thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
I just bought my first pickup truck, 2016 F150 4x4 extended cab with ecoboost. After much research I settled on BFG KO2 D rating, only to get a call that they are on national backorder.

Rim size is 265/70/17

The tires that came with the truck are cracked and need replacement asap so Im forced to go with either C or E.

I won't be doing much towing in the immediate future but perhaps next year if I find a nice travel trailer. I do light off roading for camping purposes. My bigger concern would be sidewall strength for some of the very rough and rocky roads I like to travel.

Are the Es overkill? I also do a lot of highway traveling as well. I dont mind a bit of a rough ride, just perhaps being a bit nitpicky, but these will be on my truck for the next 40k miles at least....or so I hope.

Also I like to play in the snow a lot if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
The C's will give you more sidewall flex when aired down and slightly better gas mileage but the E's give you a thicker sidewall that's less susceptible to punctures. When you're offroading, how much gear to you have loaded? Do you do more rock crawling or running on tight trails with sharp rocks and sticks down around the tires? I run the E's because I'd rather have the sidewall protection, but that's a personal preference.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I would go with the E range. The tires are sturdier and if you plan on towing, you will prefer them. They are a little heavier but the added puncture resistance and stability with a load are more than worth the sacrifice.

I've been running them on my X for 45k miles and on my S10 Blazer and Jeep Cherokee before that.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Its all personal preference. That size came stock on my Winter Edition JKU in C load. Its a heavy Jeep and I never noticed an issue with side wall instability at pressures in the teens. E will get you better gas mileage at higher pressures, more so than C, but bumps, speed bumps, potholes will cause a lot more bang than C's at the same pressure. All in all a great tire. Mine made it to 52k before replacing them with 35's.

Reactions: thalooch

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
Its all personal preference. That size came stock on my Winter Edition JKU in C load. Its a heavy Jeep and I never noticed an issue with side wall instability at pressures in the teens. E will get you better gas mileage at higher pressures, more so than C, but bumps, speed bumps, potholes will cause a lot more bang than C's at the same pressure. All in all a great tire. Mine made it to 52k before replacing them with 35's.
Interesting! I read that Es would potentially hurt mpg a little, this is encouraging information!

They said they would sell me the Es at the same price so I think I'll stick with those.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Interesting! I read that Es would potentially hurt mpg a little, this is encouraging information!

They said they would sell me the Es at the same price so I think I'll stick with those.
I think the Es are a little heavier thus the mpg hit. I have over 50k on ones on Tacoma and probably have another 10-15k left. That said, I had a slow leak after tripping around N. Georgia the other week. Apparently a thorn (what my repair guy speculated) punctured on the side of the tread just on the sidewall and wouldn't hold a plug. He was able to put a patch inside and thought it wouldn't be a problem and hasn't been so far. I will probably go with them again since the mileage on tires has been very good and rides good. Noise, eh, took my backseat out and noise increased but when it's fully packed with all my stuff it's better...and I just turn my hearing aids off :smile:

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Psi to psi is what I was mentioning. BFG site says C is 46lbs, E 53lbs. So yes, potentially you could see 1 or 2mpg drop. Didnt remember the weight being that much different.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I haven't been impressed with BFG KO2s in my Ram 1500. Discount tire wouldn't let me put the D rated tires, only the E based on the truck specs. The tires shake the entire truck at road speeds within a week of being balanced. Good performance in deep sand at slow speeds on Matagorda beach at its worst, but not a major improvement from the Goodyear silent armor that came with the truck and worn down 70% after 40k. They are ok on rocks and gravel, but again, not much better than my worn silent armor. They get better grip on wet pavement than the worn tires, but not by much. New vs new, BFG would get second place. If it wasn't for my plan to run to padre Island around Christmas, I'd probably return them. I might still do it though. Weighing the potential advantage in sand vs the known 2 mpg cost and rough ride across the 2,000 miles of road trips planned for November and December.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I haven't been impressed with BFG KO2s in my Ram 1500. Discount tire wouldn't let me put the D rated tires, only the E based on the truck specs. The tires shake the entire truck at road speeds within a week of being balanced. Good performance in deep sand at slow speeds on Matagorda beach at its worst, but not a major improvement from the Goodyear silent armor that came with the truck and worn down 70% after 40k. They are ok on rocks and gravel, but again, not much better than my worn silent armor. They get better grip on wet pavement than the worn tires, but not by much. New vs new, BFG would get second place. If it wasn't for my plan to run to padre Island around Christmas, I'd probably return them. I might still do it though. Weighing the potential advantage in sand vs the known 2 mpg cost and rough ride across the 2,000 miles of road trips planned for November and December.
what PSI are you at? All that shakin goin on I gotta wonder

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Cs are a great around town tire. better ride, maybe better mileage.
Es are a tougher trail tire. rougher ride, heavier, likely not as efficient.
The difference, an E is a tougher tire, the C is a better daily driver choice.

Neither choice is a bad one. Just different.

Reactions: Desert Runner

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I just bought my first pickup truck, 2016 F150 4x4 extended cab with ecoboost.

Rim size is 265/70/17

I won't be doing much towing in the immediate future but perhaps next year if I find a nice travel trailer. I do light off roading for camping purposes. My bigger concern would be sidewall strength for some of the very rough and rocky roads I like to travel.

Are the Es overkill? I also do a lot of highway traveling as well. I dont mind a bit of a rough ride, just perhaps being a bit nitpicky, but these will be on my truck for the next 40k miles at least....or so I hope.

Also I like to play in the snow a lot if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Since you want to tow and off-road on very rough and rocky roads it seems to me there is only one choice an "E" rated tire. They will work much better than the "C" rated tires for towing and will live longer on the roads you want to off road on.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

what PSI are you at? All that shakin goin on I gotta wonder
Now I remember, 42, it was all low as I could go and not have the constant warning light.

But, my Goodyear tires were also E and didn't have this issue. I don't run 30, just testing some tire deflators.
20201114_085951_HDR.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Mine rumble and shake a bit until the tire itself warms up. Like the radials on your car did 40 years ago. After that I really can’t tell the difference from the cop tires just driving down the road. Wife wife swears the car rides smoother. Mmm, okay, if it makes her more at ease riding with me.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

You can't make a C tougher, but you can drop 2-3 PSI from an E if you are concerned about comfort.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shoreline, Washington 98155, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

I had Cs in another brand and went with the Es for KO2s. I really didn’t notice much ride difference and they were no louder. As others mentioned, that extra sidewall thickness is great Offroad and I haven’t noticed any negatives when driving on the highway. Either way they’re great tires

FindAReason

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hale
Running 285/70 r17 in E rating on an FJC, and I am very satisfied with on and offroad performance so far. I did not take much of a gas milage hit if any going from Goodyear mud terrains in 265/70 r17 to the KO2 and full budbuilt skids. Still doing 20-22 mpg regularly save for short trips with lots of stops, or lots of uphill in mountains.

Lawtonfire233

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fletcher, OK
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Woodall
Member #

I had E BFG KO2’s on my 2016 F-150 for over 80,000 miles (99% highway miles LOL!!!). They were absolutely great. I found a great deal on some used General Grabber G3’s and have them on now. I’m really torn between going back with KO2’s or KM3’s. I seriously loved the KO2’s though. Lasted forever and I keep a lot of weight in my bed. Not much towing though.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
I put a set of KO's on in the fall. Great tire. Traction, sound, everything. They came highly recommended and I'm glad I did. As far as Generals, I am an ex tire guy. Generals are garbage as far as I'm concerned. They are cheap when compared to similar tires and it's for a reason. There are many better choices.