Beginner 4WD trails around Los Angeles

• HTML tutorial

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

My daughter and I are looking for some light wheeling/overlanding type trails within about an hour or so of Los Angeles/WLA

We are up for buying an annual Adventure Pass if needed, but I notice areas like Gorman (SVRA) have a different pass, a $50 per year Wilderness Pass, or $5 day fee.

Looking to get out this New Year's weekend, and also down to meet up with other members, but to be transparent, we are only 2WD locked and pretty much novices.

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice or suggestions!

Reactions: imurill0

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

Met a fellow T4R.org member at Hungry Valley SRVA for some family friendly wheeling today.

My Aussie locked 2WD did pretty well, my Hankook DynaPros may have let me down in a few spots.

Good times

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hungry Valley is a good place to start out to get the feel of what your truck can do.

Head to Big Bear in the Spring, run the trail from Pioneer Town to Big Bear, maybe go down to Coyote Flats the back way.
Go up to Holcomb Valley, there's a lot of fun stuff up that way.

You could really do the Mojave Road with a 2wd rig but I would have a 2nd vehicle with you in case of other troubles.

There's lots of stuff around you can do, but have some recovery plan, especially if you go alone.

Nice looking 'Runner by the way!

Dan.

Reactions: octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

Hungry Valley is a good place to start out to get the feel of what your truck can do.

Head to Big Bear in the Spring, run the trail from Pioneer Town to Big Bear, maybe go down to Coyote Flats the back way.
Go up to Holcomb Valley, there's a lot of fun stuff up that way.

You could really do the Mojave Road with a 2wd rig but I would have a 2nd vehicle with you in case of other troubles.

There's lots of stuff around you can do, but have some recovery plan, especially if you go alone.

Nice looking 'Runner by the way!

Dan.
I've been up to Arrowhead a few times and have done Willow Springs Jeep Trail as well as Pilot Rock Truck Trail, next time, Cleghorn, or a route of Pilot Rock to Cleghorn, and eventually Holocomb

I am planning wheeling and camping in Alabama Hills the weekend of May 19th

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

look into san sevine flats east of baldy. you can get there from lytle creek. I think the road number is 1n34. you can go from lytle creek to sapphire but knowing the forest circus, its probably closed. pretty neat area at the joe Elliot tree (big tree), at least it used to be. I havnt drove that road in over 20 years... 34.201798, -117.448831

Reactions: octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

look into san sevine flats east of baldy. you can get there from lytle creek. I think the road number is 1n34. you can go from lytle creek to sapphire but knowing the forest circus, its probably closed. pretty neat area at the joe Elliot tree (big tree), at least it used to be. I havnt drove that road in over 20 years... 34.201798, -117.448831
Awesome, I will research those, thanks!

csilv

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Ana, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Silverberg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6IOS
Look into the Bee Canyon trail that starts in Hemet and finishes around Idlywild. That was actually the first trail I ever did... it was a little bit challenging for my (at the time) unlifted Jeep Renegade, but your rig should handle it with easily. Very nice scenic drive.