Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

The title pretty much says it all…everyone seems to have their favorites, but what’s a good “beginner” one? Especially if you aren’t planning a ton of group outings, it still want something “just in case?”

Thanks,

J

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Mobile or handheld?

If you're looking for a handheld I wouldn't even consider Midland since none of their handhelds offer repeater capability, and that may be something that you find useful in the future and want to use. For mobile I"m still not a huge Midland fan they are kind of feature poor and while they're one of the most plug and play brands on the market (their repeater usage/setup can be kind of confusing at first) they are kind of costly for what you get when you look at other brands.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Im looking for something that I can permanently mount in the rig.

If not Midland, any thought on other brands?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We currently have two Midland mobile GMRS radios in use, our Grand Cherokee has limited space so we went with the MXT275 which mounts the radio tucked away somewhere and all the controls and display are in the mic. its big limitation is that it is only 15 watts so limits the reach a little bit, but most of the time not noticeable as you are usually communicating from rig to rig. The other radio is the MXT500 a 50 watt conventional radio. For what we do with them (trail/convoy communication) they both serve their purpose well. We use HAM for our primary and long range comms.

Reactions: Uberland

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Radioddity GM-30 is a great starter for mobile. $38 and it has repeater channels in addition to the 22 GMRS channels. Also has programmable channels to save. Got a little nifty flashlight too. Lol. The only issue I see is that it’s a fixed antenna but you can still modify it. There’s an allen set screw that allows you to remove it. Comes with a little headset, belt clip, and wrist strap. For the price, it’s the perfect starter GMRS. USBC charger.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Im looking for something that I can permanently mount in the rig.
I have two of the midland mobile's. They work great. Small size and easy to fit. One of the guys in my group has the version where all the controls are in the mic. His radio is hidden behind the dash. Mine are the standard 50 watt (dont remember any of the numbers).

Reactions: Uberland

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you are willing to dish out the money for a 50 watt Midland mobile look at the Wouxon KG1000g. It's a more capable radio.
Midland radios are fine especially if you are only using it for simplex (radio to radio) vehicle to vehicle comms.

Reactions: Downs and Uberland

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My Midland can access repeaters.
Most of their mobiles except for the 5 watt mobile can. None of the handhelds can. The Midlands get the job done but there are tons of others out there now flooding the market that are more feature rich.

Wouxun
Btech
Retevis

I'd personally steer clear of Rugged Radios, they way overprice their rebadged radios and the company is shady IMO.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've got the HAM versions of the following radios. Both work great and the 25 watt model is pretty compact.

QYT GS800G GMRS Mobile Radio GMRS Channels 8 Repeater Dual Band Receiver Walkie Talkie Long Range Two-Way Radios with NOAA Weather

nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Making a christmas list so I'm looking into this same question. I currently have a CB in my rig with a big antenna. Wouldn't mind switching over to GMRS but I don't do much with other people anyways so cheap is good!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch