benefits of using a xgp160 skypro linked to a i-pad vs GPS on iphone.

• HTML tutorial

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
I have seen several examples where people are getting a GPS unit like a XGP 1600 skypro and linking it via blue tooth to a tablet for navigation with an app like gaia. Great, looks awesome! However, my question is; is this gps receiver going to receive a signal where my phone won't? I have not tried putting the Gaia app on my phone but I assume in remote places I would lose GPS signal (maybe not). If the GPS signal is just as strong on my phone as if I got an external unit, then in my mind the only real benefit is having a big screen and a electronic device dedicated to the sole purpose of navigation. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I have a portable Garmin GLO 2 GPS receiver to provide GPS to my iPad 2. It works really well, anywhere. Plus, it gets a signal from several different GPS systems.

I am not 100% sure the iPad gets GPS data from the phone when connected via hotspot, which is why I got the GLO2. I prefer the iPad screen for mapping/planning - that leaves the phone free for communications or taking pictures.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you have not already purchased an iPad then get the cellular enabled version as it includes a GPS so no need for external GPS (assuming that you are going with Apple products). I cannot speak for Android products.

is this gps receiver going to receive a signal where my phone won't?
Probably not but there are many variables. The ability to place the bluetooth GPS in a more favorable location to receive GPS signals might make a difference. I have never had an issue with either my iPhone or iPad receiving GPS signals in either a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator (which have fiberglass tops that GPS signals can pass through more easily than steel) or steel roofed cars that I have owned. If you go with an external bluetooth GPS then you will have an extra set of batteries to manage.

but I assume in remote places I would lose GPS signal
That is not correct; GPS signals cover the globe and come from space. They are relatively weak and are absorbed by water so the issue that you could run into is being in heavy rain or under a dense canopy of tree leaves. If you are in a deep canyon you may not have a view to enough GPS satellites to get location but that would affect a phone or a tablet or a bluetooth GPS equally.

The main benefit to using a tablet is the larger screen; I don't use a phone to navigate unless it is tethered to a larger screen via CarPlay (or Android equivalent). IMO getting a larger "picture" afforded by the iPad's larger screen is worth its weight in gold. Also, if you have both a phone and a tablet you will have a backup in case one dies.

Documentation from the internet states that Apple products built in GPS modules (cellular enabled only) can utilize GPS (American), GLONASS (Russian) and Beidou (Chinese).

Reactions: cgranier

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
thank you for your response. I wasn't sugesting the tablet get its GPS info from the phone. The phone has its own internal GPS and I know gaia maps app can run on the iphone using the internal GPS info gathered on the phone itself. My primary question is; does a separate/ dedicated GPS receiver work better that the GPS receiver in my phone. Will it work in several places that are remote. both the receiver in my phone and the external unit (xgp 1600 sky pro) are both RECEIVERS. They receive a signal, not send anything out. I will check out your Garmin GLO2 but I would still like to know how the quality of GPS changes from GPS in a cell vs a GPS unit that its sole purpose is to receive the GPS signal and transmit it to a tablet. Thank you.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Also, if you do decide upon getting an external bluetooth GPS I recommend something like the Garmin InReach. It is allows two way communication via satellites as well as being a bluetooth GPS that will work with your tablet. If you go to remote places with no cell service having satcom can literally be a life saver.

does a separate/ dedicated GPS receiver work better that the GPS receiver in my phone
Maybe, maybe not. Too many variables and not enough information to provide a valid answer. If you want to buy me an external GPS I'll do some testing for you and let you know ;)

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
If you have not already purchased an iPad then get the cellular enabled version as it includes a GPS so no need for external GPS (assuming that you are going with Apple products). I cannot speak for Android products.

is this gps receiver going to receive a signal where my phone won't?
Probably not but there are many variables. The ability to place the bluetooth GPS in a more favorable location to receive GPS signals might make a difference. I have never had an issue with either my iPhone or iPad receiving GPS signals in either a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator (which have fiberglass tops that GPS signals can pass through more easily than steel) or steel roofed cars that I have owned. If you go with an external bluetooth GPS then you will have an extra set of batteries to manage.

but I assume in remote places I would lose GPS signal
That is not correct; GPS signals cover the globe and come from space. They are relatively weak and are absorbed by water so the issue that you could run into is being in heavy rain or under a dense canopy of tree leaves. If you are in a deep canyon you may not have a view to enough GPS satellites to get location but that would affect a phone or a tablet or a bluetooth GPS equally.

The main benefit to using a tablet is the larger screen; I don't use a phone to navigate unless it is tethered to a larger screen via CarPlay (or Android equivalent). IMO getting a larger "picture" afforded by the iPad's larger screen is worth its weight in gold. Also, if you have both a phone and a tablet you will have a backup in case one dies.

Documentation from the internet states that Apple products built in GPS modules (cellular enabled only) can utilize GPS (American), GLONASS (Russian) and Beidou (Chinese).
Thank you "Ubiety". that was super helpful. Exactly the info I was looking for. I wondered about the GPS signal and it being world wide. What you said supported my suspicions. I have a I-pad without a GPS and it is cheaper to buy a GPS receiver and connect it to the ipad rather than buy a new ipad with GPS. Anyway, thank you for your response. happy trails.

