Bed Rack vs. Cap (ARE style, or similar)

• HTML tutorial

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
Hi all,

I'm sorta new to the whole forum thing. I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but have never really participated in one before. So, if this is in the wrong spot, or there is already a thread (didn't see one), please let me know.

Also, I am new to overlanding. I have done a decent amount of wheeling in the past, but never mixed camping with it. Don't know what was wrong with me.

I bought a 2019 Ford F150 Sport 4X4 Crew Cab with 5.5' bed. This truck is also my daily driver (this may be the difference?). I'm looking into modding this into an overlanding rig and have most of what I want to do in mind. RTT, bumpers, winches, lift, suspension, wheels and tires, fridge, battery systems etc. But, I have a problem understanding the popular direction that I'm trying to figure out regarding the bed setup and I'm hoping you guys can help me understand. I see that a vast majority of the truck builds on this forum, YouTube and other places go with a bed rack with the RTT on that.

Let me say this, I know that if I did a bed rack, I would get a full height one vs the shorter ones that let you keep the RTT in line with the roof of the cab. The reason for this is I want to do a 270 degree awning and a half height one would not be tall enough. Also, if I could afford it, I would go with a custom canopy setup, like a PCOR setup. With that being said, why is the bed rack a much more popular choice with you overlanders?

To me, it seems much more practical to have a (relatively) weather sealed and lockable bed space to place the fridge, kitchen, batteries, gear etc rather than all of that being exposed to the elements and to prying eyes. Also, when you're not out on the trails and take stuff out/off, I think the cap would look better. I know that part is completely subjective.

Are caps not meant to support the weight of a RTT? Are they really impractical once out on the trail and at the camp site? Are there other reasons I'm not even thinking of?

I'm hoping to get a meaningful discussion here, as I really don't know. All input is welcome and appreciated. I will be active and responding in the Easter PM as I am not able to login during working hours. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Biggest downfalls of the cap... you can’t mount stuff to the side of it, hard to get to stuff towards the cab (think loading and unloading). Also depending upon cap, bust most only support up to 250 lbs, some up to 500, and only a couple over 1000lbs.
biggest downfalls of the bed rack... looks, like you mentioned no security for stuff inside the bed, the good ones are just as expensive as a cap (even more so if you get a hard cover)
the hybrid is my favorite option... get a cap, and build a rack system I have seen some awesome caps that the sides open up to allow access to the inside of the truck cap, swing open door in the rear making entry to the back of the bed more convenient. Hard for me to word exactly I have envisioned, but here in the next few months I am going to be building a hybrid rack for my Bronco.

Reactions: MazeVX

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
Biggest downfalls of the cap... you can’t mount stuff to the side of it, hard to get to stuff towards the cab (think loading and unloading). Also depending upon cap, bust most only support up to 250 lbs, some up to 500, and only a couple over 1000lbs.
biggest downfalls of the bed rack... looks, like you mentioned no security for stuff inside the bed, the good ones are just as expensive as a cap (even more so if you get a hard cover)
the hybrid is my favorite option... get a cap, and build a rack system I have seen some awesome caps that the sides open up to allow access to the inside of the truck cap, swing open door in the rear making entry to the back of the bed more convenient. Hard for me to word exactly I have envisioned, but here in the next few months I am going to be building a hybrid rack for my Bronco.
So a hybrid system would be a bed rack built under a cap?

Also, I have had in the past, a cap where the sides open for access to the bed if the back was blocked. That is what I would get again. Basically, the side glass that is most of that side panel opens up for access.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So a hybrid system would be a bed rack built under a cap?

Also, I have had in the past, a cap where the sides open for access to the bed if the back was blocked. That is what I would get again. Basically, the side glass that is most of that side panel opens up for access.
kind of... The mount for the rack would be sandwiched between the bed rails of the truck and the mounting surface of the cap. Support for the rack would extend up on the exterior of the rack leaving a 1/2 to 1” gap along the whole cap to allow the cap to be removed without removing the rack.

