, ( vehicle is at GVRW 7,000lbs ) and the high pitched whine road noise which was difficult to get used to. Because of these things, I'll be going back to BFGs. However, to the point @MMc, I have heard from more than a few tire dealerships over the decades that BFGs and Chevrolet do not play well together. If you have a Chevy that may be the reason for their premature failure. One thing I learnt about mud terrain tires is that if you have even one bad or borderline suspension bushing, kiss MT tires goodbye. They are not forgiving at all, whereas ATs are much more forgiving.
Mine is a Ram. I have not need a M/T tire so far. Thanks for the heads up about the Generals, which ones are you running now?

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Curious if you are seeing where on one axel over others? I had an alignment issue with my truck in the past that caused excessive tire wear.
Hard to say as I rotate when I change to oil. I had alined last week as it was a bit towed out, it was minor. I also replaced the steering damper with the alinement. I am very proactive on maintenance. Thanks for the suggestion>

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Haris

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
Haris
Last Name
Husain
Member #

I have a set of KO2 on my LR4 since May last year, and have done about 8k miles on these in the Pacific NorthWest. A bunch of these have been on off-roading trips in dirt and mud, and some in snow (incl the recent storm in PNW). +ves are decent road noise, great traction Offroad and in snow and haven't had trouble in wet. Big negative is difficulty balancing. Its almost a lost cause, I've taken to a known expert balancing shop here and its bearable, but they told me that one of the tires is somewhat pear-shaped. I do wander what my next tire should be after this.

• Sad
Reactions: Sparksalot

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I was seriously considering KO2’s, until I read reviews on performance in the rain. For my driving, my rain-on-road to off-road driving is about 20:1. So, I went with an AT tire with better wet road performance.
That is exactly why I threw on a set with spare of Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on to my Toyota Tacoma.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I'll most likely go with Generals, I have not replaced them yet, they still have tread, I am disappointed from the life I am getting.

I run on dirt roads and two tracks, mostly sand and beach rock. I like the wide foot print for both. I don't wheel hard, it's not important to me to see if I can climb something. I go to remote places and play. I drive a full size truck set up for doing that. The KO's have always been good and done me right, but only getting 25k befor replacement isn't for me.

EDIT: When I started running full size truck, I stopped caring about gas mileage for the most part. A 3/4 ton 4X4 running 4.11s on gas isn't getting much mileage.
I’ve heard a lot of good stuff on the Generals & I considered them big time. I’ve also been told the milestar Patagonia are pretty good too, especially in sand or sandy rock. I’ve actually thought about putting these on my Jeep to see how they do… as I mostly will need to replace the tires on the Jeep this spring/summer.

Reactions: Wellspring