Reactions: Ubiety

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
FYI: I posted almost the exact same question on a FB page and a gentleman brought up a good point. He said most phones don't connect directly with the satellites but instead get their GPS information from cell towers. Any truth to this? I would assume they connect directly with satellites.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
A phone's location can be triangulated by its connections to cell towers but that is nowhere as accurate as GPS. If you go remote you may not have cell towers to connect to or only one cell tower to connect to making any location information very inaccurate. GPS is the way to go and take a look at the InReach like products that also provide satcom capability; they do require some sort of subscription plan to send/receive data but that will seem small if you really need to get help or exchange salad dressing recipes in the far out places ;)

most phones don't connect directly with the satellites but instead get their GPS information from cell towers.
This is (mostly) not true for iPhones. The iPhone will sample different sources of position data and provide what it considers the best location data to apps running on the phone (or cellular/GPS capable iPad). So it can be a bit of a mystery to know exactly what physical network that the location data is coming from but his statement is incorrect in that (at least iPhones) do utilize GPS satellites. As you pointed out above GPS is one way (receive only) so using the term "connect" is a misnomer as connect implies a two way connection (sending and receiving).

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
Thank you again Ubiety, for your ongoing communication and clarification. I don't know that too many others gets caught up in these kind of details. but if I am going to spend several hundred dollars I want to do some research and try to make informed purchases. For me, this has been most helpful.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thank you again Ubiety, for your ongoing communication and clarification. I don't know that too many others gets caught up in these kind of details. but if I am going to spend several hundred dollars I want to do some research and try to make informed purchases. For me, this has been most helpful.
You are welcome! I am glad that I was able to help!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
thank you for your response. I wasn't sugesting the tablet get its GPS info from the phone. The phone has its own internal GPS and I know gaia maps app can run on the iphone using the internal GPS info gathered on the phone itself. My primary question is; does a separate/ dedicated GPS receiver work better that the GPS receiver in my phone. Will it work in several places that are remote. both the receiver in my phone and the external unit (xgp 1600 sky pro) are both RECEIVERS. They receive a signal, not send anything out. I will check out your Garmin GLO2 but I would still like to know how the quality of GPS changes from GPS in a cell vs a GPS unit that its sole purpose is to receive the GPS signal and transmit it to a tablet. Thank you.
To answer your primary question, it depends on two things, the GPS receiver in your phone and the external GPS receiver. I was playing around with telemetry in RC Aircraft a few years back and made a huge discovery for myself… most GPS devices use the same receiver… the. GPS receiver in my 2010 Samsung Galaxy Tab was the same receiver used in my iPhone XR. The difference between the two was only firmware. Looking at the raw data, both had exactly the same information. So like @Ubiety is saying the only advantage of a separate GPS receiver is being able to mount the antenna outside the faraday cage (your vehicle).

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
Thanks for the additional info M rose. This thread has taught me a lot. at this time my plan is to get a Ipad mini with internal GPS and have paper maps as back up. Long term as money allows I would like to get a garmin mini inreach but for now it will be the ipad mini. Thank you all for a good discussion. :grinning:

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the additional info M rose. This thread has taught me a lot. at this time my plan is to get a Ipad mini with internal GPS and have paper maps as back up. Long term as money allows I would like to get a garmin mini inreach but for now it will be the ipad mini. Thank you all for a good discussion. :grinning:
Make sure you get one that has/had cell service as iPads w/out cell service don’t include the GPS chip

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I have a portable Garmin GLO 2 GPS receiver to provide GPS to my iPad 2. It works really well, anywhere. Plus, it gets a signal from several different GPS systems.

I am not 100% sure the iPad gets GPS data from the phone when connected via hotspot, which is why I got the GLO2. I prefer the iPad screen for mapping/planning - that leaves the phone free for communications or taking pictures.
It does not.

dksucharda

Rank I

Contributor III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Sucharda
Make sure you get one that has/had cell service as iPads w/out cell service don’t include the GPS chip
I was aware of that and planning on getting the one with built in GPS/cellular service. However, your comment brought up another point I HADN'T thought of. Will I be able to use the GPS feature on a platform such as GAIA without having a monthly contract with a cell phone. I don't think I need in 3G, 4G internet access on my Ipad.I realize I could have it but for what I am using it for in this context, I don't see where I would have to have it. I will still have my cell phone. but do I have to pay a cell carrier a monthly fee for the GPS to function when I am roaming the mountains? I wouldn't think so but after your comment I thought it was worth clarifying. Thanks.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I was aware of that and planning on getting the one with built in GPS/cellular service. However, your comment brought up another point I HADN'T thought of. Will I be able to use the GPS feature on a platform such as GAIA without having a monthly contract with a cell phone. I don't think I need in 3G, 4G internet access on my Ipad.I realize I could have it but for what I am using it for in this context, I don't see where I would have to have it. I will still have my cell phone. but do I have to pay a cell carrier a monthly fee for the GPS to function when I am roaming the mountains? I wouldn't think so but after your comment I thought it was worth clarifying. Thanks.
The iPad GPS will work without a data plan; that is how I use mine (no data plan). Since I already carry an iPhone, which is cellular enabled, I cannot see a reason to pay extra for an iPad data plan.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The iPad GPS will work without a data plan; that is how I use mine (no data plan). Since I already carry an iPhone, which is cellular enabled, I cannot see a reason to pay extra for an iPad data plan.
This is how I use mine as well. No hotspot, and no cell service.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Barefoot
Member #

I've used a dashboard mounted iPhone Xr (running Gaia) plus a Garmin Montana 700i side-by-side in the backcountry. Each shows me to be at what appears to be the exact same place on the maps. Except one time...the iPhone/Gaia had what probably a software glitch/failure for about 18 hours showing me about 20 miles away from where I know I was. Then it corrected itself and has been fine since.