Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
So my truck recently went into the mechanic on temp plates to get it registered and get everything clear. Tires is one of those things. My parents had to go pick up my dads truck from there this morning. And apparently the mechanic said the BFG all terrains are junk and shred halfway through their lifespan. I know many people that have used these tires for years, they love them and haven't had any issues with them. Has anyone here had any issues with them and are you satisfied with them? My parents picked something else out and I don't even know what they are. I'm not too happy about this whole situation at all and I really need some input.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

Typically the people who throw the negativity hammer down on tires without mentioning the positives as well as negatives are the ones who had a bad experience either with the tires or with the place they bought them from.

I recently switched from Coopers to KO2's and while I'd mention my dislike of them, I'd still also mention that they are a very good tire for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Def sounds like a one-off person unhappy about their individual experience. I'm planning on getting Treadwright Wardens (KO2 retreads), but I wouldn't blink twice at putting KO2s on my truck. I only chose Treadwrights because they're $100 cheaper per tire, and they're a small American company with great customer support and that's who I'd like to give my money instead of a big corporation. Just my choice, never heard of serious issues with KO2s.

Reactions: maxfederle89

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Def sounds like a one-off person unhappy about their individual experience. I'm planning on getting Treadwright Wardens (KO2 retreads), but I wouldn't blink twice at putting KO2s on my truck. I only chose Treadwrights because they're $100 cheaper per tire, and they're a small American company with great customer support and that's who I'd like to give my money instead of a big corporation. Just my choice, never heard of serious issues with KO2s.
We tried that model of treadwrights on a work truck. They looked good, but they seemed squirrelly to everyone at freeway speeds. This was a couple years ago, so maybe they're better now, but I'd see if anyone else has had this issue with the current models. Also, the tires had matching sidewalls, but were not bfg so you're not getting the sidewall strength that you get with bfg either, you get whatever they send you.

Reactions: geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

So my truck recently went into the mechanic on temp plates to get it registered and get everything clear. Tires is one of those things. My parents had to go pick up my dads truck from there this morning. And apparently the mechanic said the BFG all terrains are junk and shred halfway through their lifespan. I know many people that have used these tires for years, they love them and haven't had any issues with them. Has anyone here had any issues with them and are you satisfied with them? My parents picked something else out and I don't even know what they are. I'm not too happy about this whole situation at all and I really need some input.
The old ones would lose little chunks hear and there on the tread when wheeling hard in rocky terrain, the tires would work great and hold together but the tread would look chewed up. The new rubber compound they use doesn't seem to do this. I've been impressed with the latest set, they've handled some very sharp rocky terrain and show no chunking etc...

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

10K miles and still have little hairs on the tread blocks. Not too bad if you ask me. YMMV. They are heavy as all get out though. Takes an effort for my turbocharged 5-banger Wagon to get em
Moving ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

We tried that model of treadwrights on a work truck. They looked good, but they seemed squirrelly to everyone at freeway speeds. This was a couple years ago, so maybe they're better now, but I'd see if anyone else has had this issue with the current models. Also, the tires had matching sidewalls, but were not bfg so you're not getting the sidewall strength that you get with bfg either, you get whatever they send you.

Thanks for info!

Reactions: 000

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I call BS. We ran BFG KO2's on ourF150 for 4 years 2 sets and no issues with a mix of highway city and off road driving and farm work.
I even like them better than duratracs which I'm currently running on my Jeep. I'm actually putting a set of KO2's on my Jeep next month .....for what it is worth

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

My dad also had issues with the last batch of the older style bfgs on his F250. They were already starting to get the dry rot cracks after just a year with chunks of tread falling off.

The warden tires are good though. My buddy put a set on his renegade and didn't even need to balance them. He just peeled the old weights off, mounted the tires and drove it 85 mph.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I had a set on my TJ and my primary complaint was that they wore out very quickly. We had the same issue when they were mounted on my Dad's old 3/4 ton Silverado too. I did experience some "chunking" as mentioned above on rock terrain but I blamed that on myself for not airing down enough. Any AT tire would do that if they are run over rocks at street pressure.

