Best way to secure a drawer system

• HTML tutorial

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

I'm getting pretty close to finishing the second iteration of the drawer system for the back of my 4th gen 4runner and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for securing them in the back.

I used turnbuckles for the last variant and they worked okay but would constantly regularly loosen and seemed to be prying up the mounted loops in my cargo area. At this point I was kind of thinking carriage bolts through the plastic OEM cargo shelf but I'm not certain that will hold through bumpy terrain, less any actual off-roading.

So I'm taking ideas and suggestions. I'll post some pics of what I've finished thus far to give people an idea of what I'm working with.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I'm getting pretty close to finishing the second iteration of the drawer system for the back of my 4th gen 4runner and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for securing them in the back.

I used turnbuckles for the last variant and they worked okay but would constantly regularly loosen and seemed to be prying up the mounted loops in my cargo area. At this point I was kind of thinking carriage bolts through the plastic OEM cargo shelf but I'm not certain that will hold through bumpy terrain, less any actual off-roading.

So I'm taking ideas and suggestions. I'll post some pics of what I've finished thus far to give people an idea of what I'm working with.
Before I reply to your specific request, it would be great to see the pics. I have a 5th gen and built a plywood platform for the cargo area which I extended into the back passenger seat a few area. This is my anchor platform for the added accessories...fridge, highlift jack, and miscellaneous anchor points.

Look forward to seeing picks

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@tstead60
Locktight could fix the turnbuckles loosening but they would still be in the way.

If you've not done so already checkout the free plans from @TheAdventureIndex ( https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/free-camping-overland-drawer-plans-4runner.11881/ ) His plans have a side piece with "ears" that interface with the D loops in the rear trays.
upload_2018-7-31_21-48-11.png

Based on his plans I removed the plastic cargo shelf following the Toyota Service Manual

upload_2018-7-31_21-37-0.png

With that out of the way I bought slightly longer bolts from the local Ace/TrueValue hardware store (Lowes and BORG did not stock this metric thread in my area). These 2 bolts and D-rings hold things down at the front.

I needed to make some mods to his design so the ears did not work with my setup. My current thoughts are to pick up a 1/8" x 1" x 51 1/2" Steel bar. Run it under the drawer system and attach it with a few machine screws into T-Nuts or Inserts. Remove the little trays, install the drawers, then reinstall the trays with the D-ring Bolts going through holes in the bar mounting it and the drawers securely to the car. Should be nearly invisible once installed. Another option is to use 2 large enough L-brackets that could do the same thing mounting to the sides of the drawer system.

Boort

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
As pointed out above the Adventure Index drawers designed for the 4th gen 4Runner mount to some factory bolt holes behind the rear seats and "tensioned straps" are used to mount to the tie downs near the hatch. Unfortunately I haven't uploaded a picture of how the wings are held down, but essentially there is a cutout in the wing which the tie down loop fits through. A piece of steel with a threaded hole in one end goes through the tie down on top of the wood, and a bolt is threaded into the hole and tightened so the piece of steel is under tension and holds everything down.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reactions: Boort

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

This has all been really helpful. I was a little late to do the ears but the rear bolt thing was so obvious and seems to work so well I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of it.

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

Progress so far. Just some finishing touches left along with figuring out the best way to secure the rear. Then install paddle latches, carpet and paint and we're there.

Going camping in big Bear this weekend, fires permitting, so hopefully we'll take it down some forest roads, see how she stands up.20180807_222807.jpeg