Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
Hey Guys!

So just for a heads up. I am one of not so many that will refuse to get a overland trailer because I love to see cleaver ideas on how to make the most space out of just a little.
My rig is a 1998 Jeep wrangler sport (Snatch Block), she's my pride and joy! I love her compactness because it forces me to make organization in such a small space! upon a bunch of research in trying to build a rear pull-out drawer system (dont have the money to purchase one) I have found that it is easier to purchase Pelican type cases with customizable foam. Now, I know what your thinking. (he cant purchase a drawer system but he can get pelican cases?!?!?). No. I have found that our lord and savior HARBOR FRIEGHT! Has the knock-off for you! Behold! The Apache Case. I purchased a small one a couple of months back to use as my pistol case... that got me thinking... what if i could use this as a way to organize all of my gear... including, kitchen, recovery, camp supplies, tools, parts..ect. the cases are just as durable as a pelican case, only half the price! Check it out!

Attachments

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I really like these cases. I have one for camera gear, RC cars, and a couple waiting for uses. Be warned though, It cost more to buy the foam inserts than it does to by the hole box...which is why I have 2 waiting for projects...lol

Reactions: Burly

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
They look nice. The 4800 was on sale the other day for $49, which is a screaming deal. I just don't see the right sizes you would need to make this happen. The rifle case is nice and long but it is not very deep. The 5800 is getting there but you would need like 4-6 of them to get the capacity you would need. There goes your savings and I think it would be cumbersome with all the latches and whatnot, just my opinion. I like where you're head is and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The Pelican style cases are fantastic at protecting something valuable; firearm, drone, can of spam, etc. However, they have a lot of wasted space and are pretty heavy. Does your kitchen gear really need to be locked in a bombproof case?

I have been using the 22" Ridgid toolbox and organizer from Home Depot for a few years. Not only is it cheaper than the knock-off Pelican cases, but its slightly larger and squared off for more efficient packing. They also keep out dust and water. The boxes stack and clip together for super easy stowing in your rig.
1650037031831.png

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have been using the 22" Ridgid toolbox and organizer from Home Depot for a few years. Not only is it cheaper than the knock-off Pelican cases, but its slightly larger and squared off for more efficient packing. They also keep out dust and water. The boxes stack and clip together for super easy stowing in your rig.
We used amazon fresh delivery a few times years ago; they leave the bins with you until picking them up at the next delivery. So I have a bunch of those “last delivery“ bins dedicated to camp gear and tools. ”Free” bins! Woot!

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
We used amazon fresh delivery a few times years ago; they leave the bins with you until picking them up at the next delivery. So I have a bunch of those “last delivery“ bins dedicated to camp gear and tools. ”Free” bins! Woot!
Amazon Fresh isn't available in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Can you share a picture of the bins? I am curious to know what they are!

Reactions: Burly and OcoeeG

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Amazon Fresh isn't available in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Can you share a picture of the bins? I am curious to know what they are!
Best pic I could find (on vacation); it’s the blue bin under other bins. Standard size bin with half lid permanently attached on either side. Let me know if you would like measurements or more pics.

Comparable to this: HDX 12 Gal. Flip-Top Tote (Colors Vary by Store) 211512

1650039025034.jpeg

From the webz
1650039377032.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The Pelican style cases are fantastic at protecting something valuable; firearm, drone, can of spam, etc. However, they have a lot of wasted space and are pretty heavy. Does your kitchen gear really need to be locked in a bombproof case?
Those Overland Spices are precious donchaknow!

jeepfreakedc

Rank IV

Traveler III

Woodstock, Georgia, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Tree
Member #

I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. These look like they’d work perfectly.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. These look like they’d work perfectly.

Those look nice, thanks for pointing them out!

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The "HDX Totes" are junk compared to the 'real' ones : Gray Akro-Mils® Attached Lid Container - 21-1/2" L x 15" W x 9" Hgt. OD | U.S. Plastic Corp.
That Amazon one looks closer to the good ones. I examined the Apache cases at HF. They are very good for the price, but with frequent use, the latches will eventually wear out and stop latching. Then again, I've seen extremely heavily used Pelican latches that wear out and fail.
I don't own any HDX bins, provided the link as a reference for a user asking what my "free" Amazon Fresh bins were all about. I don't prefer bins of this style but free is free. Why are they junk? Thanks!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

View attachment 228005
I have the one on the far left and the one on the far right for my kitchen stuff. I put spices and stuff in the smaller case and my plates and nesting pots and pans in the bigger one.

jeepfreakedc

Rank IV

Traveler III

Woodstock, Georgia, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Tree
Member #

Reactions: Ubiety