Best GPS | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Best GPS

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

ALBlair17

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Blair
Hey All,

I’m looking at a mounted GPS for inside the truck. Stuck between the Garmin Overlander and the Garmin Zumo XT. Does anyone have experience with either one of these GPS devices? Or have suggestions for any others? Not completely sold on these two they’ve just been the most common I’ve seen.

Reactions: enjoitheride

Mtnmn99

Rank IV
Adventure

Contributor II

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Depending on if you want a communications device as well. If you do I would look at the Garmin 700I series. I use a Garmin 66I with an Overlander. I love my setup, but the 700I was not available. I came from using a Garmin 650 Montero. If given the choice again I would have chosen the 700I because of costs.

Happy to answer any questions.

Frdmskr

Rank I
Adventure

Member I

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Hey All,

I’m looking at a mounted GPS for inside the truck. Stuck between the Garmin Overlander and the Garmin Zumo XT. Does anyone have experience with either one of these GPS devices? Or have suggestions for any others? Not completely sold on these two they’ve just been the most common I’ve seen.
Guess I am Curious why you aren’t considering using your phone or an old tablet. With Gaia GPS or a similar software package on a phone or tablet with a GPS chip you can chug along nicely. No cell service needed other than when you download maps.

If you have an old tablet that does not have a GPS chip then the Garmin InReach or any of the Bad Elf products gets you a BT gps that works fine.

Just options to minimize cost and maximize use of things you may already have,

Good luck!

Alanymarce

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colombia
What do you want to use it for?

We have a Garmin GPSmap 64, and previously had (still have) a Colorado 300. We use them to know where we are (as in - 11 km further to reach the river, if there are no more fallen trees across the track) and not for navigation, we load appropriate maps (T4A, etc.). For navigation we use the iPhone (if there's a signal), maps.me (if there isn't), pdf maps on the iPad (ITMB usually), paper maps (in places like game parks), and ask the way from locals when appropriate.

Cypress

Rank IV
Adventure

Member III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Onroad, I use a 7" Garmin and keep it up to date.

Offroad I use an 8" Samsung tablet and GAIA.

That gives me a little bit of redundancy and GAIA maps are top-notch and sync across all my platforms. I can do my planning on the desktop and it automatically syncs to my phone and tablet.

NotGumby

Mid Europe Member Rep

Member III

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Gumby
Member #

Service Branch
Army 11B
I used a Garmin Oregon 450 for many years for off road and hiking. I ditched it a few years ago and now use Maps.me and google maps. If I need to plan longer routes, I’ll import free OSM maps into Garmin’s basecamp, plot the routes, export the route in KML and import into Maps.me.

It’s all free.

dweezil

Rank 0

Contributor I

Meadview, AZ, USA
First Name
james
Last Name
stoops
forgive me if this is a duplicate response; it is possible to side-load the gaia gps apk on an overlander device, i think it's the best of both worlds.
the overlander device is quite robust, the gaia gps software is excellent.
it is very simple to install the gaia gps apk on the overlander.
you can then select which software you wish to use (you can run; drive, explore, or gaia, but only one at a time)
the overlander uses the "android" operating system, google "android side-loading" to learn how to do it.
gaia offers the apk for downloading on their website.
i use the overlander off-roading on a side-by-side, the overlander device is robust enuff to resist water, dust and vibration, better than most tablets, etc.

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey All,

I’ve been running the Overlander for some time now. Switched from using an iPad mini and Gaia. I really like the Overlander. I’ve used it on some big trips so far, and it hasn’t let me down. The ease of use, coupled with the built in features, make it a nice all in one device.