They're good tires - saying that they are "junk" is woefully inaccurate. I say this as someone who doesn't buy into the BFG fanboy cult that appears to follow the KO2s.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Fun factoid, Treadwright started as a small company in the Hot Springs South Dakota area (Edgemont specifically). Family owned and run. I've known them forever. They eventually outgrew the little garage they had there and built a big facility north of Hot Springs to facilitate the growth. By that time I had bought my first pickup (95 Chevy Cheyenne 1500, loved that truck) and I put on a set of Wardens on it. Picked them up at their little factory. Had a tire guy say retreads will blow their tread and leave you stranded but he mounted them anyway. And I never had an issue with them. Ran them offroad and even took quite a few interstate trips when I was dating my wife. Drove the heck out of those tires and sold the Chevy with them on! By then I wanted another set for my new truck but the family had sold out to a big company and the operation was moved way down south last I knew. Prices have since gone up but they are still the most reasonably priced offroad tires I know of. Still see them on 4x4's here and there where I live. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to run a set of them again!!
So that's my story.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Nice story! When you say sold out to a big company, they're still a fraction of the size of BFG, and I understand they have phenomenal customer service. Multiple stories of issues being handled extremely well. I want to give them a shot. I've kind of always been an underdog kind of guy. Whether it's vehicles, camping/hiking/backpacking gear, computer related stuff, or otherwise, I love when someone boasts about their top of the line product but then my product handles everything theirs does perfectly but I paid a quarter of the price they did. One of the reasons I'm always checking thrift stores, Craigslist, and yard sales for great deals. ;)

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Nice story! When you say sold out to a big company, they're still a fraction of the size of BFG, and I understand they have phenomenal customer service. Multiple stories of issues being handled extremely well. I want to give them a shot. I've kind of always been an underdog kind of guy. Whether it's vehicles, camping/hiking/backpacking gear, computer related stuff, or otherwise, I love when someone boasts about their top of the line product but then my product handles everything theirs does perfectly but I paid a quarter of the price they did. One of the reasons I'm always checking thrift stores, Craigslist, and yard sales for great deals. ;)
Couldn't agree with you more! It's actually the reason I myself bought a WJ instead of a Wrangler. I look at them as the yardsale Jeep that most people don't think of.

And you're right. Treadwright is nowhere near as big as the other players and I'd love to buy a set of their tires again.

But on my WJ I'm going to run a set of JK takeoffs and I'll buy a set of stock Rubicon MT's from another friend, so I won't need tires for awhile [emoji2] Maybe I should nickname my WJ project yard sale haha!

But keeping with the OP, BFG makes a great tire, but there are awesome cheaper alternatives out there that perform just as good.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I have zero complaints with mine. I have a buddy I ride with who has them on his, and he is very happy. They've taken me everywhere I've asked them to go. I'm doing my part with watching the pressure and rotating them on schedule. I have no complaints with the wear.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

I’ve been running BFG KO2s 35’s for over a year now and I have only one wish; that they performed better in snow, they’re not bad, just wish they were better. I wouldn’t worry about it, haters gonna hate.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: LandPirate

Derek

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Potomac Falls, VA
Member #

KOs had many of the issues described. KO2s have over 25k on my 35s and no complaints, off road, on road, rocks, mild mud, snow, absolutely no issues and very quiet and perform well on the road. Plenty of tread left.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: LandPirate

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

I am currently running a set of LT285/70R17 KO2's on my 1998 Ford F-250 LD ( it's a beefed up F150 for those who don't know). They are about half way through their life span, and are showing tons of shredding, but only because of major abuse by me. I'm lazy when it comes to pounding the rugged Jeep trails, and I never deflate. My rears are sitting at 60 psi, and my fronts are at 45psi, which is definitely not optimal for what I put my truck and the tires through. I don't blame the tires one bit. They have been very decent, and have never left me stranded, even though I have put them through hell! Lots and lots of sharp jagged rocks with lots of wheel spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Geisterbild

Samuel Brown

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

highland indiana
Member #

So Ive had 2 vehicles that ive put KO2's on. And both times the back tires would wear in the center so bad that their would be a 1/2 of tread on the outside and be down to the steel belt in the center. i thought it was my driving habits or maybe my truck. I wouldnt put them on a pickup truck unless you keep 500 lbs in the bed. so what happens to these tires is that they need more weight on them in the back. hitting bumps and potholes here in the midwest, the wheels will bounce over these with an empty truck bed. thats where the tires show their weakness. the tires slip on these road hazards and destroy the tires

Sent from my SM-G935T using OB Talk mobile app