US Northwest Better late than never. IDBDR section 8 reconnaissance.

• HTML tutorial

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Signage says you cannot get into the national forest near Clark Fork, but I have heard that with a high clearance rig there is no problem getting through the washout area.
Join me in a Better late than never reconnaissance mission to get real data to post on the IDBDR site.

I'm planning lunch up near (appropriately) Lunch Peak and then back to Sandpoint.

If anyone want to spend the night at my place I have plenty of room for a few rigs. We can cook burgers on the grill and enjoy the evening under the stars.
I live only 10 minutes from Sandpoint High school.

If you can not do the trail ride but would like to spend the night, send me a msg and I can get you coordinates for the house.

We can meet at the Conoco Gas station in Ponderay. Ready to Roll at 10:00am.

Hope to see you there.

-Sandpoint Steve

View Rally Point

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Aaron filled me in. Ellis and I will be at Roman Nose CG Friday afternoon, then we're doing sections to Wallace. You are more than welcome to come up!

You wouldn't happen to know how long it takes from Roman Nose back to Sandpoint? We can try to run into you.I

I was going to try and fit in a stop at Laughing Dog tomorrow, dog friendly. We'll see how the drive up goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron Niemi

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Aww man, I wish this was a different weekend. I would love to be able to make this. Next time!

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
My GPS track shows about 2 hours from the top of Roman Nose to my house. I am about 15min from downtown Sandpoint.

Reactions: britz

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Aww man, I wish this was a different weekend. I would love to be able to make this. Next time!
Keep an eye on your email. Hopefully we will get some more trips planned soon.

-Sandpoint Steve

Reactions: reaver

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
My GPS track shows about 2 hours from the top of Roman Nose to my house. I am about 15min from downtown Sandpoint.
I'm pretty sure @Aaron Niemi is subscribed to this thread.

We've been pretty good at rolling out of camp early with Oak and his dawn patrol waking everyone up. If we don't meetup in Ponderay (don't want to hold up the cattle drive) we'll most likely hit you via the radio and catch up at Lunch Peak.

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
My guess you will be there alone. I have never a een anyone else camping.
If you are all up early, rie up the road to Cook lake and see if it is possible to drive the last 1/4 mile up to the lake. Inquiring minds want to know.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Keep an eye on your email. Hopefully we will get some more trips planned soon.

-Sandpoint Steve
I think I may have email notifications turned off? I'd be happy to give you my cell number though.

Also, define "high clearance".... Driving a stock 04 colorado z71 with full skids that I'm not afraid to use. Just saying

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I think I may have email notifications turned off? I'd be happy to give you my cell number though.

Also, define "high clearance".... Driving a stock 04 colorado z71 with full skids that I'm not afraid to use. Just saying
I think you'd be fine in that rig. It's Al up to interpretation when we are exploring.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Lol. I've already gotten it stuck once. I'm working on saving up to get a couple more inches of clearance.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I wish. With the wife being sick, there's no way I'd leave her with the kid by herself today. And the kid is a bit of a handful for me to deal with on my own on a trip like this.

I also just realized Sandpoint is in Northern Idaho, which is about an 8 hour drive from me, so I'd have had to leave yesterday anyways.

Last edited:

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
We just rolled in. Aside from a huge tree that MAYBE our 28" bar saw could take blocking the trail, causing a slight reroute, no problems to Wallace.

Thanks for setting up the trip Steve, and I really appreciate the tip on the lake! It was fantastic!

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve