Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Friends,

Forgive me if this has already been covered. I'm looking for best practices in dealing with a wet RTT when you need to continue your journey. I get it that the best practice is to get the tent open again and dry it completely ASAP. I'm just wondering about real world experience with this. I have not yet had to deal with this yet, except on a couple of back packing trips with horrendous wet weather. No fun.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

When I had my RTT I got it soaked a bunch. If I knew I couldnt let it air out, I would just try and wipe it down the best I could before stashing it. You definitely want to dry it soon though. I sprayed mold killer on mine a couple times before putting it away. I dont know if it helped or not. I can tell you it smelled like chemicals when I opened it back up. Maybe there is a less stinky/ organic solution?

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

When I had my RTT I got it soaked a bunch. If I knew I couldnt let it air out, I would just try and wipe it down the best I could before stashing it. You definitely want to dry it soon though. I sprayed mold killer on mine a couple times before putting it away. I dont know if it helped or not. I can tell you it smelled like chemicals when I opened it back up. Maybe there is a less stinky/ organic solution?
Fortunately, I live in the SW US, with low humidity and rare rain. It does rain in the afternoon in the Sierra a lot of the time, but the tent should be dry by the morning. It must be a real challenge living in the NW US, where it rains ALOT!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I use to just open mine up occasionally and air it out. I was more concerned with my bedding and mattress. If I was stuck with a long rain storm, It would be aired out as soon as it was clear with the mattress pulled.

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Fortunately, I live in the SW US, with low humidity and rare rain. It does rain in the afternoon in the Sierra a lot of the time, but the tent should be dry by the morning. It must be a real challenge living in the NW US, where it rains ALOT!
Yes, yes it is!

Reactions: Todd S.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
Been camping with my RTT for quite a while now. Even when it gets really humid and can rain a lot. If it's raining when we need to close it, I do my best to use a towel to try and dry some of the excess rain. Close it even when wet. Then the moment I get to a dry area where it isn't raining, i open it up, let it dry, and also use a towel to try the areas where I know some water may be trapped. If you're wondering how long it can take for me to dry it, it's been over 3 days until I can fully dry it. Not ideal, I know, but I've never had any issues, at least not up to date and I've had it for a bit over 3 years. This is the roof top tent I own.

Reactions: Shahn