Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Graeman

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7CRJ
These things get hot after running a while (I'm sure they all do). Heat rises, and normally when using this thing the lid is open so heat can escape. I don't know if overheating would be an issue if you were running it with the can on its side. That would be my concern.

I could see storing it on its side, but then taking it down and putting it on the ground when needed.
The can looks large enough to mount a small 12v computer fan to the side of the ammo can and wire it in to the compressor switch. That way it will blow cool air over the compressor while it runs.

CavGeek

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
I like my Viair 400P Automatic. Airs up my 33s quickly and the automatic shutoff function helps keep it cooler when moving from tire to tire. I don't like the bag though and am thinking about hard mounting it inside a hard case if I can find one that will accommodate the compressor, hose, and inflator.
I just got a 400P Auto as well, did you ever find a good container for it? just curious as I'm not a huge fan of the Meltable Nylon bag either, I'd rather be able to put it away quickly after use.

MSD

Rank III
Adventure

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I like my Viair 400P Automatic. Airs up my 33s quickly and the automatic shutoff function helps keep it cooler when moving from tire to tire. I don't like the bag though and am thinking about hard mounting it inside a hard case if I can find one that will accommodate the compressor, hose, and inflator.
I just got a 400P Auto as well, did you ever find a good container for it? just curious as I'm not a huge fan of the Meltable Nylon bag either, I'd rather be able to put it away quickly after use.
I have the Viair 440p & use it on my Jeep with 37s & it works great. I also use it on both my vans that I run 35s on… can’t really tell the difference when I need to air back up between tire sizes, maybe 1 to 2mins max. Guess I need to time it with my watch the next time out. After seeing the ammo box set up I may consider going away from the bag. But so far the canvas bad has worked fine.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Desert Runner

Rank VI

Member III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
If the 400 model has the same dimensions as the 88P model, then use a surplus 400 round ammo can. This is what I use, and it has room for the 6 foot extension hose and some small accessories. Water proof and offers good protection to the unit.

yeos

Rank III

Member III

Moses Lake
First Name
Torn
Last Name
Saelee
Member #

I have not found a better container yet. I don't mind a soft bag, but would prefer one less flimsy and more durable.