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
kind of... The mount for the rack would be sandwiched between the bed rails of the truck and the mounting surface of the cap. Support for the rack would extend up on the exterior of the rack leaving a 1/2 to 1” gap along the whole cap to allow the cap to be removed without removing the rack.
Oh, I see. You said you'd be building one. Do companies make such a thing? I'm not very handy, nor do I have a lot of tools.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Oh, I see. You said you'd be building one. Do companies make such a thing? I'm not very handy, nor do I have a lot of tools.
I’m not sure if they are commercially available, look for “ ladder racks”. Modify a ladder rack by drilling holes and adding bracers.

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
I’m not sure if they are commercially available, look for “ ladder racks”. Modify a ladder rack by drilling holes and adding bracers.
So, something like this? 1500 Lbs Capacity Universal Over Cab Truck Rack

And then you would drill holes in the top of the cap for the uprights to go through?

I kept looking and found this one as well. 19601 Paramount Workforce Ladder Rack For Use With Truck Caps

It doesn't support as much weight, but I think 1000lbs should be enough.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Alucab makes canopies for the truckbed that checks all the boxes, can carry a tent, access from the side etc...
Just need to find out if they work with your truck.

Reactions: AnthonyD1978

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Alucab makes canopies for the truckbed that checks all the boxes, can carry a tent, access from the side etc...
Wow spendy at 3 to 10k

and only available for mid size

Power Wagon Mitch

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Washington County, Utah, United States
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Elwood
Member #

Hey,

I went through the same thought process!
I had concerns for security and keeping gear clean in the bed. I also wanted a frame system that could support a RTT or heavier gear.

I decided to go with the ARE MX HD canopy

I have the Decked system too so I went with a taller MX style canopy for accessibility. The HD frame system allows for internal mounting of overlanding gear that can be accessed from the side panels. Yes, I went with lockable panels instead of windows on the sides and rear.

The canopy doubles as a place to sleep if I’m traveling light too!

Reactions: AnthonyD1978

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
I like those, but if I was going to spend that much money, I would get an entire tray and canopy setup.

Thanks for the link though!

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
Hey,

I went through the same thought process!
I had concerns for security and keeping gear clean in the bed. I also wanted a frame system that could support a RTT or heavier gear.

I decided to go with the ARE MX HD canopy

I have the Decked system too so I went with a taller MX style canopy for accessibility. The HD frame system allows for internal mounting of overlanding gear that can be accessed from the side panels. Yes, I went with lockable panels instead of windows on the sides and rear.

The canopy doubles as a place to sleep if I’m traveling light too!
Do you have any photos of your setup?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a Snug Shell with a custom rack over the top. I use it to haul toys not a RTT. The link with the shell is what you want and add some crossmembers for the RTT. Make surer rack where it attaches to the bed is full lenth of the bed, better distribution of weight. Having the shell windows open would be nice. You might want to modify the rack where the 270 attaches. Look at how the 270 attaches. Make sure you can open the RTT flat too.

Attachments

Power Wagon Mitch

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Washington County, Utah, United States
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Elwood
Member #

So, this handles 550LBS?
Yes, 550 lbs is the rating from ARE.

I had concerns about a couple things with it though.

1.) the frame system goes through the roof which could potentially leak water (I live in WA which is a big concern)- so far no leaking at all

2.) A fiberglass canopy is heavy compared to Aluminum. The Power Wagon has limited payload due to the off road suspension setup (1,444 lbs). I haven’t weighed it personally but the website says 190 lbs which takes a decent chunk off of the total payload.

3.) it’s tall...

4.) it gets pricey with add ons and custom paint (mine was just over 4K)

It’s always important to keep track of total payload weight, including people, to ensure safe performance.

I will probably have to install new suspension in the future as I add more stuff to the truck...lol

Good things:

1.) looks pretty sharp with paint matching

2.) holds everything I need it to

3.) very sturdy

4.) mildly insulated with the fabric interior option

5.) Tall enough to get in even with the Decked system

6.) doubles as a place to sleep

7.) I’m 220 lbs and have walked on the top without any denting or issues

Hope this info helps you make an informed decision

Cheers!

Mitch